JK Auto Tranny Cooler ? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-21-2010, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Question JK Auto Tranny Cooler ?

Even though they came with the stock cooler in front of the radiator, how many are installing a backup cooler for the autos? I have read some stuff on other sites saying the tranny temp is dropping from 220 normal driving with big tires down to like the 170-180 range with the backup coolers. I went and got one and kinda been draggin feet on the install, I think it sounds good anyways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-22-2010, 04:21 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I finally picked mine up Saturday and plan to have it in by the weekend. It's an Imperial plate style by Hayden, similar to this one.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2458

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-22-2010, 05:12 AM
Rock God

I say if you're gonna go, go large. I installed the B&M 70297. I like having the extra cooling fan in there for when it gets really hot on the slow crawls.

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-30-2010, 11:28 AM
Wheeler

Smile JK Auto Tranny Cooler

I installed a Derale 21" Heat Sink Coller in the front of the condenser. It holds about 1 qt. transmission fluid.
Prior to installation, I checked transmission pan temperature with a laser thermometer, 60 degree day in AZ, 20 mile trip, the temperature averaged 178 degrees.
After cooler install, similar driving conditions, average transmission pan temp, 148 degrees.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-14-2010, 03:33 PM
Granite Guru

does anyone know the normal operating temp for the jk transmission? I just orderd a B&M system with a fan and 175 degree temp switch i want to make sure that the normal temp is not above that and will keep triggereing the fan all the time.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-14-2010, 07:38 PM
Granite Guru

I believe it's 180 degrees. According to the FSM, the dipstick full mark is with the transmission at "normal operating temperature of 180 degrees".

2007 Stone White Rubicon
post #7 of 9 Old 04-14-2010, 09:38 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

This looks like a good idea. I've seen examples of these with out the fans, has any got details of the installation of one with the fan?

2008 Rubicon, 4 door Detonator yellow, 3.5" lift, Motech LS 6L engine conversion, RR Skids.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-15-2010, 05:46 AM
Rock God

I have the Hayden 404 Trans Cooler and it works great for me! It was pretty cheap. I don't think I need one with a fan.. Just more problems with water!!

07 JKU, To see my mods & Jeep in Action @

CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-15-2010, 02:27 PM
Granite Guru

the B&M i ordered with fan comes in this Friday when i install it i will post pics and give some reveiws on how it is performing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode