Fuel filler covers- Which one do you have? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 Old 03-18-2015, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Fuel filler covers- Which one do you have?

I always thought that the fuel hatch covers were kinda on the cosmetic side of things but I'm wanting to see what you all have and if you feel that it does a good job of keeping water/ contaminants out of the plastic OEM housing and subsequently out of the fuel filler. I just don't trust the seal on the OEM gas-cap nor on the locking gas-cap either.

What brand do you have?

Do you like it?

Does it keep water out of the fuel-filler housing?

Thanks much for any input.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 03-18-2015, 08:45 PM
Granite Guru

I keep thinking of getting one of these covers too but all the ones I've seen look pretty cheap in terms of quality. I'd also like to see if any good ones are out there.

BTW, if the seal on your gas cap is failing the cover may save your filler from dirt but isn't going to stop the check engine light from coming on.

2013 JKR - with one of everything.
post #3 of 43 Old 03-18-2015, 08:49 PM
Granite Guru

I bought one for a boat. I like it real well. It has has a lid that flips up and stays attached. I don't think it has a vent except when the lid is open. I can check and see next time I am out.

Attwood 911806 Black 1 1/2 Inch Plastic Angled Vented Gasoline Boat Deck Fill

http://greatlakesskipper.com/attwood...boat-deck-fill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 Old 03-18-2015, 09:28 PM
Granite Guru

i'm lookin at some on ebay ...but i don't know if i want a chrome or black one ...
post #5 of 43 Old 03-18-2015, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

NO issue with CEL. I know that it must seal to some extent, but I still feel like a cover might make me feel a little more at ease... like when I'm washing the Jeep or it's raining sideways... just extra insurance to keep shit out.

No chrome for me... only looking for black.. the less blingy crap on it the better. I don't even like the Mopar logo-d ones, although if someone can give me some positive feedback on that one, I'd consider it.

It also has to be absolutely no larger diameter than the OEM plastic piece. because I have corner guards that fit very snug around it.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #6 of 43 Old 03-18-2015, 09:45 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I don't even like the Mopar logo-d ones, although if someone can give me some positive feedback on that one, I'd consider it.
Stub, I think you'd look really pretty with a Mopar logo'd fuel filler cover. Positive enough? Considering it now?

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #7 of 43 Old 03-18-2015, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

I look really fucking pretty no matter what I've got covering my fill-hole.

Your point is moot at best.

post #8 of 43 Old 03-18-2015, 09:52 PM
Random Dude

^^^

EDIT: on-topic, I have a Mopar locking gas cap and no fuel filler cover.

The cover won't affect sealing at all and won't keep dust out of the filler area, but it may have some advantage beyond the immeasurable aerodynamic improvement.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful

Last edited by ExWrench; 03-18-2015 at 10:43 PM.
post #9 of 43 Old 03-18-2015, 11:04 PM
Wheeler

I picked up an OEM (from China) Mopar one on eBay for around $30. Perfect fit and finish.

2013 COMMANDO GREEN
6-Speed, A/C, 3.73's
Support the 2nd Amendment - It's your right!
MOLON LABE
post #10 of 43 Old 03-19-2015, 07:04 AM
Rock God

Garage

I need to get a locking cover; my gas keeps getting siphoned

"Gremlin"
Nothing in my jeep is sacred, except my jelly beans and apple liquorice. Don't touch those...
post #11 of 43 Old 03-19-2015, 08:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneJK View Post
For real..?

I thought they made siphoning of gas from newer cars damn near impossaible.

How I LEARNED TO STOP GIVING A SHIT AND LOVE MINDLESS SELF INDULGENCE

Itís time to reevaluate the way we coddle the future generation. Making mistakes and getting hurt is how you grow. Teaching kids to fear Pop Tarts is how you promote xenophobia. Letís get it together, America.
post #12 of 43 Old 03-19-2015, 08:26 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
I always thought that the fuel hatch covers were kinda on the cosmetic side of things but I'm wanting to see what you all have and if you feel that it does a good job of keeping water/ contaminants out of the plastic OEM housing and subsequently out of the fuel filler. I just don't trust the seal on the OEM gas-cap nor on the locking gas-cap either.

What brand do you have?

Do you like it?

Does it keep water out of the fuel-filler housing?

Thanks much for any input.
I got a rugged ridge one like this. The fucking locking mechanism sucks though. When it was new it worked great now I don't even lock it since it was such a pain in the ass to unlock.

But I think that you would need a gasket around the cover as well as seal the inside of the fuel area to keep water out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneJK View Post
That is why I bought one to begin with when gas was hovering over $3.50 a gallon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #13 of 43 Old 03-19-2015, 08:58 AM
Rock God

Garage

How about this one? Wouldn't want to put the wrong thing in your "fill hole"...

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
post #14 of 43 Old 03-19-2015, 09:03 AM
Rock God

Garage

I've got the mopar one. Had one on a couple of my jeeps now. It works fine, looks good, doesn't feel like it's going to break off. It's not going to keep dust out as it's not sealed at all, but may keep you from having to scoop mud and shit out of there.

From what I've heard the RR and similar ones that lock (mopar one doesn't lock), the opening is too small and they feel cheap.

don't have any experience with it, but the Drake one looks kinda cool.

Edit: Pain and I posted at the same time. ^ that's the drake one.

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #15 of 43 Old 03-19-2015, 09:03 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I've bought the Mopar version a couple of times and it is definitely worth the sub $100 investment. It cleans up the Jeep and makes cool noises when you close it. #makeitclap

post #16 of 43 Old 03-19-2015, 10:15 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
#makeitclap
Well...

Now there is an image I want to forget and now will never be able to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #17 of 43 Old 03-19-2015, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victim Of Pain View Post

Man... If it said "PENIS" instead of "FUEL"... I might buy it.

Not my style but thanks. I may hit up Markiss for a quote on a Mopar one.

Thought there would be a few more replies/ reviews... meh.

post #18 of 43 Old 03-19-2015, 01:56 PM
Wheeler

I have this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Mounta...af0662&vxp=mtr
Its black and it locks, my two needs. Keeps shit out of the filler pocket and cleans up the looks of the Jeep, two bonuses. Installed in like 10 minutes, I give the lock a squirt of WD40 every couple months or so when I wash the Jeep. Finish is holding up, no complaints.

Last edited by '51plymouth; 03-19-2015 at 01:57 PM. Reason: cain't speel
post #19 of 43 Old 03-19-2015, 03:40 PM
Rock God

Garage

Stub, I've got a RR one I bought over a year ago and refuse to put on. It's cheap feeling and the mounting method is to run screws into the OEM plastic to hold it on. Not my cup o' coffee. But . . . it's yours if you want it. Just pay to ship.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #20 of 43 Old 03-19-2015, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimiDozer View Post
Stub, I've got a RR one I bought over a year ago and refuse to put on. It's cheap feeling and the mounting method is to run screws into the OEM plastic to hold it on. Not my cup o' coffee. But . . . it's yours if you want it. Just pay to ship.
I can't thank You enough. My only concern ( with you wasting your time shipping this) is that from the pics I've seen, it looks as if it's slightly bigger diameter than the OEM plastic housing. I say that because when I see pics of it, it looks as if its flush against the tub/ body. I'm guessing that since you mount it onto the existing housing that they made it over-sized because it would look like ass if you could see that it was just screwed into the OEM housing.

I have zero room around the OEM housing due to my corner-guards.

post #21 of 43 Old 03-19-2015, 05:54 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Stube ole buddy, I bought this a few years ago and just don't use it anymore. You're welcome to it and I'll even pay shipping.
Attached Images

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
post #22 of 43 Old 03-19-2015, 07:33 PM
Granite Guru

I have a Mopar fuel cover on my jeep. I initially had AEV corners and now have Metal Cloak corners. No fitment issues whatsoever.
I don't know what corners you have, but if they are PS, it will fit. They are farmed out to the same manufacturer as AEV.

2009 Red Rock Rubi-MetalCloak Gamechanger + armor-37"MTR/K on 17" Birddogs-Teraflex gusset+sleeve-Yukon 5.38-LineX tub-ORH top-Igees-Shrockworks stubby-Warn Powerplant w/Viking synth
Tuffy-Genright rear-River Raider full skid-Tattons-AEV slider-Advance adapters-Poly stuff everywhere-ZERO rockrawler!!!!!! shiiite
post #23 of 43 Old 03-19-2015, 09:52 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victim Of Pain View Post

I actually kind of like this one, it's from Drake's offroad which is pricey but they usually do some quality gear if you like things a little more blingy without being over the top. I think you can get it all in flat black too. I'd do a little "custom" on it and get rid of the fake carbon fiber because that's so 2002 Ducati vs. modern Jeep.

2013 JKR - with one of everything.
post #24 of 43 Old 03-19-2015, 10:02 PM
Rock God

I have the Drake one also. You can easily remove that silver aluminum ring and paint it with color-match paint (or whatever you want) and it looks much better. You also don't have to have the "FUEL" label on there, its just a sticker. I never put mine on there and it looks much cleaner.
post #25 of 43 Old 03-19-2015, 10:23 PM
Granite Guru

Mopar door here as well, found it on Amazon for like $30. Looks much better than the gaping hole in the side in stock form. 40k on a jeep and an exposed gas cap just doesn't seem right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode