First Time Hauling Jeep Question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-21-2015, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
First Time Hauling Jeep Question

All,

I bought a 20' PJ Trailer to haul my JKU. I am certain I did the right thing by buying the trailer with dual 5200lb axles, brakes on both axles and I even upgraded the trailer to have the supports built on 16" centers instead of 24" centers that are standard, stake pocket D-rings and a WD hitch for my truck. Now if I only had a 1 ton diesel to tow my Jeep with...LOL!!

The question I have is if anyone is using through the wheel straps for hauling their Jeeps.

I know that there are all sorts of opinions on the best way to strap the Jeep down. I have hauled motorcycles, atv's and my side by side with no issue, I am just curious about the Jeep. I have purchased Mac's Tie Down Ultra Pack with the axle straps. I also know that the most accepted way is to criss cross the straps to the axle. I am just wondering if there is any experience with using the through the wheel straps. According to the research from the Mac's Tie Down site they seem to strap most of the high end cars through the wheels.

Rodney
Famous Last Words
"Here, hold my beer and watch this!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-22-2015, 06:54 AM
Rock God

Cars with unibody it makes sense strap down the tires.

On a jeep or other framed solid axle vehicle criss cross straps to axles probably the best. You have hauling experience already, so I don't have to tell you not to strap it down by the frame.

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-22-2015, 10:54 AM
Granite Guru

You are going about it right but.......

Typically I haul two Jeeps behind My Motorhome on a open trailer , DOT requires safety chains on the tied down rigs .

Mine are chained at the axles both front and rear . I can't see the trailer behind me in transit , except by a camera that only offers limited visibility .
That said you will learn quickly that straps are something that needs attention more often than you would like to think , Can't tell you how many times Iv'e walked back to find loose straps.

Check them , then check them again .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-22-2015, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphalt assault View Post
Cars with unibody it makes sense strap down the tires.

On a jeep or other framed solid axle vehicle criss cross straps to axles probably the best. You have hauling experience already, so I don't have to tell you not to strap it down by the frame.
That makes sense. There is so much information out there it is hard to tell what works best. I have all my experience hauling toys basically, nothing as heavy as a Jeep. But yes I learned quickly not to strap to frame or body of the side by side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick pickel View Post
That said you will learn quickly that straps are something that needs attention more often than you would like to think , Can't tell you how many times Iv'e walked back to find loose straps.

Check them , then check them again .
I check my straps every time I stop. I got into that habit a long time ago. It has saved me a couple times when I found a loose strap.

Thank you for the responses.

Rodney
Famous Last Words
post #5 of 9 Old 03-23-2015, 11:14 AM
Wheeler

Garage

While I don't own a JK (yet), my trailer set-up sounds identical to yours. After reading countless suggestions on the proper way to secure a load and still not having a solid answer I asked the guys at Mac's how they recommended to strap down... I secure the axle straps on the axle as far out as I can get to a decently flat spot and run the strap to the same corner of the trailer, I don't cross either front or rear, but due to the width of the trailer there is some side to side pull of the straps to secure any lateral movement of the Jeep.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-23-2015, 11:45 AM
Granite Guru

I personally cross the rear straps and run the front straps straight out, all secured to the axles.

I have had slight loosening of the straps, but nothing major. I always check them at fuel stops.

I have towed all over the country this way with no issues whatsoever.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- offroad inspired decals for your jeep
--
2008 Unlimited Rubicon - Silver (Locked and Loaded)
2014 Unlimited Sport - Billet Silver (Mall Crawler)
post #7 of 9 Old 03-23-2015, 11:46 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fguy View Post
I secure the axle straps on the axle as far out as I can get to a decently flat spot and run the strap to the same corner of the trailer, I don't cross either front or rear, but due to the width of the trailer there is some side to side pull of the straps to secure any lateral movement of the Jeep.
That's the way I have always done it. I could never see the logic of criss-crossing the straps. Seems to me that would allow the vehicle to roll sideways since that is nothing holding the corners directly down.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #8 of 9 Old 03-23-2015, 07:13 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
That's the way I have always done it. I could never see the logic of criss-crossing the straps. Seems to me that would allow the vehicle to roll sideways since that is nothing holding the corners directly down.
A few reasons I opted against crossing the straps was worst case if one of the crossed straps were to come off, in my non-engineering mind, the fore/aft and lateral stability is more comprised than if the straps are mostly straight. The other big reason was I could just see the straps chafing themselves, and for as much as the Mac's straps cost, I didn't want to tear them up.

Also, with the webbing material Mac's uses, if I make sure to have at least 2 wraps on the drum, I haven't had to tighten any of my straps when I check them... they really are nice straps.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-23-2015, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

I watched Mac's videos where they recommend not crossing the straps front or rear. When I did the search I found that the majority of searches turned up crossing the straps. I have always crossed my side by side and atv's. For no good reason other than that is how I was shown to tie stuff down.

I like the idea of not crossing the straps and I am looking into some of Mac's tie downs D ring mounts. I may permanently recess some of there 360 swivel d rings on both of my trailers.

Thank you all for the responses.

Rodney
Famous Last Words
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode