Please Help: Failure: Left & Right Multiswitches, steering wheel buttons - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 03-15-2015, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

Please Help: Failure: Left & Right Multiswitches, steering wheel buttons

I DID search and found some similar situations, but nothing identical to my condition.

Yesterday I drove my wife and infant daughter to my in-laws' for a little early St. Paddy's day celebration. On the way up, we encountered light-to-moderate rain, which had me running the windshield wipers on a low setting for most of the 35 minute trip.

Upon arriving at the in-law's I neglected to turn off the wipers when I shut off the Jeep (this may provide a a diagnostic clue) - but whatever - I do that from time to time. At the time I turned off the Jeep as systems/controls were working as I expected them to.

About 8 hours later, we're heading out to leave and I start the Jeep and the left multifunction switch/stalk will not turn on the headlights. The stalk seems completely lame as it won't activate fog lights, dome lights, interior lights, turn signals, etc.

I shut down the Jeep and restart it.
Twice.
I move the Jeep from my parking spot on the street into the inlaw's drive way and shut it down again.

I go inside, explain the situation to my wife - we come out, repeat the process. I also notice the right stalk does not appear to be able to stop or change the speed of the wipers -they continue to be active on the low interval that they were on when I shut the Jeep down early in the day when everything was still working.

Also none of the buttons on the steering wheel work to control the radio or bring up the mile/gallon info/system info. the only steering wheel button that appears to do anything is the cruise button- which lights up the cruise indicator in the display.

Lights all function using the keyless entry to lock & unlock the Jeep.

I had minimal tools with me last night, so I didn't even bother trying to disconnect the battery, reconnect and retry. We ended up driving my wife's mother's car home since it was already after 10PM and we needed headlights and turn signals to get home safely.

Does this rings any bells with you guys?
Both multifunctionals seem to be dead, most of the steering wheel buttons are inop, but near as I can tell, all the functionality that these things control all still actually work.

Any ideas?

2012 JKU
44K miles.

2012 JKU Sport
2.5" RK Max Travel lift with Bilstein 5100s, Rubicon D44/D44 axles, sway bar with Evolution Off Road NoLimits manual disconnect, Rubicon e-lockers, Rubicon 'snowflake' wheels, BFG MTs @ LT255/75R17 and Rubicon rock rails. Yukon 4.88 gears. KC HiLites LZR LED 3" cubes. Systems managed by S-POD and ProCal.
TIME FOR SKIDS and 35s!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-15-2015, 06:14 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

When my left multi function switch went out the right didn't do anything either. Changed the left one and all is good now.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-15-2015, 06:16 AM
A JKO DICK

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumpler View Post
I DID search and found some similar situations, but nothing identical to my condition.

Yesterday I drove my wife and infant daughter to my in-laws' for a little early St. Paddy's day celebration. On the way up, we encountered light-to-moderate rain, which had me running the windshield wipers on a low setting for most of the 35 minute trip.

Upon arriving at the in-law's I neglected to turn off the wipers when I shut off the Jeep (this may provide a a diagnostic clue) - but whatever - I do that from time to time. At the time I turned off the Jeep as systems/controls were working as I expected them to.

About 8 hours later, we're heading out to leave and I start the Jeep and the left multifunction switch/stalk will not turn on the headlights. The stalk seems completely lame as it won't activate fog lights, dome lights, interior lights, turn signals, etc.

Twice.
I move the Jeep from my parking spot on the street into the inlaw's drive way and shut it down again.

I go inside, explain the situation to my wife - we come out, repeat the process. I also notice the right stalk does not appear to be able to stop or change the speed of the wipers -they continue to be active on the low interval that they were on when I shut the Jeep down early in the day when everything was still working.

Also none of the buttons on the steering wheel work to control the radio or bring up the mile/gallon info/system info. the only steering wheel button that appears to do anything is the cruise button- which lights up the cruise indicator in the display.

I had minimal tools with me last night, so I didn't even bother trying to disconnect the battery, reconnect and retry. We ended up driving my wife's mother's car home since it was already after 10PM and we needed headlights and turn signals to get home safely.

Both multifunctionals seem to be dead, most of the steering wheel buttons are inop, but near as I can tell, all the functionality that these things control all still actually work.

Any ideas?

2012 JKU
44K miles.
The electrical system in these things is stupid. You had the right idea to disconnect the battery, let it sit and reconnect. The TIPM is a computer and can have "errors" that a "reboot" can correct, or so it has been explain to me. That is where I would(and have) start. At least the Grandparents will get another visit from their little bundle of awesome.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-15-2015, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrogMech46 View Post
When my left multi function switch went out the right didn't do anything either. Changed the left one and all is good now.
Did steering wheel buttons fail too?
post #5 of 7 Old 03-15-2015, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW View Post
Quote:

Twice.

Any ideas?

2012 JKU
44K miles.
The electrical system in these things is stupid. You had the right idea to disconnect the battery, let it sit and reconnect. The TIPM is a computer and can have "errors" that a "reboot" can correct, or so it has been explain to me. That is where I would(and have) start. At least the Grandparents will get another visit from their little bundle of awesome.

Good luck!
Heading up to get it by myself this morning, but grandma is gonna come down this evening to spend more time with the little one, regardless.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-15-2015, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Just disconnected the negative terminal a few minutes ago and am gonna wait a bit.

Hopefully it's not the switch, but if it is, I hope I can get one in the morning.

2012 JKU Sport
2.5" RK Max Travel lift with Bilstein 5100s, Rubicon D44/D44 axles, sway bar with Evolution Off Road NoLimits manual disconnect, Rubicon e-lockers, Rubicon 'snowflake' wheels, BFG MTs @ LT255/75R17 and Rubicon rock rails. Yukon 4.88 gears. KC HiLites LZR LED 3" cubes. Systems managed by S-POD and ProCal.
TIME FOR SKIDS and 35s!
post #7 of 7 Old 03-15-2015, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Just disconnected the negative terminal a few minutes ago and am gonna wait a bit.

Hopefully it's not the switch, but if it is, I hope I can get one in the morning.
This solved it.
Don't know how I feel about that, exactly...
Guess I'll be keeping a 10mm socket and driver in da Jeep.

2012 JKU Sport
TIME FOR SKIDS and 35s!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode