Thoughts on this hard top hoist setup - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 03-11-2015, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thoughts on this hard top hoist setup

Any thoughts on this hard top hoist setup?

3/8 x 5" eye bolt in a 2x10. 250lb rating on eye bolt
1/2 ton chain hoist
2 400lb straps around the top to hook to chain hoist.

Chain will be pulled out of the way to protect from scratches as well as wrapping the top with moving blankets. Once lifted I will use a bungee to stop and spinning.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

2015 JKU Rubicon White
3.25" Lift
35" Mickey Thompson MTZ
Fuel Trophy wheels
Ace Pro rear bumper and tire carrier
D44 4.10
ACE C Gussets
Synergy LCA skids
Teraflex axle sleeve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-11-2015, 07:19 PM
Wheeler

Probably will do the job. I dont doubt the equipment. But I do really hate that its hanging on one eyebolt like that.

WVU Alum.
Coal keeps the lights on and the Jeep parts in the brown truck.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-11-2015, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I do too but I see plenty of setups with just one eye bolt and a pulley on it. Not sure how to do it differently. I did have a thought of cutting out the sheetrock, drilling a hole through the 2x10 and wrapping a cable around it instead of the eye bolt. But, I was trying not to cut sheetrock.

2015 JKU Rubicon White
3.25" Lift
35" Mickey Thompson MTZ
Fuel Trophy wheels
D44 4.10
ACE C Gussets
Synergy LCA skids
Teraflex axle sleeve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 03-11-2015, 07:34 PM
Wheeler

OMG!!! Don't use an open eye bolt like that.

At the very least use a closed, welded eye bolt. Have you looked at the replacement cost of a hard top? Don't go cheap on the only thing holding the $$$$$$$ part up.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-11-2015, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I looked for a closed one and couldnt find one. I'm open to suggestions on what to do differently. This is in build/test phase.

2015 JKU Rubicon White
3.25" Lift
35" Mickey Thompson MTZ
Fuel Trophy wheels
D44 4.10
ACE C Gussets
Synergy LCA skids
Teraflex axle sleeve
post #6 of 14 Old 03-11-2015, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

What about a piece of cable wrapped around the 2x10??

2015 JKU Rubicon White
3.25" Lift
35" Mickey Thompson MTZ
Fuel Trophy wheels
D44 4.10
ACE C Gussets
Synergy LCA skids
Teraflex axle sleeve
post #7 of 14 Old 03-11-2015, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

It's all about evenly distributing the weight.

The chains are big-time overkill and combined with only one eye-bolt, are unnecessary.

Best thing is to run 4 eye bolts in line with the overall diameter of the hard-top corners... although that may nor be feasible for your particular application.

You can use ratchet straps or good quality rope ( with at least a 100lb safe working load limit), or a combination of both. I use two ropes and thread them through the front facing mounting holes along the bottom edge of the hard top... and once I get those ropes secured to one set of eye-bolts, I go around back and run a ratchet strap from one eye-bolt- under the rear of the top- and up to the other eye-bolt. It only takes a little muscle to lift up the corners of the hard-top one at a time.

Then you can just drive out and leave the hard-top suspended.

I'm leaving out a lot of details but the way that I have mine set-up it only takes about 10 minutes to remove or to re-install the top ( 2 door).

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #8 of 14 Old 03-11-2015, 09:41 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Way overkill. See post 2.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...t=door+storage

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015
post #9 of 14 Old 03-12-2015, 06:56 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
It's all about evenly distributing the weight.

The chains are big-time overkill and combined with only one eye-bolt, are unnecessary.

Best thing is to run 4 eye bolts in line with the overall diameter of the hard-top corners... although that may nor be feasible for your particular application.

You can use ratchet straps or good quality rope ( with at least a 100lb safe working load limit), or a combination of both. I use two ropes and thread them through the front facing mounting holes along the bottom edge of the hard top... and once I get those ropes secured to one set of eye-bolts, I go around back and run a ratchet strap from one eye-bolt- under the rear of the top- and up to the other eye-bolt. It only takes a little muscle to lift up the corners of the hard-top one at a time.

Then you can just drive out and leave the hard-top suspended.

I'm leaving out a lot of details but the way that I have mine set-up it only takes about 10 minutes to remove or to re-install the top ( 2 door).
This.

I actually used to have a shed big enough to get the back of the jeep in. I used some old garage door wheel channel (idk what the hell that stuff is called) and bolted it horizontally to the ceiling. then welded a simple square frame together with roughly the same dimensions as the hard top and fitted it into the two channels on the ceiling. Then used ratchet straps (one on each corner), lifted the top just a couple inches. I was then able to just slide it backwards and lower it down without moving the jeep.

probably overkill for what you're looking for, but it was an awesome set up.

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-12-2015, 07:55 AM
Granite Guru

I don't have the ceiling height in my garage that many people so I ran a winch parallel to the ceiling and built a frame similar to the ones I saw for sale.

It works pretty well and my wife can use it with ease. Only bad thing is the rotation after the top is hoisted. Fixed that with bungee cord tension.

Last edited by LepreCon; 04-01-2015 at 09:58 AM.
post #11 of 14 Old 03-12-2015, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the input folks. So I am going to go find a piece of square tubing like in the above picture. I will secure that with lag bolts to 3 joists/rafters. Then get a full circle eye bolt and bolt that to the square tubing. Will this be enough?

I have seen quite a few write ups with people just using 1 eye bolt (open like mine) and a pulley, then another open eye bolt over by a wall with some rope and a hand crank winch. So I thought for sure my set up would be sufficient.

I have 20ft ceilings in my garage but my ceiling space is limited so a single rope/chain setup like mine is pretty much what I am limited to from what I can see. Thanks for everyone's help.

2015 JKU Rubicon White
3.25" Lift
35" Mickey Thompson MTZ
Fuel Trophy wheels
D44 4.10
ACE C Gussets
Synergy LCA skids
Teraflex axle sleeve
post #12 of 14 Old 03-12-2015, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Although I don't personally care for the thought of one piece of hardware suspending the entire top, that does sound like a better plan than your first idea.

Another reason that I prefer distributing the load is not only because it lessens the stress on the hardware, brackets, ropes, straps, etc... but is also so that stress on the hard-top itself is minimized. Make sure that when you hoist it up, that you aren't causing undue amount of flex or strain on any one location of the hard-top. Stress fractures, fatigue, and warping isn't always immediately visible so just make sure that if you need to make adjustments or possibly use some foam or rubber padding to minimize these hazards, that you do so.

Hard-tops are expensive to replace so just make damned sure that everything is secure and able to safely suspend the top for an extended amount of time.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #13 of 14 Old 03-12-2015, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LepreCon View Post
I don't have the ceiling height in my garage that many people so I ran a winch parallel to the ceiling and built a frame similar to the ones I saw for sale.

It works pretty well and my wife can use it with ease. Only bad thing is the rotation after the top is hoisted. Fixed that with bungee cord tension.
Where did you buy that square tubing?

2015 JKU Rubicon White
3.25" Lift
35" Mickey Thompson MTZ
Fuel Trophy wheels
D44 4.10
ACE C Gussets
Synergy LCA skids
Teraflex axle sleeve
post #14 of 14 Old 03-12-2015, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Although I don't personally care for the thought of one piece of hardware suspending the entire top, that does sound like a better plan than your first idea.

Another reason that I prefer distributing the load is not only because it lessens the stress on the hardware, brackets, ropes, straps, etc... but is also so that stress on the hard-top itself is minimized. Make sure that when you hoist it up, that you aren't causing undue amount of flex or strain on any one location of the hard-top. Stress fractures, fatigue, and warping isn't always immediately visible so just make sure that if you need to make adjustments or possibly use some foam or rubber padding to minimize these hazards, that you do so.

Hard-tops are expensive to replace so just make damned sure that everything is secure and able to safely suspend the top for an extended amount of time.
The pictures are just how it attaches to my ceiling in the garage. I am going to use ratchet straps to connect the hard top to the hoist. I have seen countless write ups of people doing the same thing. Looping two ratchet straps through the hard top and hoisting it up. Or I may build a hard top contraption like in the pictures above using the square tubing.

2015 JKU Rubicon White
3.25" Lift
35" Mickey Thompson MTZ
Fuel Trophy wheels
D44 4.10
ACE C Gussets
Synergy LCA skids
Teraflex axle sleeve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode