Bicycle Laws - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 03-23-2010, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Bicycle Laws

Anybody know what the bicycle law is in Colorado. I had a guy run into the front of my jeep today. I was pulling out of checkers auto parts store heading south to Ouray and he was heading north to Grand Junction . I was doing at the most 3mph and this guy tries to swerve around the front of my jeep on his bicycle at the last second before i pull out. His tire gets stuck in between my tire and bumper ( think ) and he crashed to the ground. Lucky he only suffered from a minor ankle injury and police told me nothing was broken. I was issued a citation. I know i looked that direction but didnt see him. HE was wearing a black puffy coat and black jeans riding a black bicycle if any of that helps. Thought bicyclist had to follow same traffic laws as autos. What a horrible and to a rainy day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-23-2010, 04:11 PM
Rock God

Garage

Only law I know is you have to have a bicycle to live in CO.

That sucks for both of you. probably your fault as you were pulling out into traffic. Hopefully he's cool about it since if you didn't see him he probably didn't see you,he could of stopped or missed you if he did see you.

most states the bikes have same rules as cars but as a cyclist i've noticed that the cars don't seem to notice any pain when you hit them at excessive rates of speed so i opt for evasive manuvers.

got Jeep got stuff, never enough of the right stuff tho

Am I in deep enough yet?
post #3 of 19 Old 03-23-2010, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

yeah it sucks i think he had plenty enough time to stop., but chose to try and go around me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 03-23-2010, 04:26 PM
JKO Addict!

If you were pulling out across his path he had the right of way

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #5 of 19 Old 03-23-2010, 05:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
I'm not sure of the laws in Colorado, but in Michigan a pedestrian ALWAYS has the right of way and a bicycle is considered to be a pedestrian. It sounds like it's probably the same and thus why you got a citation. Yeah....sucks because it sounds like it was probably some moron on the bike.
So, if bicyclists are considered pedestrians, do they ride against traffic or with traffic?

That sounds fishy to me. I've always heard that cycles followed the same rules/laws as autos and rode with the flow of traffic and obeyed signs just as an auto would.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 Old 03-23-2010, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Colorado-

Bicycles should....

*Ride on right side of road.
*Never ride against traffic.
*Use right lane except when passing vehicles, preparing for left hand turn, or avoiding hazards.
*Ride on on paved shoulders and bike lanes when present.
*Use hand signals to indicate slowing, turning, or stopping.
*Ride single file.
*Obey traffic laws, signs, and signals.
*Never assume that motorists can see you or that you have the right of way.
post #7 of 19 Old 03-23-2010, 06:38 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
Pedestrians always have the right of way.
And in Ann Arbor they know it and will test your brakes on a regular basis.
post #8 of 19 Old 03-23-2010, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

i thought he was in the wrong. I was sitting still for about 15seconds stopped at the entrance to checkers waiting for traffic to clear and as i cpretty much coasted down the slope of the sidewalk i saw a flash and stopped rihgt there. I sware i was doing about 3 mph
post #9 of 19 Old 03-23-2010, 07:15 PM
Rock God

I would of kicked his ass for hitting my jeep. I've had that happen to me a few times in NY.... stupid kids hitting your car on purpose... gotta teach em a lesson.

www.californiasurveillanceinvestigators.com
post #10 of 19 Old 03-23-2010, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

i think its bullshit that i am to blame for a careless bicyclist. Just happy he wasnt hert really bad just a sprain ( i hope ). Not sure i understand why the guy tried to pass the front of my jeep heading the wrong way down a road. Good old monrose had 3-4 police officers there and 2 ambulances. I was first told a the scene that i wasnt at fault then about an hour later the offecer shows up to my door with a citation saying, i failed to yeild right of way to a ped when emerging from a driveway or allyway
post #11 of 19 Old 03-23-2010, 09:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

having just been hit by a car on my bicycle in almost the exact same situation. talked to a lawyer, and it was the motorist fault.

i was already in front of the vehicle and she was looking to the left to merge into traffic and did not notice me already in front of her. she gunned it and caught my front wheel and fork. it flipped me onto her hood and windshield.

i didnt want to take legal action but it tweaked my fork and front rim so bad that i could not ride it. ended up being around $800. the driver wrote a check for the local bike shop for repairs.

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
post #12 of 19 Old 03-24-2010, 09:06 AM
Rock God

Make sure you get a bike sticker for the bumper. 4 more and you're an ace.
Bikers are terrible here in Deer Creek Canyon. Ride thee abreast and act the fool.

2009 JK Rubicon Unlimited. Rock Hard skids, Skidrow Control Arm Skids, Shrockworks bumpers. Pro Comp 2" Puck Lift.
post #13 of 19 Old 03-24-2010, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

so what do ya'll think. My citation says if i pay the $90 fine before the court date i could get the 4 points knocked down to 1 or possibly 2. Or should i wait and go to court with this smacktard and try fighting it. Wifes dad is a retired lawyer for the coast guard and said try to pay without admitting to fault if they cant say i wasnt at faullt go to court and fight it.
post #14 of 19 Old 03-24-2010, 10:07 AM
Rock God

showing up is always better. My 2 cents

2009 JK Rubicon Unlimited. Rock Hard skids, Skidrow Control Arm Skids, Shrockworks bumpers. Pro Comp 2" Puck Lift.
post #15 of 19 Old 03-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Rock God

Don't fight it...you will lose. It is rather stupid that a bike is considered a pedestrian and yet they can use the road like a real vehicle. I have absolutely no faith in the court system in this country. A buddy of mine was not moving...sitting completely still in his Cherokee when a cyclist ran into him...flat out ran into him. The cyclist sued my friend and won. Why? Because my friend was not in park. He was in drive in a parking lot exit getting ready to go out on the street. He wasn't even over the sidewalk...cyclist turned into the parking lot too fast and slammed into the front of his Cherokee.

And before you ask how the judge knew my friend was in park...the prosecutor asked him in court and my friends reply was. "Of course I was in drive...I was getting ready to enter the road and had my foot on the brake."

Common sense isn't just "not so common"...it is dead and cremated.
post #16 of 19 Old 03-24-2010, 11:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

once again with everyone else. just pay the $90. if you go to court with it you will lose.
if you take it to court then you have court cost and probably end up buying the guy a new bike

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
post #17 of 19 Old 03-24-2010, 07:18 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I absolutely HATE the cyclists here in Colo. They have the right to use the roads however they feel. (insert sarchastic voicehere) "Oh look at me in my gay ass spandex riding 3 bikes side by side on a 65mph road". We should have free reign to run over these dumb bastards. They want to use the road, but when its not convinient, they choose not to abide by traffic laws. I've seen quite a few of these little pricks get hit, and it has ALWAYS been the bikes fault. I laugh every single time and think to my self "well, maybe that ONE will finally learn a lesson." I have absolutely no sympathy for some bike ass hole running a stop sign, then having to pull his ass out of my tire tread.

PS, stay out of Boulder, its like the god damned tour de france up there.

My sig is HUGE in Japan
post #18 of 19 Old 03-24-2010, 07:23 PM
Rock God

I fuckin wreckeid lik this onec
Attached Images

Póg mo thóin!
post #19 of 19 Old 03-24-2010, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

that picture is crazy. My guy just fell over
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode