Shopping for some lights... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 03-09-2015, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Shopping for some lights...

I just bought a light bar that goes over my windshield and I was looking for some advice on what lights to get. Originally I was planning on the smaller cubed led flood lights but now I think that might be a waste of money because I don't think they will generate the light I would need if off road. I am trying to stay low profile but want a bright light. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Rowdy08; 03-10-2015 at 12:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-10-2015, 04:13 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy08 View Post
I just bought a light bar that goes over my windshield and I was looking for some advice on what lights to get. Originally I was planning on the smaller cubed led flood lights but now I think that might be a waste of money because I don't think they will generate the light I would need if off road. I am trying to stay low profile but want a bright light. Any suggestions?
Most of those cube lights are much brighter than you think. Do your research and buy high quality ones and you'll see a lot!

2013 COMMANDO GREEN
6-Speed, A/C, 3.73's
Support the 2nd Amendment - It's your right!
MOLON LABE
post #3 of 22 Old 03-10-2015, 04:25 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2373 View Post
Most of those cube lights are much brighter than you think. Do your research and buy high quality ones and you'll see a lot!
THIS ^^^

For example, the Baja Designs Squadron Pro is a 3" cube that throws 4300 raw lumens
And it does this in a controlled manner. <-- THIS IS IMPORTANT

Not saying you need BD lights, just saying there's plenty of light at the top of the food chain.

If you want big lights, cool. Just don't discount "little" lights before doing a little research.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 03-10-2015, 05:21 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
the light bar over the windshield isn't bright enough that you need more lights?

Blacked out 07 JKUR, safari straps, Treadwright 35's on stock rims and Spydertrax spacers, stubbied front bumper, trimmed flares, 2" body lift, 2" spacers in front with 1" spacers in rear, Gen Right Tire carrier, more to come!
post #5 of 22 Old 03-11-2015, 12:44 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I believe he is talking about having an actual light bar. a bar that you add lights too. not one of those LED lightbars that every Jeep has now days.

2011 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
- 3.5" Rubicon Express lift /w 1.25" BL
- 5.38 Yukon gears
- 40" Pro Comp MT2's
- Lot's of extra's
post #6 of 22 Old 03-11-2015, 12:54 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

OP, I can't speak for these new LED low profile lights but I use to run the 6 inch 130w (spot) KC Daylighters. I ran 1 of these on each bottom corner of my windshield and then I ran 2 of the 6 inch 130w (flood) KC Daylighters on my front bumper. I had this set up on my CJ7 and it put off more light then I could ever need out in front of my Jeep. in open country I could see as far as the terrain allowed. I plan on running the same exact set up on my JK.

2011 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
- 3.5" Rubicon Express lift /w 1.25" BL
- 5.38 Yukon gears
- 40" Pro Comp MT2's
- Lot's of extra's
post #7 of 22 Old 03-11-2015, 01:10 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

The LED cubes are plenty bright for most wheeling unless you're bombing open trails at 50mph at night. In that case you'd be running HID or bigger LED bars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #8 of 22 Old 03-11-2015, 04:40 AM
JKowners Vendor

Why not a LED Light bar? Our KOR LED's but out over 28,000 lumens of light! More than what you will ever need even if your bombing open trails at over 50mph. Plus, we offer a free JK windshield mount for them as well!

-Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #9 of 22 Old 03-16-2015, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Yeah Scott, I was watching some videos on the small cube lights... I think I will stick with those... Thanks for the input!
post #10 of 22 Old 03-16-2015, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrawlOff-Road.com View Post
Why not a LED Light bar? Our KOR LED's but out over 28,000 lumens of light! More than what you will ever need even if your bombing open trails at over 50mph. Plus, we offer a free JK windshield mount for them as well!

-Jason
Yeah those light bars are pretty bright...but when I have ever pictured my jeep it had a light bar with separate lights. I don't care for the solid bar of lights...just not my style.
post #11 of 22 Old 03-16-2015, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoCop View Post
I believe he is talking about having an actual light bar. a bar that you add lights too. not one of those LED lightbars that every Jeep has now days.
Yeah, you are right CamoCop...that is what I was referring to. And btw, I'm a Jeep Girl
post #12 of 22 Old 03-16-2015, 01:22 PM
Rock God

i have a buddy that has the "cheap chinese" cube lights and i was wow'd by how much light they put out. i was very impressed.
post #13 of 22 Old 03-16-2015, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
The LED cubes are plenty bright for most wheeling unless you're bombing open trails at 50mph at night. In that case you'd be running HID or bigger LED bars.
Yeah, I doubt I'll be blazing off road at 50 mph at night... maybe when I get more off road experience I'll go for pure functionality, but for now lights for looks but also function if needed.
post #14 of 22 Old 03-16-2015, 01:47 PM
Rock God

I have the Rugged Ridge light bar, which holds five lights (not overly fond of Rugged Ridge build quality, but I prefer the look over many light bars, and I got it on a pretty big discount).

I went with five Rigid Dually, spot pattern lights (not the D2 with six LEDs, just the standard Dually with 4 LEDs each). There are five of them, so despite being spot pattern I can fan them out enough that I get really good coverage, as well as distance. I actually have them pointed fairly low, since most of my off-roading is slow, and often in the woods, so I don't need crazy long distance most of the time.

The main reason I went with spots over floods is because I didn't want my hood to blind me. My buddy had some off-road lights on the top bar of his rail buggy back in the day and I remember that they were almost pointless to use because they lit up your legs and the front end of the buggy so bright that it nearly ruined your night vision. I don't have that problem at all with my Duallys. The hood is lit up, but not bright enough to be a distraction at all. Just some nice "mood lighting" of the hood, haha.

They offer plenty of light and I really like the look. And lets be honest, I mostly got them for the look. It's not like I really "needed" more forward facing light for off-roading.
post #15 of 22 Old 03-16-2015, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2373 View Post
THIS ^^^

For example, the Baja Designs Squadron Pro is a 3" cube that throws 4300 raw lumens
And it does this in a controlled manner. <-- THIS IS IMPORTANT

Not saying you need BD lights, just saying there's plenty of light at the top of the food chain.

If you want big lights, cool. Just don't discount "little" lights before doing a little research.
Nah, I don't want big lights...Originally when I imagined my jeep I wanted the big KC lights, but now I like the look of the smaller cube lights better.

I took my Jeep mudding this weekend for the first time. I definitely could have used the extra light (was at night on a construction site in the middle of nowhere... no worries, I didn't mess up any of their work...was splashing around in the entrance where all the big ruts were full of muddy puddles). Between those two night excursions and my snow time fun in the middle of the night a couple of weeks ago, I definitely need more than just stock lights.
post #16 of 22 Old 03-16-2015, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTB View Post
I have the Rugged Ridge light bar, which holds five lights (not overly fond of Rugged Ridge build quality, but I prefer the look over many light bars, and I got it on a pretty big discount).

I went with five Rigid Dually, spot pattern lights (not the D2 with six LEDs, just the standard Dually with 4 LEDs each). There are five of them, so despite being spot pattern I can fan them out enough that I get really good coverage, as well as distance. I actually have them pointed fairly low, since most of my off-roading is slow, and often in the woods, so I don't need crazy long distance most of the time.

The main reason I went with spots over floods is because I didn't want my hood to blind me. My buddy had some off-road lights on the top bar of his rail buggy back in the day and I remember that they were almost pointless to use because they lit up your legs and the front end of the buggy so bright that it nearly ruined your night vision. I don't have that problem at all with my Duallys. The hood is lit up, but not bright enough to be a distraction at all. Just some nice "mood lighting" of the hood, haha.

They offer plenty of light and I really like the look. And lets be honest, I mostly got them for the look. It's not like I really "needed" more forward facing light for off-roading.
Good to know. I had just started researching when I posted this...Agreed, it is more for looks, but I would like them to be functional too. So spots over floods. Thanks!
post #17 of 22 Old 03-16-2015, 02:29 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Good to know. I had just started researching when I posted this...Agreed, it is more for looks, but I would like them to be functional too. So spots over floods. Thanks!
Spots over floods was my preference. I doubt most flood pattern lights would be a problem, I just didn't want to take the chance that I never felt like using them because they lit up my hood too much. I might be pickier about that than some people. Like you said, I wanted them to be functional. Despite how they look, I would have been disappointed if didn't like actually using them.
post #18 of 22 Old 03-16-2015, 02:38 PM
Rock God

Exwrench hit the nail on the head

Controlled or directional lighting goes a long ways to not blind your spotters or those in front of you.

I use a 20 light bar and a set of D2's on the bumper and another set of D2's on the A pillars. Really puts out a nice array and covers any dark spots while not blinding anyone in front of me.
post #19 of 22 Old 03-16-2015, 05:30 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Nah, I don't want big lights...Originally when I imagined my jeep I wanted the big KC lights, but now I like the look of the smaller cube lights better.
Totally understand. Big-ass lights are old-school cool, but that's from before they put big-ass light in the envelope of ~a baseball.
I have a pair of stainless 130w Daylighters on the roof of my Baja bug from waaay before LEDs came around (insert old joke here).
They look cool as hell but, when they're hot and angry, one good "thwack" from a tree branch brings the darkness quickly.

If I ever put my Baja back together (needs engine and hours of love), I'm thinking about the KC LED retrofits for the Daylighters.
After that, they'll be cool to look at . . . and with (even after a thwackin')

Depending on budget, something to consider: Baja Designs LEDs have a warmer color temperature than Rigids and some others.
My eyes appreciate the difference in the light, and I just wish I could afford more of them (they're badass , but spendy ).

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #20 of 22 Old 03-17-2015, 04:50 AM
DaK
Rock God

would go with a combination of spot and floods up there. Have the spots aimed where ever you feel they need to be for your driving style, then use the floods to fill in and around them. As for which lights, would recommend the VisionX light cannons. They will give you the look you want and the performance. Don't know if they come in spot and flood, do know that rigid makes the spot and flood lights but are in the smaller cubes. In that case I would go with the D2's. The D2's are more expensive but the performance is head and shoulders above the dually's. Rigid now makes DOT lights. Have not witnessed their performance on the trail or street yet so can't speak to their performance.
post #21 of 22 Old 03-17-2015, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaK View Post
would go with a combination of spot and floods up there. Have the spots aimed where ever you feel they need to be for your driving style, then use the floods to fill in and around them. As for which lights, would recommend the VisionX light cannons. They will give you the look you want and the performance. Don't know if they come in spot and flood, do know that rigid makes the spot and flood lights but are in the smaller cubes. In that case I would go with the D2's. The D2's are more expensive but the performance is head and shoulders above the dually's. Rigid now makes DOT lights. Have not witnessed their performance on the trail or street yet so can't speak to their performance.
That is a really good idea (DUH! Why didn't I think of that). I have a white Jeep, so I'm not a fan of blinding myself. Prolly put the floods on the outer two. The light bar will only house four lights. I'll look into the D2's. Thanks Dak!
post #22 of 22 Old 03-17-2015, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

[COLOR="Lime"] Ex Wrench: Totally understand. Big-ass lights are old-school cool, but that's from before they put big-ass light in the envelope of ~a baseball.

[COLOR="Black"] Haha, I was trying to avoid referring to big lights as 'old school' or dated... but man when I had my envisioned Jeep back in the day, (i dont know why we are all trying to hide our age...if we were youngin's were couldnt afford JK's anyway) those big 'ol lights looked bad ass in my head.

Cheers to being old cats with bad ass JK'S!!!

Last edited by Rowdy08; 03-17-2015 at 11:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode