Fed up with these 3.21s! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 03-18-2015, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
sixstring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Southeast Texas
Posts: 209
Feedback: 0 reviews
Fed up with these 3.21s!

I can't justify the cost of re-gearing the d30, and I can't afford a d44 or junkyard 1 tons. I have been running 35s for about 12k miles but I am seriously considering going down to 33's or 285's. Should I expect to regret downgrading my jeep to see a marginal increase in performance?

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.
sixstring is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 03-18-2015, 10:23 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend
 
RiverCityOffroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8,649
Garage
Feedback: 60 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixstring View Post
I can't justify the cost of re-gearing the d30, and I can't afford a d44 or junkyard 1 tons. I have been running 35s for about 12k miles but I am seriously considering going down to 33's or 285's. Should I expect to regret downgrading my jeep to see a marginal increase in performance?
Why don't you want to re-gear the D30? You'll likely never break it with 35s on it. I hate to be a story teller, but I have a friend that wheels and guides trails every single weekend at HF and he's going strong with a D30 and 35" Toyos. He wheels more than anyone I know and has never had a problem. He's not easy on the thing either. AT ALL.

Re-gear it and leave the axle shafts stock. You shouldn't have a problem with the ring and pinion. You'll see a marginal improvement going down to a 285/33" tire. Don't waste your time and money IMO.

Marcus


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RiverCityOffroad is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 03-18-2015, 10:30 AM
Granite Guru
 
Fleshharrower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Half Moon Bay, CA
Age: 50
Posts: 296
Feedback: 0 reviews

To me, going to a smaller tire size is a downgrade in performance, you'll have less clearance for obstacles and less traction than you do now. Save up for the axle swap and I am sure the Jeep isn't really going accelerate that much better on smaller tires. It's never going to be a vehicle that pushes you back into the seat unless you do some serious upgrades (Hemi, gears, etc..),

2013 JKR - with one of everything.
Fleshharrower is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 Old 03-18-2015, 10:42 AM
Granite Guru
 
ledzep_06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: S Charleston WV
Age: 32
Posts: 250
Feedback: 0 reviews

Unless your ever planning on going over the 38" tire height, i wouldnt worry about tons...takes alot of tire to regain the lost ground clearance. Got alot of friends running 35"s on a D30 with no issue.
ledzep_06 is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 03-18-2015, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
sixstring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Southeast Texas
Posts: 209
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
Why don't you want to re-gear the D30? You'll likely never break it with 35s on it. I hate to be a story teller, but I have a friend that wheels and guides trails every single weekend at HF and he's going strong with a D30 and 35" Toyos. He wheels more than anyone I know and has never had a problem. He's not easy on the thing either. AT ALL.

Re-gear it and leave the axle shafts stock. You shouldn't have a problem with the ring and pinion. You'll see a marginal improvement going down to a 285/33" tire. Don't waste your time and money IMO.

Marcus
I've done my fair share of hammering on my D30 at HF and it has served me well. I have considered trussing it and keeping 35s, but I would like to be able to go 37's in the future. If I re-gear, I want to put a locker up front which adds up to some serious $. If I go back down I could be pocketing some $ after I sell the 35s.

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.
sixstring is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 03-18-2015, 10:53 AM
Granite Guru
 
ledzep_06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: S Charleston WV
Age: 32
Posts: 250
Feedback: 0 reviews

you could always do a lunch box or if you do a fullcase locker its generally just a matter of changing your carrier shims to get your backlash set back where it was. weve got it easy with the JK axles as the carrier shims are on the outside of the bearing races so need need to press bearings on/off for backlash adjustment.
ledzep_06 is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 03-18-2015, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
sixstring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Southeast Texas
Posts: 209
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep_06 View Post
Unless your ever planning on going over the 38" tire height, i wouldnt worry about tons...takes alot of tire to regain the lost ground clearance. Got alot of friends running 35"s on a D30 with no issue.
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234569

$2500 Is small potatoes compared to a complete d44 and re-gearing the rear axle. I think I could sacrifice some ground clearance

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Last edited by sixstring; 03-18-2015 at 10:59 AM.
sixstring is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 03-18-2015, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
sixstring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Southeast Texas
Posts: 209
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep_06 View Post
you could always do a lunch box or if you do a fullcase locker its generally just a matter of changing your carrier shims to get your backlash set back where it was. weve got it easy with the JK axles as the carrier shims are on the outside of the bearing races so need need to press bearings on/off for backlash adjustment.
I had considered doing a lunch box since bridges only get iced over about once every other year where I live.

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.
sixstring is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 03-18-2015, 07:30 PM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 163
Feedback: 0 reviews

I agree with Marcus, why don't you it right and just regear. As long as you don't push your D30 it will hold up fine with 35s. There's even a thread of folks running 37s regularly on a D30. This makes the most sense specially if you installed a lift to run 35s.

Obviously if you drop down to 33 or 32s the performance will increase but those 3.21s were always selected for fuel economy not performance.
spinlock is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 03-18-2015, 10:17 PM
JKO Addict!
 
ockgator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,298
Feedback: 2 reviews

What engine/ trans combo do you have? Makes a BIG difference. I run 35's with a D30 and 5.13 gears, being an 08 with the 3.8/auto it needs the gear. Guy I know has a 2013 with 3.6/ auto and he does just fine with 4.10's and 37's. Been with larger than stock tires for almost 70,000 miles

You can get gears with install kits starting at roughly $450 from vendors here on JKO.

I have a lunchbox locker in front and factory limited slip in rear.

The key to keeping a D30 alive is to watch the skinny pedal

08 2 door (yes they made them) 3.5 RK lift, 35s lunchbox locked 30 front 44 LSD rear

Ocala Jeep Club CERT member. Nation's 1st jeep CERT team

Proud to be deplorable


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ockgator is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 03-19-2015, 06:57 AM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 21
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixstring View Post
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234569

$2500 Is small potatoes compared to a complete d44 and re-gearing the rear axle. I think I could sacrifice some ground clearance
Dude looks to have had the ability(and skill) to do all his own labor, including the machining, which we all know would've added up to $$$$.
Nevertheless, $2500 in parts for all that is a pretty freaking good deal.
Great example of knowing what and how, and saving SERIOUS $$$$ in the process.
But METALLIC PURPLE steering and diff covers?
YoKev is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 03-19-2015, 07:05 AM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 21
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixstring View Post
I can't justify the cost of re-gearing the d30, and I can't afford a d44 or junkyard 1 tons. I have been running 35s for about 12k miles but I am seriously considering going down to 33's or 285's. Should I expect to regret downgrading my jeep to see a marginal increase in performance?
Yeah, 3.21's are pretty tall, and you ARE stressing the piss outta your drivetrain every time you lug it(like climbing hills in lower RPMs)
The best deal I've personally seen for a complete re-gear is about a grand, here in SoKal.
If you've got the fender clearance for 35s, you might not like the way it looks if/when you step down to 285s, but since you didn't mention anything about off-road performance I'm gonna assume the loss of traction, clearance etc. doesn't matter to you.
I got the feeling from reading a couple of your posts that you want to step down to 3's, and you're more or less looking for people to agree with you/give you a push.
It's YOUR vehicle, if that's what you wanna do, DO IT.
You also mentioned something about pocketing a fair chunk 'O change in the process(IIRC), an if that's the case and you really are looking to get back on 35's-the RIGHT way-, then put the money in your pocket, save some more, then come back at it when you can afford to re-gear.
If you don't off-road the thing, then don't worry about lockers obviously
YoKev is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 03-19-2015, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
sixstring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Southeast Texas
Posts: 209
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ockgator View Post
What engine/ trans combo do you have? Makes a BIG difference. I run 35's with a D30 and 5.13 gears, being an 08 with the 3.8/auto it needs the gear. Guy I know has a 2013 with 3.6/ auto and he does just fine with 4.10's and 37's. Been with larger than stock tires for almost 70,000 miles

You can get gears with install kits starting at roughly $450 from vendors here on JKO.

I have a lunchbox locker in front and factory limited slip in rear.

The key to keeping a D30 alive is to watch the skinny pedal
3.6 w/ 6 speed.


Me and the skinny pedal

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Last edited by sixstring; 03-19-2015 at 07:57 AM.
sixstring is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 03-19-2015, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
sixstring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Southeast Texas
Posts: 209
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoKev View Post
Dude looks to have had the ability(and skill) to do all his own labor, including the machining, which we all know would've added up to $$$$.
Nevertheless, $2500 in parts for all that is a pretty freaking good deal.
Great example of knowing what and how, and saving SERIOUS $$$$ in the process.
But METALLIC PURPLE steering and diff covers?
My dad just happens to be a machinist.

I could still DD the jeep as is until the tons are finished so I wouldn't have that much down time

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.
sixstring is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome