Trail Essential Tool - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-19-2015, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Trail Essential Tool

Saw this on Facebook, if reasonable in price, this would be a must have on difficult trails.

DeWalt cordless welder.

Quote:
It could be true that we recently had a chance to get a sneak peak at a new cordless welder – that’s right a new cordless welder. In fact, it might just be that we were able to capture these pictures of the welder that, rumor has it, is supposed to be released in early summer.

Here’s what we know so far:
Expected to be released early summer
Will support stick and tig type welding
Estimated weight between 30 – 35 pounds
Includes its own charger
Requires 110Volt
Can also run it plugged in
http://wylaco.com/articles/shhhh-dont-tell-anyone/

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-20-2015, 08:27 AM
Granite Guru

interesting...Could have used that a while back...
With it being Dewalt the $$ may be a little pretty. But seems like it would be useful.

OIF
post #3 of 10 Old 03-20-2015, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

I expect it will be expen$ive. However, having a rechargeable welder on board would be awesome!

Quote:
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-20-2015, 09:01 AM
Granite Guru

Red face

Hmmm... I wonuld be concerned about the battery life and getting half way through a repair and have it run out of power. For me if I wanted a welder for the trail I'd go with the Premier Power welder.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-20-2015, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy5 View Post
Hmmm... I wonuld be concerned about the battery life and getting half way through a repair and have it run out of power. For me if I wanted a welder for the trail I'd go with the Premier Power welder.
It runs on 110v, so you could essentially get a massive inverter to recharge it, but I am curious to see the specs and run time.

Quote:
post #6 of 10 Old 03-20-2015, 03:39 PM
VKS Fab

I wouldn't doubt it being a re-branded Fronius.

http://www.fronius.com/cps/rde/xchg/...m#.VQv4DY7F8zE

Handmade One At A Time
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GIVE US A CALL 559-392-3145
post #7 of 10 Old 03-22-2015, 01:06 AM
Rock God

Garage

I was looking at some of the underhood welders like Premier and Mobi-Arc. It would be nice to have something I could use right on the trail, but the prices are sky high.

For now I'm getting a Harbor Freight 120V stick welder to carry along on rides. Not usable on the trail, but possibly nearby if I can find a friendly business or homeowner willing to let me borrow some juice.

I wonder if you can run one of these small 120V welders off an inverter, and if so, does it need to be a true sine wave or will a modified sine wave inverter work.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #8 of 10 Old 03-22-2015, 08:42 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpInTheRoad View Post
I was looking at some of the underhood welders like Premier and Mobi-Arc. It would be nice to have something I could use right on the trail, but the prices are sky high.

For now I'm getting a Harbor Freight 120V stick welder to carry along on rides. Not usable on the trail, but possibly nearby if I can find a friendly business or homeowner willing to let me borrow some juice.

I wonder if you can run one of these small 120V welders off an inverter, and if so, does it need to be a true sine wave or will a modified sine wave inverter work.
You'll want at least a 4kw super-beefy inverter, I had to fabricate additional machine gun mounts for our gun trucks pre-afghan invasion while overseas staging. Our SOF HMMWV's had 4kw pure sine units and they would go into overheat protection after laying about 6" of bead, while running the trucks, for a simple miller lower end wire-feed fluxcore. I was forced to run them off the trucks when the camp wiring for the tents we were in @ the airbase didn't have enough oomph..... and I blacked out a battalion minus area of tents for a couple hours after trying and finding that fact out, luckily I had my CO and 1SG to buffer the fallout from that as they directly had asked for the modifications to be done to our vehicles.

Honestly a dedicated solution is better than incorporating the significant losses and heat generation/hardware necessary to be go from 12VDC to 120VAC never mind the amperage. I'd sooner just carry sticks to weld with and cobble up a welder jumper cable set so you could do things this way:

post #9 of 10 Old 03-23-2015, 07:00 PM
Granite Guru

Fronius 150 is $3100...
post #10 of 10 Old 03-23-2015, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Chump change! Ahhh, so DeWalt and Fronius share pricing strategies.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode