tough winter - my 2013 jk hinges started to corrode. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 03-12-2015, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

tough winter - my 2013 jk hinges started to corrode.

I've read the forums, apparently many jk owners experience this. I was surprised that my 2013 Wrangler door hinges started to corrode. I really don't trust dealerships. I want to fix it because I know it's a matter of a year or two and it will spread to the door panel. The corrosion just started and the driver's side lower hinge just started to loose paint and primer is exposed. so it's time to fix it. The dealer said to bring it over so they can take pictures and file a claim. Am I better off fixing it myself ?

Did anyone put together a how-to ? Also how to you align the door on the hinge ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-13-2015, 06:15 AM
Granite Guru

When i did this on my 2-door, I just made sure to replace the hinges in the same spot as I removed them from. since there is no paint/primer behind them, it was easy to line them up again.
i also had the hinge plates stripped and powdercoated at a local shop. I removed all of the hinge plates... the ones from the doors and the ones on the body, as well as the hood hinges.

I'm about to do the same with this 4-door, as I've noticed a white powdery substance creeping out from behind the hinge plates. Just need the temps to go up high enough to pull the doors and hood, and ride the motorcycle to work.

This time around, I'm going to replace the factory bushings with the Delrin bushings. The factory ones are toast.
post #3 of 21 Old 03-13-2015, 10:54 AM
Rock God

Garage

Yeah. I have rust specks all over my passanger hinge and door from the liquid/rock salt mix they use here. I know mine is 8 years old now but still.

Id strip and sand.

"Gremlin"
Nothing in my jeep is sacred, except my jelly beans and apple liquorice. Don't touch those...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 03-13-2015, 11:06 AM
Wheeler

I stripped mine, removed the crap dealer bushings and bought delrin bushings.

I think part of the issue is galvanic corrosion. Since you have an aluminum part next to a steel part. I ended up coating all sides of mine with spray bedliner last summer and put some silicon/right stuff between the hinge plate and the door just for a little more space. It's held up through this Colorado winter so far.
post #5 of 21 Old 03-13-2015, 11:35 AM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

I've read these threads several times about the "Corrosion of the door hinge" or "My paint is falling off my door hinge"

It's neither.... grant it the hinge/bushing may get a little corroded from salt etc.. but the paint chips fall off due to a simple cause..... Rocks from the tires.....rock flies up hits hinge paint chips away. I noticed this on my 2010 Rubi a couple weeks after buying it........ back in 2010 lol...

There have been threads with heated debates on "Jeep won't warranty my hinges" ..... of course they won't its from being used, it's a paint chip not a defect, the hinge paint isn't just falling off.

I just touch mine up with touchup bottle and go on down the road...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
We liked you better when we didn't know you. If you just fucked off we could go back to not giving a shit about you.
post #6 of 21 Old 03-13-2015, 11:43 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod View Post
I've read these threads several times about the "Corrosion of the door hinge" or "My paint is falling off my door hinge"

It's neither.... grant it the hinge/bushing may get a little corroded from salt etc.. but the paint chips fall off due to a simple cause..... Rocks from the tires.....rock flies up hits hinge paint chips away. I noticed this on my 2010 Rubi a couple weeks after buying it........ back in 2010 lol...

There have been threads with heated debates on "Jeep won't warranty my hinges" ..... of course they won't its from being used, it's a paint chip not a defect, the hinge paint isn't just falling off.

I just touch mine up with touchup bottle and go on down the road...
While you have some validity with rock chips on some peoples vehicles, I disagree with you that there is not an issue with corrosion. It may not be with all jeeps (yours for example) but my jeep is not the only one with the issue. You cannot tell me that the corrosion developing between the aluminum hinge and the steel door with no access for a rock to hit it was caused by a rock chip. I wouldn't be surprised that your jeep, in TN, has not been exposed to an electrolyte (salt etc.) to facilitate the galvanic corrosion between the aluminum and steel components on your jeep.
post #7 of 21 Old 03-13-2015, 12:15 PM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
.... grant it the hinge/bushing may get a little corroded from salt etc.. but the paint chips fall off due to a simple cause......
Quote:
Originally Posted by klif01 View Post
While you have some validity with rock chips on some peoples vehicles, I disagree with you that there is not an issue with corrosion. It may not be with all jeeps (yours for example) but my jeep is not the only one with the issue. You cannot tell me that the corrosion developing between the aluminum hinge and the steel door with no access for a rock to hit it was caused by a rock chip. I wouldn't be surprised that your jeep, in TN, has not been exposed to an electrolyte (salt etc.) to facilitate the galvanic corrosion between the aluminum and steel components on your jeep.
I didn't tell you that ......... and yes it snows in Tennessee well where i'm at anyways.

Quote:
We liked you better when we didn't know you. If you just fucked off we could go back to not giving a shit about you.
post #8 of 21 Old 03-13-2015, 12:26 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

COD is dead on right about the rock chips on the front side of the hinges. I had these no more that a month after purchasing my Rubi. A good fix for the behind the hinge problem is to remove the hinges, clean then very lightly sand the surface and clean with acetone. After that apply a coat of Extend or other corrosion inhibiting coating and replace the hinges. Use Jeep touch up to cover any area showing extend coating. NOTE: If corrosion (rust) has already begun, then prior to above steps sand or power wire brush to shiny metal. Good Luck.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015

Last edited by RubiCajun; 03-13-2015 at 12:29 PM.
post #9 of 21 Old 03-13-2015, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for response. Do you think a coating of plasti dip on the back of the hinge would help prevent any more corrosion ? I only have corrosion bubbles along the top edges. So I'll remove each hings, sand the edges, clean with acetone apply a coat of extend on the back and along the edges, paint along the edges.. apply plasti dip to the back.
Should I apply some Permatex anti seize on the bolts ? Hopefully it won't spread fast.. I'd rather wait for a warm spring day to fix this.
post #10 of 21 Old 03-14-2015, 03:28 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
COD is dead on right about the rock chips on the front side of the hinges. I had these no more that a month after purchasing my Rubi. A good fix for the behind the hinge problem is to remove the hinges, clean then very lightly sand the surface and clean with acetone. After that apply a coat of Extend or other corrosion inhibiting coating and replace the hinges. Use Jeep touch up to cover any area showing extend coating. NOTE: If corrosion (rust) has already begun, then prior to above steps sand or power wire brush to shiny metal. Good Luck.
What is a "Jeep Touch Up"? And what are some other corrosion inhibiting coatings?

Tammy
post #11 of 21 Old 03-15-2015, 02:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Both my TJ and JK's hinges bubbled first then peeled to reveal the white.
Google mirror mod. Its a small hole you drill In the mirror so water doesn't hold up in the mirror base and stream down over the hinges. Does it help ? Not sure .. My hinges are already fucked

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #12 of 21 Old 03-15-2015, 04:44 AM
Rock God

Garage

Jeep is aware of an issue with them, at least they were back in 2009 when my '08 Rubi 4dr was new. Had the front passenger and driver door hinges replaced and repainted under warranty hassle free because there was a TSB out for bubbling paint on them on my '08.

Proud to be One of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001-2010.

Semper Fi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by highoctane; 03-16-2015 at 05:38 AM.
post #13 of 21 Old 03-15-2015, 09:58 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Momma View Post
What is a "Jeep Touch Up"? And what are some other corrosion inhibiting coatings?
Touch up is paint that matches your jeep and should have come with your jeep if bought new. Used to cover up scratches, rock chips, ect. It's available at jeep dealers and most auto parts stores. I perhaps should have used the term corrosion neutralizer. Loctite makes extend and PermaTex is another one. When applied to active corrosion it stops (neutralizes) the process, forms a hard coating and turns black. Then you can apply the touch up paint on top of it.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015
post #14 of 21 Old 03-15-2015, 11:08 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
Touch up is paint that matches your jeep and should have come with your jeep if bought new. Used to cover up scratches, rock chips, ect. It's available at jeep dealers and most auto parts stores. I perhaps should have used the term corrosion neutralizer. Loctite makes extend and PermaTex is another one. When applied to active corrosion it stops (neutralizes) the process, forms a hard coating and turns black. Then you can apply the touch up paint on top of it.
Never got any when I bought my Jeep :-(

Thanks

Tammy
post #15 of 21 Old 03-16-2015, 04:28 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
It's neither.... grant it the hinge/bushing may get a little corroded from salt etc.. but the paint chips fall off due to a simple cause..... Rocks from the tires.....
I am inclined to disagree with you as to the cause of the corrosion I am experiencing for a few simple reasons.

1) The corrosion is between the door and the hinge plate. No rocks will reach that area

2) If you track the pattern of road debris being flung up from your front tires, you'll see that the upper hinge of the front doors is not in that path.
For example:

You can see that three out of the four hinge plates per side are within the area that rocks/mud/road salt touches. Yet the upper front hinges are the ones I first noticed the corrosion on. Plus this would not account for the hood hinges.

3) On my two door, the barrels of all hinges were showing the bubbling, including that of the hood. Now, being as it was a 2007, I believe Chrysler knew of a problem with the paint, pre-2010. My current hinges aren't bubbling, but the white powder coming out from between the plate and the door skin indicates something is going on.

Either way, they are going to be pulled, stripped, and coated. The bare areas of the skins behind the plates will be lightly sanded clean and primed.

Plus, I like the look of black hardware on the orange Jeep.

Last edited by Grimscale; 03-17-2015 at 05:09 AM.
post #16 of 21 Old 03-16-2015, 08:22 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Ya.... with your particular fender setup ^

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #17 of 21 Old 03-16-2015, 05:23 PM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimscale View Post
I am inclined to disagree with you as to the cause of the corrosion I am experiencing for a few simple reasons.

1) The corrosion is between the door and the hinge plate. No rocks will reach that area

2) If you track the pattern of road debris being flung up from your front tires, you'll see that the upper hinge of the front doors is not in that path.
For example:

You can see that three out of the four hinge plates per side are not within the area that rocks/mud/road salt touches. Yet the upper front hinges are the ones I first noticed the corrosion on. Plus this would not account for the hood hinges.

3) On my two door, the barrels of all hinges were showing the bubbling, including that of the hood. Now, being as it was a 2007, I believe Chrysler knew of a problem with the paint, pre-2010. My current hinges aren't bubbling, but the white powder coming out from between the plate and the door skin indicates something is going on.

Either way, they are going to be pulled, stripped, and coated. The bare areas of the skins behind the plates will be lightly sanded clean and primed.

Plus, I like the look of black hardware on the orange Jeep.
Lawd we I already cleared up the hinge aluminuminimimumumim part inside see above posts..... please see my second post above

And on the hinges I disagree with you, I have heard the rock hit the hinge jumped out and seen the paint chip, get in jeep carry on and hear rock again shazam another paint chip not the paint just falling off........

You guys are right the paint is getting a hyper barrier supersonic slam which is working with the global warming and this current admin to make the chips just appear....... I blame the Bermuda triangle!!!!!!!

but carry on

Quote:
post #18 of 21 Old 03-17-2015, 05:08 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmmns View Post
Ya.... with your particular fender setup ^
Stock fenders showed the same pattern.
post #19 of 21 Old 03-17-2015, 08:29 AM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Your'e making the assumption the rocks are coming out like water and regular raod grim.... rocks get STUCK in the tread and then are thrown out at whatever angle they come out, not just on your pattern.

Take a straight edge from door hinge to tire.... it hits.....then a rock can hit......

AND remember a lifted jeeps angle won't be the same as yours etc.... if i have to i can draw a picture..

Quote:

Last edited by Cod; 03-17-2015 at 08:31 AM.
post #20 of 21 Old 03-17-2015, 06:22 PM

If the dealer is willing to look at it, let them... The worse they can say is ''NO we won't fix this do to that''.

Then look at your options. Maybe well prepped and coated in linex material would be one of my considerable options.

But I personnally wash or at least spray my jeep every Sunday, no matter the weather, and coat the hinges with grease for protection.

I had the front part of the rear fenders covered with 3M tape, and if feasible, maybe covering the rear hinge posts would be another option on new or undamaged hinges.
post #21 of 21 Old 03-18-2015, 03:29 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Quote:
Really ??? wow. a stock width fender would do that... How about those of us with narrows or cut fenders ?

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode