Question for you tall guys - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 07-10-2008, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Question for you tall guys

Got my ulimited a couple weeks ago now, and other than the issues being taken care of at the dealer right now, my only problem I've had with it is that my driver seat sits to high. I'm 6'5", and while the leg room is good, I sit to high in the seat, even with it pumped all the way down. I can hit the cross bar on the cage with my head if I lean back enough. Is there anyways I can get the seat to sit lower, or are there any aftermarket seats, or atleast brackets I can get to sit lower in this thing?

SOLD-08 Unlimited X, "jeep green", auto, limited slip, hushpower muffler, Aerotech Interceptor gauge,Powerstroke tranny cooler, skidrow evap skid, AFE Pro 7 filter, Teraflex leveling kit, EVO control arm skids, 15x8 Black Rock 909's, 33" KM2's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-10-2008, 04:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

I'm the same height with the same problem
PhilD and myself briefly discussed trying to drop the seat awhile back but I havent done anything about it yet
One thing that helps is flipping your rearview mirror over - it tucks the mirror up against the windshield frame and gets it out of your direct line of sight looking at the road

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #3 of 18 Old 07-10-2008, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

The mirror isn't so bad. My biggest issues are that my head is so close to the top of the rollbar (god for bid I should ever roll the thing, I'm worried about my cracking my head open), and when I'm stopped at a traffic light, I really gotta bend over the steering wheel to see the light. I'll have to check it out when ever I pick it up from the dealer, but I was wondering if maybe the driver seat sits any higher than the pass. seat because of all the linkage for the hight adjustment. Maybe I could find a used pass. side seat as a replacement if they are indead any shorter.

SOLD-08 Unlimited X, "jeep green", auto, limited slip, hushpower muffler, Aerotech Interceptor gauge,Powerstroke tranny cooler, skidrow evap skid, AFE Pro 7 filter, Teraflex leveling kit, EVO control arm skids, 15x8 Black Rock 909's, 33" KM2's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 07-10-2008, 06:41 PM
Rock God

glad to know others suffer... I am 6'5" as well

2006 LJ - current
2007 4dr Rubicon - sold Project- JK
2007 2dr X - sold JK-forum
post #5 of 18 Old 07-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Rock God

x2 on the mirror flip. It cuts down on some distance view behind, but it really opens up your forward vision. It really cleans up the blind spot 45 degrees to the right.
I moved my seat forward a little so my head is just in front of the bar. It's still going to leave a mark if I get rearended.

Current Mods:
  1. Cleghorn tailpipe mod
  2. Cleghorn side step ventilation with Gold Mtn. enhancement
  3. Heartbreak Ridge bumper scuffs
  4. Goler gas tank skid mod
  5. Miscellaneous pin striping
  6. Woods evap cannister relocate (Wow, an intentional mod!)
  7. 2"BB and swapped in stock Rubi coils and shocks (thanks Seth!)
  8. Calico fender realignment and texturing
  9. Calico "explodey the side step" ez removal kit
  10. Stock Rubicon rails courtesy of JackTuttle (Thanks Jack!)
  11. Solid Axle dif covers
post #6 of 18 Old 07-10-2008, 06:59 PM
JKO Addict!

I'm only 6'2" so I don't really have a problem. I slouch a lot while driving...so that helps, too. But I also came straight from driving Japanese company cars for years....so any clearance in the Jeep is just a blessing for me!

Yeah...for you tall guys, I'd at least suggest ordering some more padding for the roll cage. The stuff on the JKs is pretty much the cage, a plastice piece, and some minorly padded sipped covers. I know 4 Wheel Parts can order the padding, as well as some other sites.

Also....I think the Mastercraft seats sit a bit lower, but I could be wrong.

Dirty's Minions don't officially exist. They are a myth, a bedtime story, a whispered rumor. They are ghosts.

post #7 of 18 Old 07-10-2008, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

before I bought my JK, I thought that if I ever bought one, I'd eventually add some mastercrafts, but I gotta say, now that I have one, these seats are darn comfy, I don't know if I'd wanna get something else. I'm pretty impressed with them....just wish they sat lower.

post #8 of 18 Old 07-12-2008, 02:01 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I am 6'4 265 and I hate the seats. The side of the seat cuts into my leg, and I too hit my head. I have had three back surgery's and I used to be 6'5, so I could always suggest a back surgery or two to help with the clearance for those 6'4 guys to make them 6'3 After I get my bumpers... New seats...

post #9 of 18 Old 07-12-2008, 02:19 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Chris View Post
I am 6'4 265 and I hate the seats. The side of the seat cuts into my leg, and I too hit my head. I have had three back surgery's and I used to be 6'5, so I could always suggest a back surgery or two to help with the clearance for those 6'4 guys to make them 6'3 After I get my bumpers... New seats...
great suggestion,
post #10 of 18 Old 07-12-2008, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

chris, keep us updated on what seats you get, how you like them, and if they sit any lower.

post #11 of 18 Old 07-13-2008, 02:29 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

No Problem... I just wish I could try them out first, Not to many good 4 wheelen shops up here in New England to see things before you buy..

post #12 of 18 Old 07-13-2008, 03:29 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
PhilD and myself briefly discussed trying to drop the seat awhile back but I havent done anything about it yet
I looked at it a little. Unfortunately, the inside track is pretty much on the floor already, as the floor rises up at the center of the vehicle. So fabbing some new brackets won't gain you much, maybe 3/4" lower if anything.

Some aftermarket bucket seats like the Mastercraft Baja recliners would be nice, but not in my budget for now.

I'm only 6', and have the seat all the way down, and still worry about what will happen to my head in a rollover.

FWIW I actually find the seats to be very comfortable, some lumber support would be nice, but otherwise they are comfy enough for me.
post #13 of 18 Old 07-13-2008, 04:30 PM
Rock God

Install a gold Caddy hood ornament above the grill and do the Detroit lean...works for me.

'07 Rubicon
post #14 of 18 Old 07-14-2008, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

I whole heartedly agree, I think the seats themselves are great, very comfortable, I just wish they sat a little lower. I let my dad drive my jeep this past weekend, and he agreed, said they are real comfortable. Made fun of me for having my seat leaned back so far though. I said, I have too, or I can't see out the windshield. Once he hopped in it, he understood, hes the same height as me.

post #15 of 18 Old 07-14-2008, 07:05 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO View Post
Install a gold Caddy hood ornament above the grill and do the Detroit lean...works for me.
I know what your talking about. I probably look a little funny to people when driving. But hey, they world is not made for us tall people... Now let me go order some clothes online because I cant find any jeans in my length in the store

2006 LJ - current
2007 4dr Rubicon - sold Project- JK
2007 2dr X - sold JK-forum
post #16 of 18 Old 07-23-2008, 12:20 PM

Finally, somebody else with the same problem!

I'm 6'4", and I can't lean the seat back any further because my head impacts the sport bar, but having the seat sitting so far forward makes it difficult to see traffic lights etc.

I looked into lowering the seat, but as mentioned previously, the inner rail is higher than the outer one, so I'd have to get new seats.

I'd love to hear if/when anyone gets some new ones and how they worked out.
post #17 of 18 Old 01-23-2009, 11:05 AM
Granite Guru

Bump, 6'5, same issues. My seat is all the way back, all the way down, and reclined. I dont have that much of an issue with it though. More room than my tj's or yj's. I guess im just used to it!

Word of advise though, dont buy heated seat covers! lol you lose 2-3 inches!

- SELF PROCLAIMED CANADA'S #1 OFFROADING SITE!

2008 JK RUBICON
5" Skyjacker
2" BDS Spacers
40x18x15 Boggers
15x10 Beadlocked Black Rock Rims
JE REEL Drive Shafts
TeraFlex Adjustables
Rugged Ridge Vests/Daystar Dash/Raingler Grab Handles
post #18 of 18 Old 01-23-2009, 11:12 AM
Wheeler

how bout just removing the seat and putting in one used for funny cars. they are low and tuck you in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode