Grease & Grease Gun Recommendations - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-31-2015, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Grease & Grease Gun Recommendations

I'm going to pick up some grease and a gun to add to my tools. When I looked up the Synergy Grease this comes up and shows "frequently bought together": Amazon: Synergy Grease & Lumax Grease gun bought together

Any thoughts on the grease gun or do you recommend a particular model/type?

Also, which one would you choose...Synergy Grease or Amsoil Synthetic Polymeric Off-Road Grease...or do you recommend another particular brand (specific product)?

I don't have to have the most expensive or the absolute top of the line, but I do like to buy quality. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-31-2015, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Also, any preference as to pistol grip or lever style gun?
post #3 of 10 Old 03-31-2015, 03:08 PM
Granite Guru

Pistol grip, you can use it one handed.

2013 JKR - with one of everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-31-2015, 04:43 PM
Granite Guru

A pistol grip grease gun can be found cheap at any farm store, home depot type store or harbor freight. I use Lucas Red-n-tacky for most stuff, but have used Mobil synthetic on things like ball joints and u-joints with good success.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-31-2015, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

for balljoints from synergy to be wrrnty covered for a year , they recommend their high heat poly grease ; the stuff makes PAM feel like Velcro ... it is the slickest most durable consistency stuff I've ever felt ... I use it on the Synergy BJs and bushings and then thev Lucas red-n-tacky every place else . I run a greased pig.....

and oh , pistol grip + 90 right angle grease fitting + a needle grease fitting for things like double Cardan cv in middle of the driveshaft or lower balljoints is good idea while your splurging on greases.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-10-2015, 07:10 AM
Rock God

I have Synergy tie rod/drag link/track bar. RK control arms with krawler joints. Rare Parts ball joints. RK rear track bar.

RK recommends a marine grease, Synergy recommends their grease, Rare parts recommends amsoil but Robbs2008JK said they told him Lucas was ok, which makes me ask can I just use the Lucas red n tacky #2 on everything and be ok?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ct_14319_14319 anyone use this? worth a damn for $29?

2014 JKUR, 3.5" X Factor RK lift, 40" Nitto Trail Grappler's, RIPP supercharger and UD60s.

Last edited by stretch79; 04-10-2015 at 07:16 AM.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-10-2015, 07:24 AM
JKO Addict!

I've been using Synergy's grease in everything.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #8 of 10 Old 04-10-2015, 07:27 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I try to find grease that is NGLI rated to GC-LB (see below for explanation) and is an aluminum-complex grease (look at the ingredients). This type of grease has excellent performance when there's a chance of water contamination

Way prefer the pistol grip type. I'm still using a manual-pump... maybe I'll get an air-driven one one day. The list of stuff to grease on my rig and on the F350 is pretty long anymore.

G - Certified for use in automotive wheel bearings
--- A - Good
--- B - Better
--- C - Best
L - Certified for use in automotive chassis
--- A - Good
--- B - Best
post #9 of 10 Old 04-10-2015, 08:18 AM
Granite Guru

+1 for the Synergy grease. Used to use the Lucas Red grease and it would melt/separate just sitting on the garage shelf.

Also bit the bullet on a DeWalt cordless electric grease gun after dealing with a couple of the lower priced manual grease guns. One of those tools that makes you smile every time you use it and the price tag has long been forgotten.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-10-2015, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
I've been using Synergy's grease in everything.
it's the sh*t , for certain. It's so thick a glob will hang for a day on an inverted spoon but I swear I think if you covered the floor with a thin layer you could ice skate across it without problem....it be some kinda grease .....( get what ya pay for )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode