Opinion's on Death Wabble????? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 04-06-2015, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Opinion's on Death Wabble?????

Going to make this short. I have replaced many front end parts with no luck including Ball Joints. What are the chances of an alignment fixing this problem?? I haven't done that yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-06-2015, 12:10 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonguy View Post
Going to make this short. I have replaced many front end parts with no luck including Ball Joints. What are the chances of an alignment fixing this problem?? I haven't done that yet.
Torque, wheel balance and alignment are some of the first things that should be checked.
post #3 of 16 Old 04-06-2015, 05:36 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to ChicagoNative

A few years back I had the death wobble on my otherwise stock JKU. It got so bad that when I would make the 5 hour drive home, I'd have to drive 45 mph otherwise I'd get wobble, and even then it happened maybe 7-8 times on the drive home. It was at about 50k miles. I found this write-up on here and handed it to a mechanic I trusted. He ended up diagnosing it fairly easily, thanked me for showing him the write-up, installed NAPA OEM suspension parts throughout, and haven't had death wobble since. That's my experience with death wobble.

Ian

2007 JK Unlimited X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 04-06-2015, 07:21 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Planman's the Death Wobble man with the plan. None better.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015
post #5 of 16 Old 04-07-2015, 04:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

My opinion is DW sucks!

As Rubi mentions use Planman's DW diagnoses, watch the videos, and then work through it step by step.

Here it is:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30723

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken
post #6 of 16 Old 04-07-2015, 05:09 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUCKDOG View Post
My opinion is DW sucks!

As Rubi mentions use Planman's DW diagnoses, watch the videos, and then work through it step by step.

Here it is:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30723
Chicago mentioned the write up as well.

There are no opinions on death wobble. Only diagnosis' and facts. You're dealing with a series of mechanical systems working in sync.. Follow that write up and you won't have issues. Skip pieces of information in that writeup and we get to call you dumb.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #7 of 16 Old 04-07-2015, 06:28 AM
Rock God

Take it for what its worth...after a full week of pulling, changing, checking and watching planmans video 20 times I finally decided the only thing I had not checked was the upper and lower RK control arms. I pulled all 4 off last night, the lowers seemed fine, snug and smooth. The upper krawler joints were locked up tight...added grease but no luck, took out grease zerk and found gritty black buildup in them, appears that the poly bushing has disintegrated.

Installed all 4 factory arms, drove much better, very light shimmy when I hit the same bump that was causing full on death wobble at 28 mph. I was able to drive to work this morning vs catching a ride. At this point I'm at a loss as to the real underlying issue of why the RK joints failed with only 3,000 miles and 3 months of use. Calling them today to see.

2014 JKUR, 3.5" X Factor RK lift, 40" Nitto Trail Grappler's, RIPP supercharger and UD60s.
post #8 of 16 Old 04-08-2015, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I just can't believe I need to replace every mechanical part on the front end of my JK to be sure I find all the culperts that could possibly be causing this issue! This is nothing but poor quality junk parts from Chrysler!! This Jeep has 50,000 miles on it!! I don't deal with this kind of stuff well, I like good quality like I get from my Honda's and Toyota's! Sorry if this offends anyone!! I have already replaced trans lines and ball joint on this clunker, just shocked at the quality of the JK's that I love so much!!! Oh, it uses some oil too! This is a mall crawler not a woods Jeep, so it's not abused!!
post #9 of 16 Old 04-08-2015, 05:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I just can't believe I need to replace every mechanical part on the front end of my JK to be sure I find all the culperts that could possibly be causing this issue! This is nothing but poor quality junk parts from Chrysler!! This Jeep has 50,000 miles on it!! I don't deal with this kind of stuff well, I like good quality like I get from my Honda's and Toyota's! Sorry if this offends anyone!! I have already replaced trans lines and ball joint on this clunker, just shocked at the quality of the JK's that I love so much!!! Oh, it uses some oil too! This is a mall crawler not a woods Jeep, so it's not abused!!
Did you read Planman's thread?

You don't need to replace every part, you need to check every part and then replace anything that is worn out.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 16 Old 04-08-2015, 07:17 AM
Rock God

Quote:
This is why when friends tell me they are thinking of buying a Wrangeler my first question is "do you plan to go offroad with it?" If the answer is no, I tell them to forgot about buying a Wrangler. Get something more reliable and well engineered. If they do plan to off road it, then full speed ahead!
post #11 of 16 Old 04-08-2015, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

The only reason I have a Wrangler is because I love the looks of it and the convertible. I got rid of a late model corvette for this so I can take friends. It was about the same thing,, had 40,000 easy miles and had lots of problems with it as well. Just sold an 07 Camry with 190,000 and never a problem!!! Just don't understand it!!!
post #12 of 16 Old 04-08-2015, 07:37 AM
Rock God

Quote:
The only reason I have a Wrangler is because I love the looks of it and the convertible. I got rid of a late model corvette for this so I can take friends. It was about the same thing,, had 40,000 easy miles and had lots of problems with it as well. Just sold an 07 Camry with 190,000 and never a problem!!! Just don't understand it!!!
I have a 2004 Titan with 148,000 miles. Replaced a leaking rear axle seal and some electrical component. That's it. My wife has a 2004 Toyota with 215,000 miles. Replaced the struts and rear shocks. Its the engineering..........
post #13 of 16 Old 04-08-2015, 07:48 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to ChicagoNative

Quote:
Let's not forget that Hondas and Toyotas are technically more American than any other auto-manufacturer.

Maybe think of it as a time to upgrade

Ian

2007 JK Unlimited X
post #14 of 16 Old 04-08-2015, 08:03 PM
Wheeler

I just bought a jk to do a 1 ton swap on I have had many jeeps, I got a deal I could not pass because it had unbearable death shake and a clunk in the front that was no good, the clunk in the front was a bad cv that I fixed of free the death wabble was fixed wit a 1/8 th toe out I know you want Tow in but went out now it drives perfect might want to give it a shot.
post #15 of 16 Old 04-08-2015, 08:15 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Track bar... often the culprit - Check Planmans DW thread and videos

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #16 of 16 Old 04-10-2015, 01:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmmns View Post
Track bar... often the culprit - Check Planmans DW thread and videos
We can lead a horse to water, or Planman's DW thread, but.......

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode