Generic Grade 8 Bolts??? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 04-04-2015, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Generic Grade 8 Bolts???

So... today I was doing some work on the Jeep and had a sway bar link disconnected. I buggered the threads while I was putting back on. So I could drive it right away, I went to the hardware store and bought a generic, anodized, grade 8 nut and bolt.

The bolt is a little longer than the original and the color doesn't match the rest of the bolts. It seems to be working fine, but the OCD in me knows its wrong and even though I can't see it, I want to change it. However, the bolt from the hardware store was $1 and the factory replacement from the dealer is $10.

Should I leave the generic bolt in there? Will it last for 50 years or is the weather going to rust it out in a few years? Should I buy the correct bolt because its "the correct bolt" or do I save my money?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-04-2015, 09:26 PM
Rock God

When you said anodized, do you mean it was zinc plated (a bit of a gold-ish coloring?). Zinc is a rust resistant coating. Not rust proof, but not like a bare steel bolt either.

Should be totally fine. I wouldn't worry about it at all. Everybody is bothered by different things, and I'm extremely picky about certain things. This situation wouldn't bother me a bit.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-04-2015, 11:49 PM
Granite Guru

Yes, anodizing is an oxidizing process on aluminum; your bolts probably were galvanized.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-05-2015, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Sorry guys... I misspoke... I believe they are zinc (yellowish gold color). Its not labeled on the package, but I figured it was some type of coating.

I didn't realize anodize is specific to aluminum.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-05-2015, 05:24 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

All steel will eventually corrode. The Zinc plating and the yellow chromate coating on it only slow that process down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-05-2015, 05:59 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

The bolt you bought will be just fine.

USMC
post #7 of 12 Old 04-05-2015, 06:07 AM
Rock God

You are replacing a metric 10.9 bolt with a standard grade 8. They are not the same size. Close enough that it will be fine, but at a minimum I would replace both sides so they use the same size wrench.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-05-2015, 06:31 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcspaz View Post
Sorry guys... I misspoke... I believe they are zinc (yellowish gold color). Its not labeled on the package, but I figured it was some type of coating.
Could be cadmium plating.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #9 of 12 Old 04-05-2015, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I am going to put some grease on it to help prevent the bolt from rusting into the sleeve. Chances are, I'll be the next guy working on it. Might as well stack the odds in my favor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringer View Post
You are replacing a metric 10.9 bolt with a standard grade 8. They are not the same size. Close enough that it will be fine, but at a minimum I would replace both sides so they use the same size wrench.
That is the kind of stuff that bothers me. Not the same color, length, head size, etc. That is what is pushing me to replace it more than anything else. I hyper-focus on stuff like that to the point that its drives me nuts. LOL

I'm hoping after a few weeks I forget about it. Knowing it will be ok helps me overcome that urge. The satisfaction of not giving the dealer $10 helps too.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-05-2015, 04:09 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
Could be cadmium plating.
Most shops don't do cadmium anymore, too many restrictions by the epa. We do a yellow chromate conversion coating on top of zinc if you want yellow parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #11 of 12 Old 04-11-2015, 11:12 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcspaz View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I am going to put some grease on it to help prevent the bolt from rusting into the sleeve. Chances are, I'll be the next guy working on it. Might as well stack the odds in my favor.

That is the kind of stuff that bothers me. Not the same color, length, head size, etc. That is what is pushing me to replace it more than anything else. I hyper-focus on stuff like that to the point that its drives me nuts. LOL

I'm hoping after a few weeks I forget about it. Knowing it will be ok helps me overcome that urge. The satisfaction of not giving the dealer $10 helps too.
Why don't you just buy a graded metric bolt from the hardware store? it won't be 10 bucks....
post #12 of 12 Old 04-12-2015, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

I went to 3 hardware stores in my area and couldn't find the right size. The standard is just a fraction of an inch smaller, but almost perfect, so I decided to buy the standard before I spent $10 in gas trying not to buy a $10 bolt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode