Air Bags & Leveling Kit - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 03-27-2015, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Air Bags & Leveling Kit

I have installed a Teraflex leveling kit on my '14 Rubi, and after towing a trailer several weeks ago decided it would be a good idea to get some air bags. I am not exceeding the rating by any means, but the weight does squat the rear noticeably. This throws my headlights off, and affects handling.

The two trailers are a pop-up weighing in at a whopping 970 lbs, and 6' utility trailer (300 lbs) with a riding mower (650 lbs) that neither of which come close to the 2k tow rating even with two adults and two kids in the Jeep. In my situation bags seem to be the way to go.

Now the problem. The rear spacers for the Teraflex kit have this large stem that protrudes down into the coil. Does this pretty much screw me out of being able to use the bags? Would I just install the bag regardless and everything will be good to go? Maybe cutting the stem off would work?

I thought I would ask here to see if anyone else has gone down this path before I start firing off emails to Teraflex or spend hours chasing squirrels online looking for answers. In the ideal world I would just buy OME springs and call it done...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-27-2015, 03:57 PM
Wheeler

Don't bother with bags for those trailers. Use a weight distribution hitch and you'll not have any more squatting issues.

2014 Wrangler Sport. Rock Krawler 2.5 Stock Mod, Ranch 9000's, 17" ATX Cornice Wheels with 33" Duratracs, MBRP Light Bar, 12" Blitzpro LED, Spiderwebshades Ultramesh, Tuffy Conceal and Carry Box, Pioneer Mono Amp and Energy Sub
post #3 of 4 Old 03-27-2015, 04:38 PM
Granite Guru

I was in the same boat back when I was running a rough country spacer lift and towing my pop up. I considered exactly what u mentioned but I had the same issue of the lines not being able to go up thru the spacers. My pop up wouldn't accept weight distribution as most small trailers won't. I just dealt with the squat until I upgraded my suspension to a rock krawler 3.5 x factor. Once you upgrade your coils you will realize how overly soft the stock springs are. I now tow an an even heavier light weight travel trailer at 2800 lbs dry and the rear hardly squats at all and pulls even better. The bags are a good idea if you can figure out how to make it work or just pick up a set of better aftermarket rear coils. If it still squats with aftermarket coils then you could easily add bags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-28-2015, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I asked the same question on another forum and the only response said it would work as an air line guide. There does appear to be a "puck" that installs atop the bag, I do wonder if that would rest against the spacer's stem making it feasible or if it would just eat up too much height within the coil.

Getting new coils would be awesome, but that would mean new tires along with a track bar/bracket along with all that other good stuff to get it set up properly. With a kid on the way, that's just not in the cards right now. Bags looked like a way to get by until I can swing the good stuff. Might have to just suck it up and live with the sag for a while longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode