Old School JK owners? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 07-09-2008, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Old School JK owners?

I've been toying with the idea of selling my semi built 66 Bronco, tow rig, and trailer; for the new Rubicon. I thought I would ask if anyone out there has done something similar. I have alot of history with my Bronco but have less of a desire to work on the truck. I spend my vacations in Moab and sometimes the Hammers. I haven't been able to drop my interest in the new JK. I didn't even bat an eye when the TJ's came out.

The heavy factor is the lifetime warranty. Has anyone had any issues with Trail related breakage? The dealer said I can lift to 3" without voiding the warranty. Can I cram 35" Krawlers under a JK with a 3" lift?

In the early days I would drive my Bronco too and from events. How does the JK hold up on long drives with 35" tires. I got good at changing wheel bearings on the side of the road till I bought a Currie upgrade for my Bronco.

Are there any factors I'm not considering. Before the Bronco I was CJ's all the way. I've been in the Bronco for 14years but not partial to BRAND, just capabilities. I can only come up with advantages of owning a new JK. Any old school out there that kept both and have any input?

If I sell everything associated with my Bronco I can take a big chunk out of the cost of the JK. I'm pretty confident in what I'm about ready to do; I'm just looking for some input.

66 Bronco, 35's, Currie front and rear w/detroits. NP435, PTO winch.

Last edited by Broncojohn; 07-09-2008 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Add Bronco info for comparison.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 07-09-2008, 04:49 AM
Rock God

35's will fit with 3" of lift. I ran 35's for awhile on 2.5" of lift and several others have done the same.

As far driving on the highway with 35's I think the ride depends more on the tires and PSI than the Jeep. I can say with the stock 4.10 gears it can be lacking on hills with 35's but other than that no real problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 LJ - current
2007 4dr Rubicon - sold Project- JK
2007 2dr X - sold JK-forum
post #3 of 33 Old 07-09-2008, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Sweet, thanks for the reply.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 07-09-2008, 05:21 AM
Granite Guru

35's with 4.10s aren't that pleasant in my opinion with an automatic. That combination would be better with a manual.

The JK is a great vehicle -- the best I've ever owned. The only disadvantages I can think of are space and cost. To say there is little room in the JK would be an understatement (that is unless you get the Unlimited). The cost is high not just on the vehicle but insurance on a new vehicle is something to consider as is registration/personal property tax or whatever flavor of it you have in your neck of the woods. I imagine that would all be offset by the fact you'd be getting rid of a couple of vehicles for this one.

2007 JK Rubicon
Clayton Offroad 3.5" | 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers | Cragar Soft 8s | JE Reel 1350 drive lines | Alloy USA front axle shafts
post #5 of 33 Old 07-09-2008, 05:29 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to Big A

One downer that i can think of, Is that EVERYTHING is computer controlled in the JK...

I guess that could be a good thing also... I am more of a computer geek than a mechanic, So it works better for me.

Just another angle to consider

Phase 1 Complete. Sold JK
Phase 2 Complete. Bought a Tow Rig
Phase 3 on-hold. Buying a trail rig. Thinking a TJ or XJ
post #6 of 33 Old 07-09-2008, 05:39 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrt View Post
35's with 4.10s aren't that pleasant in my opinion with an automatic. That combination would be better with a manual.
haha yeah when I had 35's I didn't think it was so bad but I bought the Jeep new with 35's on it so I never experienced the before. Now that I have on 32" A/T i can see why people say 35's with 4.10 gears and an auto sucks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 LJ - current
post #7 of 33 Old 07-09-2008, 06:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i got rid of my 87 YJ (d44, chevy small block) that i built from stock and owned for 10 years to get my JK, sometimes i regret it when i just want to floor it thru a tough section but dont for fear of body damage. i ran 35's on the JK with only a 2" BB but didnt wheel it like that. driveabilty wasent horrible 6 th gear was almost never used anymore.

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #8 of 33 Old 07-09-2008, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMonkeY View Post
i got rid of my 87 YJ (d44, chevy small block) that i built from stock and owned for 10 years to get my JK, sometimes i regret it when i just want to floor it thru a tough section but dont for fear of body damage. i ran 35's on the JK with only a 2" BB but didnt wheel it like that. driveabilty wasent horrible 6 th gear was almost never used anymore.
Interesting you mention 6th gear...I have yet to use it....
post #9 of 33 Old 07-09-2008, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

I thought the Krawlers were only offered in a bias ply...If a vehicle sees a lot of pavement, than better to go w/ a radial. Many radial 35" MT tires are being put onto JKs with very little lift and mods. I would opt for the JK (stock or lifted)...over the Bronco ( and I LOVE vintage Broncs). In the rain, snow, trail, rocks, mud...the JK does it all. Deep water may be a different story but I wouldnt want the Bronco to see lots of deep water either. I am refering mainly to the Rubicons w/ elec swaybar disconnects- as some problems have come up w/ these. AW HELL...GET THAT JK!

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #10 of 33 Old 07-09-2008, 07:36 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrt View Post
To say there is little room in the JK would be an understatement (that is unless you get the Unlimited).
Is there less room in the JK 2dr than in a TJ? I've done a lot of trails in my TJ with two car seats in the back. You really learn how to pack then!

In regards to the original question, are you looking at a 2dr or 4dr? If you are going 4dr and are into more hardcore wheeling, you might want to consider 37's because of the wheelbase. Of course, that would require more lift and upgrading drive train parts. I have no idea what that would do to your warranty. I have no experience with the 2 doors but I would think they would be a pretty good rig with 35's. Just don't expect to have a lot of power.

peter

post #11 of 33 Old 07-09-2008, 08:07 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewp97 View Post
Is there less room in the JK 2dr than in a TJ? I've done a lot of trails in my TJ with two car seats in the back. You really learn how to pack then!
Actually, I think there's a little more room overall, but that may be mostly in the rear seat area. My TJ was pretty cramped too. Obviously, it didn't matter enough to me, because I have the two-door and wouldn't have it any other way.

2007 JK Rubicon
Clayton Offroad 3.5" | 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers | Cragar Soft 8s | JE Reel 1350 drive lines | Alloy USA front axle shafts
post #12 of 33 Old 07-09-2008, 09:04 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I thought the Krawlers were only offered in a bias ply...
Krawlers are radial.
post #13 of 33 Old 07-09-2008, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Thanks

Thanks for the info guy's.
I'm looking for a 4 door, for the longer wheelbase. 37's would be great except for the gearing. The ;rawlers are & true 35 so I'm hoping it will provide me with enough clearance.
I make my money working on Avionics and hope to finish my Double E soon so I tend to have more faith in consumer electronic now then before.

I want a vehical I can beat up and someone else has to fix at their cost. Jeep will earn their Trail Rated classing when I buy a JK. That's why I wanted to see how many people have made the change from old trust beater, to new warrantied Beater.

Quote:

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #14 of 33 Old 07-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojohn View Post
Thanks for the info guy's.
I'm looking for a 4 door, for the longer wheelbase. 37's would be great except for the gearing. The ;rawlers are & true 35 so I'm hoping it will provide me with enough clearance.
I make my money working on Avionics and hope to finish my Double E soon so I tend to have more faith in consumer electronic now then before.

I want a vehical I can beat up and someone else has to fix at their cost. Jeep will earn their Trail Rated classing when I buy a JK. That's why I wanted to see how many people have made the change from old trust beater, to new warrantied Beater.
I will say that I think you will be more than pleased with the trail performance of the JK. They are the most capable Jeep you can get off the lot, and the warranty is unbeatable for the powertrain stuff. The ease of fitting 35" Krawlers on a little lift also means better center of gravity. The convenience of being able to buy it off the lot with a dealer installed Rubicon Express/Mopar lift is nice also. Then your whole suspension system will be covered in the vehicle warranty. I also like being able to wheel with the a/c on and push a button for the lockers and swaybar disconnect. Sometimes a little luxury is real nice on the trail. In my humble oppinion, I think you will love having a Jk! I know I do, and many more people do as well.

AUSTIN

2007 SAHARA
post #15 of 33 Old 07-09-2008, 12:59 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOJAVEGREEN View Post
The ease of fitting 35" Krawlers on a little lift also means better center of gravity.
The problem with little lift and low CoG on a 4 dr is that you'll high center on everything. I high center all the time with 37's and 4.5" of lift.
post #16 of 33 Old 07-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Granite Guru

Im in the same boat as You BroncoJohn. Ive been lurking here for a couple weeks doing research.

I used to own a built up YJ, I sold that and built a Willys from the ground up. The Willys just doesnt have enough room for the family so its for sale now, along with My tow rig and trailer.
As soon as it sells Im geting a 4 door JK. Back to wheelin My daily driver like I used to do

The concensus seems to be that daily driving a JK on 35's isnt a big deal.

If You re gear to 5.13's how is it daily driving a JK on 37's with a manual tranny?
How about towing a small camping trailer with 37's?

I wanted to get an auto so the Wife could drive it but after reading about all the problems people are having with them I changed My mind.
post #17 of 33 Old 07-09-2008, 02:40 PM
Rock God

are there a lot of issues with the Auto that I am missing? No issues for me with 35's in over 26,000 miles. Is there a thread for the issues?

2006 LJ - current
post #18 of 33 Old 07-09-2008, 02:52 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjerm View Post
are there a lot of issues with the Auto that I am missing?
I seem to be missing the issues too. With 34k miles and 37's I've never had a single issue with the auto. I've heard of a few people saying it's gotten hot when worked hard, but that's about it. However, as I'm approaching the end of my warranty I did install a temp gauge and additional cooler recently.
post #19 of 33 Old 07-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Granite Guru

Heres a thread I read on here....
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...+tranny+issues

I read a few threads on other JK forums too.
Over heating, sliping issues, and a couple of fires
Ive also heard that the auto searches around for gears alot on the highway with 37's.

I really want to put 37's on it but I dont want it to suck to drive every day either.
I like to head out west every year too so I'll have some 24 hour drives to Moab in it too!
post #20 of 33 Old 07-09-2008, 03:23 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Over heating,
I'm in South Texas and overheating does not seem to be an issue here, although I would not rule out the possibility of it over heating.

Quote:
sliping issues,
Never had any of those, and can't say I've heard of many. It obviously slips in 1 and 2, that is was autos do, but it locks solid in 3 and 4.

Quote:
and a couple of fires
I don't believe there is any proof of that, and it seems to be just a guess to me.

Quote:
Ive also heard that the auto searches around for gears alot on the highway with 37's.
Not with the right gears. I run 4.88's which are fine here beacuse it's flat, but would be marginal in hilly places, where 5.13's would be fine. I have no issue with it hunting for gears. Reprogramming helps a lot too.

Quote:
I like to head out west every year too so I'll have some 24 hour drives to Moab in it too!
Did a 22 hour drive to Moab in mine and had no issues.

I'm not saying the 42RLE is perfect and I would have liked to have seen a stronger tranny in the 4 door at least, but it is good enough tranny for the most part and there seems to be very few real problems out there with it.
post #21 of 33 Old 07-09-2008, 04:09 PM
Granite Guru

Thanks for the info PhilD!!
Its nice to hear first hand info instead of 3rd hand intarweb rumors!

What kind of reprogramming are You talking about? Is this a dealership thing or a programmer that I could buy?

I'm just trying to gather as much info as I can so I can buy and build it the way I want it the first time.
I know I'd hate Myself if I just put 35's on it. But on the other hand I'd hate to put 37's on it and then wish I would have gone with 35's because its sluggish, or pulls 5,000 RPM's to get up a hill on the highway.

Sorry for hijacking Your thread BroncoJohn. But My questions seemed relevant to Yours so I figured I'd add them to the conversation. I dont want to step on any toes, so let Me know if You Guys want Me to start My own thread.
post #22 of 33 Old 07-09-2008, 04:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
If You re gear to 5.13's how is it daily driving a JK on 37's with a manual tranny?
How about towing a small camping trailer with 37's?
I've been running 37" tires for almost a year with 4.10 gears. It's livable, but yes it's sluggish. I have programed my starting sequence to include turning the overdrive off. I do it without even thinking now. I don't have any problem scooting around.

I also pull a camper that weighs 2600 lbs dry. I've added a tranny cooler, but no gages yet. The camper pulls great, but I try to stay out of the mountains with it, at least until I get gears. I've been waiting for 5.38's to magically appear. Hopefully some day soon, or I'll just break down and get 5.13's.

post #23 of 33 Old 07-09-2008, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
No Hijack here.

I just drove an X today. I'm trying to decide if I should buy Rubicon drivetrain and have it installed. I looks like I can save a grand or so, and ditch the power garbage I don't want.

Has anyone heard of any future incentives. I'm hoping the no interest loans will be back soon.

For the guy's that have changed to 5.13 gears. Did Jeep Squawk about it?

Today the 6th gear felt like an unuseable gear even with 32" tires. 5.13 gears would make 35" work good.

Quote:

post #24 of 33 Old 07-09-2008, 06:13 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
What kind of reprogramming are You talking about? Is this a dealership thing or a programmer that I could buy?
I use a Hypertech Max Energy Power, and although you can't manually adjust the shift points, by programming for the tire size and gears it does bring them back into line. I can't say for sure, but it does feel like the Hypertech does adjust the shift points itself. It gives a little more performance too, and I noticed a reasonable difference when I first set it up.

Quote:
I'm just trying to gather as much info as I can so I can buy and build it the way I want it the first time.
I know I'd hate Myself if I just put 35's on it. But on the other hand I'd hate to put 37's on it and then wish I would have gone with 35's because its sluggish, or pulls 5,000 RPM's to get up a hill on the highway.
Even with re-gearing and re-programming, it won't drive like stock with 37's, but it isn't that far off either, and is certainly still very drivable.
post #25 of 33 Old 07-09-2008, 06:33 PM
Granite Guru

Thanks for the help PhilD!!

I used to daily drive My built up YJ years ago but Ive been trailering My Jeeps and daily driving a pickup for the last 6 years. So Im sure going back to daily driving a big Jeep will take some geting used to!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode