Different gas mixes in different states. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 03-24-2015, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Different gas mixes in different states.

So i don't know what the difference is between summer/winter blends and the blends that may or may not be allowed in different states.

That being said, i just got back from a long road trip from Houston TX to W Yellowstone MO.

Once out of TX i noticed an increase in fuel economy. I was avg about 14-15mpg (freeway driving) all through TX. Once in NM, CO, UT, ID and MO i was avg 16.5-18mpg. It cratered again as soon as i filled up in Ft Stockton once back in TX. These avg are all hand calculated, the carputer was calling 21.5mpg at one point which i know wasn't true.

Another things, my CEL light kicked on in Cortez, CO (on the way out) and stayed on until we were in Gallup, NM on the way back home. I didn't get a chance to pull the codes, but i think it picked up on a misfire.

A note about my set up:

Lift: 3.5"
Tires: 315/75R16 (34.5")
Gears: 5.13

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-24-2015, 04:33 PM
Granite Guru

I've vacationed out west twice a year for the past five years and notice the same thing.

Elevation. While the engine may have less power at elevation, you're getting better gas mileage because the engine is producing less power.

I'm sure I will be corrected. It's what I've found.

Edit: I googled and found conflicting reasons. Here's one that goes with what I typed that I had read: http://www.ehow.com/about_6744997_ef...s-mileage.html

Last edited by Dollar; 03-24-2015 at 04:35 PM.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-25-2015, 12:20 AM
Rock God

Garage

You have to watch your octane ratings as you go from place to place over a distance. Had a friend traveling with me to Moab pick up a tank of 85 octane in Utah. From St. George over the passes on I70 was not fun. He has a slide-in camper and was flat-towing his LJ and was having trouble doing 45 MPH at times. Truck started sputtering and acting like it had a clogged fuel filter when the engine was under load. He finally thought to check his owner's manual and sure enough the manual said not to use less than 87. Next fill-up everything went back to normal. I know that's not the same experience you had, but it's all related to the gas available in different states. It does vary.

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 03-25-2015, 02:36 AM
Granite Guru

The refineries change the composition of gas so it able to vaporize in colder temps in the winter but this process reduces the amount of energy in our gas. This is why fuel economy goes down in the winter. It's for our own good.

But the refineries use this to justify extra cost because they have switch from production of one gas type to another, they have to shutdown for maintenance in the spring, and every other excuse they can come up with to jack up gas prices. It just a big scam specially in California.
post #5 of 16 Old 03-25-2015, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimiDozer View Post
You have to watch your octane ratings as you go from place to place over a distance. Had a friend traveling with me to Moab pick up a tank of 85 octane in Utah. From St. George over the passes on I70 was not fun. He has a slide-in camper and was flat-towing his LJ and was having trouble doing 45 MPH at times. Truck started sputtering and acting like it had a clogged fuel filter when the engine was under load. He finally thought to check his owner's manual and sure enough the manual said not to use less than 87. Next fill-up everything went back to normal. I know that's not the same experience you had, but it's all related to the gas available in different states. It does vary.
Generally, regular in TX is 87, but i did notice that Reg in other places was 85. That may explain the slight missing at times, usually as i was just beginning to speed up.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
post #6 of 16 Old 03-25-2015, 12:37 PM
Granite Guru

Yeah our high altitude reg is 85 octane.

2014 JKU, red, 2.5" AEV lift,6.4L VVT, 35" Duratrac's. 4.10, Gen Right bumpers, VR 8000 winch, Pro Rock 44.
post #7 of 16 Old 03-25-2015, 01:18 PM
Granite Guru

Regular is 87 in most of California, with 89 as mid-grade and 91 as super/supreme. There are a few gas stations that sell race fuel (100 octane) sprinkled around but since most of us don't run high-compression/turbos in our Jeeps - who cares?

2013 JKR - with one of everything.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-26-2015, 04:47 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quick comment...
Regular = 87
Super = 91

Who The F**k uses "mid-grade" ??
You know what mid-grade is? A mix of Reg + Super...

And by the way, there is sometimes a little diesel in Regular gaz...
When they transport by pipeline, when they switch from transporting diesel to gaz (or the other way), they do not stop the pumps, they just switch from tank A to tank B...
So you get a few feets of mixed liquid in the pipe, called the buffer.
At the other end of the pipe this buffer mix goes in a side tank, and they mix it slowly in Regular gaz...
This way they do not lose a single drop...
They do not mix this krap in Super or in Diesel...
post #9 of 16 Old 03-26-2015, 04:58 AM
Rock God

Montana is MT not MO.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-26-2015, 12:19 PM
Granite Guru

I always use "regular" unleaded no matter where I am... With the ASSumption that it is equivalent to 87 octane at sea level. Never had an issue or noticed any significant loss of power or difference in gas mileage.

CURRENT - ordered 10/26, home 1/142008 JK Unlimited,3.8L,6-spd,limited slip,dual tops,tow pkg,all power
SOLD1999 XJ 4.0L,AX15,NP231,D30HP,C8.25
STOLEN1993 XJ 4.0L,AW4 ,NP231,D30HP,C8.25:::C4X4 THB:GDI 3row:K&N:JKS QD: Dynomax#17340:MagnaflowCat#23221:Surco 45x60
post #11 of 16 Old 03-26-2015, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadmt View Post
Montana is MT not MO.
LOL! It didn't feel right when i was typing it. I'm sure the fine folks in Montana would be aghast to be called Missourians and the other way around.

post #12 of 16 Old 03-26-2015, 08:36 PM
JKO Addict!

The different gas formulations are for emissions. IIRC there's like 60+ different combinations varying sometimes county by county... There can be 2 or more formulations depending upon the governing body in 1 city or county.

Gas vaporizes at roughly 32 degrees F

lower octane burns quicker, higher slower

08 2 door (yes they made them) 3.5 RK lift, 35s lunchbox locked 30 front 44 LSD rear

Ocala Jeep Club CERT member. Nation's 1st jeep CERT team

Proud to be deplorable

post #13 of 16 Old 03-27-2015, 01:37 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ockgator View Post
lower octane burns quicker, higher slower
Thus the knock from low octane gas -- also called pre-ignition.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #14 of 16 Old 03-27-2015, 06:08 AM
Granite Guru

MA/RI .. gas has too much ethanol, combine that with cold temperatures in the winter and gass mileage drops. Mobile/Shell midgrade is said to have less ethanol. I tried it. I get 1mpg more. it's more of a wash so it's not worth it for me. Not too concerned I didn't by my Wrangler for mpg. The Wife's car is for the mpg.. my wrangler is for fun and commuting to work three days/week (18 miles).

I stay away from Citgo, and Gulf. I run just Mobil/Shell regular unleaded.
Citgo/Gulf yields lower mpg. maybe their fuel has more ethanol.
Don't run Sunoco 85 octane either.

As everyone pointed out, there are a lot of factors for mpg.
elevation, air termprature, fuel formula, tire psi

When on the trails I drop 12 psi. When on sand I drop 20 psi.
When on pavement I run at 37 psi
post #15 of 16 Old 03-27-2015, 09:19 AM
Rock God

Garage

I live in FL near the coast and have been using NON Ethanol gas. The old stuff. I have picked up 2-3MPG on average over 3 tanks. I am getting an additional 50ish miles per tank.

I am hoping the Proposed ban in Oregon and Colorado(I think) will start getting rid of this ethanol

Obama's EPA just shut down your favorite ORV trail.

Last edited by StepsRide; 03-27-2015 at 09:22 AM.
post #16 of 16 Old 03-27-2015, 09:24 AM
Rock God

Garage

http://www.buyrealgas.com/#

This may help

Obama's EPA just shut down your favorite ORV trail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode