Anyone have the new Edelbrock supercharger? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 67 Old 03-02-2015, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Anyone have the new Edelbrock supercharger?

Is there anyone here in the lucky first batch of these kits that is will be shipping?

Pic request.

Sounds like it uses the same set of rotors as the magnusson while improving in areas that I was hoping for.

No need to deviate from the mopar oil filter.

On the phone, Edelbrock said that the inter cooler was paintd black so it is more stealth like the ac condenser.

It also clears the mopar hood lock. Does the maggi? Not sure.

Last edited by White13JKUR; 03-06-2015 at 08:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 03-02-2015, 12:52 PM
JKO Addict!

This is just my opinion but I would hold off on assuming all of those benefits are present in the Edelbrock set up.

It costs quite a bit of money to make the castings for these things so I believe this is just another rebranded Magnuson kit like the AEV version.

Just my opinion though...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 67 Old 03-02-2015, 12:59 PM
JKowners Vendor

Garage

I have an e-mail in on this.
I "think" we have one or are getting one on our 2012.
Once I hear back I will update with what I hear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 67 Old 03-02-2015, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
This is just my opinion but I would hold off on assuming all of those benefits are present in the Edelbrock set up.

It costs quite a bit of money to make the castings for these things so I believe this is just another rebranded Magnuson kit like the AEV version.

Just my opinion though...
Maybe you should hold off ass-u-me-ing that I am wrong.

Pics and video already on the net seem to show not only different castings but a notch for the oil filter.

http://youtu.be/T7cBWYC5XXo

That and AEV didn't have a rebranded 3.6 kit last time I checked.

The Edelbrock also seems to have a lower msrp by a significant amount. It also seems to be 7psi vs the 6&8psi kits that magnuson provides.

Last edited by White13JKUR; 03-02-2015 at 01:21 PM.
post #5 of 67 Old 03-02-2015, 02:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
Maybe you should hold off ass-u-me-ing that I am wrong.

Pics and video already on the net seem to show not only different castings but a notch for the oil filter.

http://youtu.be/T7cBWYC5XXo

That and AEV didn't have a rebranded 3.6 kit last time I checked.

The Edelbrock also seems to have a lower msrp by a significant amount. It also seems to be 7psi vs the 6&8psi kits that magnuson provides.
Touche

post #6 of 67 Old 03-02-2015, 03:56 PM
JKowners Vendor

Garage
Talking

Some pics on ours. I am ASSuming we will get to test this at EJS in a few weeks.
I also have an e-mail on more info.

post #7 of 67 Old 03-02-2015, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Awesome! Thanks. Any chance you have a pic of the inter cooler?
post #8 of 67 Old 03-02-2015, 04:23 PM
JKowners Vendor

Garage

Not yet, but at EJS I can grab some.

Quote:
Awesome! Thanks. Any chance you have a pic of the inter cooler?

post #9 of 67 Old 03-04-2015, 01:51 AM
JTB
Wheeler

Please delete this thread!! It's gonna cost me money!
post #10 of 67 Old 03-04-2015, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Naahhhh.... It should save you $500 over the magnuson.
post #11 of 67 Old 03-04-2015, 06:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

They had one on the Dana 60 JK. Looked nice, but didnt ask about it.

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
post #12 of 67 Old 03-06-2015, 09:35 AM
Rock God

Garage

It looks like a nice kit and uses the same Eaton TVS compressor from the Magnuson kit. It's really great that Edlebrock allows the use of the stock oil filter and no adapters or parts to remove to access it.

Proud to be One of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001-2010.

Semper Fi
post #13 of 67 Old 03-06-2015, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

They use the same Eaton *rotors* and it would probably be a stretch to call it the same "compressor."

post #14 of 67 Old 03-06-2015, 10:04 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
They use the same Eaton *rotors* and it would probably be a stretch to call it the same "compressor."

When I say compressor I do mean the internal case design and rotors. As the rotors spin they "compress" the air inside the rotor pack to build boost. They are all made by eaton. Companies pay Eaton for the core supercharger, design their own intake, drive, and intercooler system for it, and call it an Edlebrock/Magnuson/etc.

From Edlebrock - The core of each system is the Eaton Gen VI 2300 TVSģ Supercharger rotating assembly. Eaton's assembly features a four lobe design with 160į of twist for maximum flow, minimum temperature rise and quiet operation for excellent drivability.

From Magnuson - Magnuson's MP1320 TVS Supercharger for the 2012-2014 Jeep Wrangler JK 3.6L uses EATON's latest in its line of Twin Vortices Series superchargers. Our new 6th generation hybrid-roots style supercharger design offers a host of performance benefits over the competion. Its four-lobe, 160 degree high helix rotors provide increased air flow, have a wider operating range, and higher pressure capability while maintaining cooler operating temperatures and a quieter operation. It's no wonder the OEMs, from GM, to Ford, to Audi, rely on Eaton's TVS technology for their high-performance cars.

They are both the exact same Eaton 4 lobe 160 deg twist 1.3L compressor. The case has to be the same to house the same rotor pack. The only differences would be the inlet and blower drive assembly, since they are mounted backwards on the engine with the rear of the supercharger facing the front of the engine. I wouldn't doubt it if eaton still builds them for these companies.

Proud to be One of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001-2010.

Semper Fi

Last edited by highoctane; 03-06-2015 at 10:13 AM.
post #15 of 67 Old 03-06-2015, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

I got th impression that magnuson cast the housing as well by watching and reading too much into this video. Great, in-depth video, BTW on the 3.6 kit. They do mention casting the intake and the manifold but no mention of the rotor housing.

Thanks Rebel and Magnuson for the vid and look at your production process.

http://youtu.be/r52BOHGZ4FA
post #16 of 67 Old 03-06-2015, 11:02 AM
Wheeler

Im just going to jump in and ask the question, and no ASS-U-ME-ing here folks lol. I am simply asking because I try to gain knowledge at every opportunity, im not bashing anyone or anything here. I openly admit I am dumb when it concerns the power aspects of superchargers.

What is the point of supercharging a JK? (I can understand super charging a built out competition ready JK or something like that)

For instance even on a Rubicon, would you not just destroy all the stock stuff in the thing like shearing shafts and what not when off roading? I just dont see the benefit for the every day crawler, if its for on road benefit and power ok but why did you buy a Jeep then?
post #17 of 67 Old 03-06-2015, 11:27 AM
Granite Guru

I agree with the above and also, I never consider myself lucky to get the first of anything. Most stuff these days, you are better off waiting to see if they have ironed out all and any problems for at least the first year.I see people buy superchargers, I don't here them brag about them, then I see them being sold used. I believe in longevity, not rebuilding my engine because it is a piece of crap and can't take the pressure. But that's just me. BTW, my dog of 08 JKUR still runs fine without it. If I need more power, I use the more powerful Jeep !
post #18 of 67 Old 03-06-2015, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08rubinon View Post
Im just going to jump in and ask the question, and no ASS-U-ME-ing here folks lol. I am simply asking because I try to gain knowledge at every opportunity, im not bashing anyone or anything here. I openly admit I am dumb when it concerns the power aspects of superchargers.

What is the point of supercharging a JK? (I can understand super charging a built out competition ready JK or something like that)

For instance even on a Rubicon, would you not just destroy all the stock stuff in the thing like shearing shafts and what not when off roading? I just dont see the benefit for the every day crawler, if its for on road benefit and power ok but why did you buy a Jeep then?
Go on, donít be shy about ASS-U-ME-ing. We all do it and speaking for myself, I am probably even under quota for today.

Hope there is no bashing, though, because all of the aforementioned vendors are excellent choices despite our attempts to split hairs here.

As for the question of why and wonít it just break more stuff? My perspective is that I see it as more for on-road than off-road.

Off-road, I have yet to be in a situation where more power would help. Maybe a rescue situation, where you are hauling someone else out? In fact, my tendency is to try and avoid excess pressure on the skinny pedal anyway. That and I donít flick on the lockers until I get wedged.

On-road, I have two reasons. First, is getting to the trail with a full rig above a mile high Ė which is where I like to play. The second reason is just ego. There are a lot of fast cars and SUVs in this neck of the woods.

Generally speaking, I am someone who has a fair amount of confidence in a well-designed, single-digit-boost, FI system on an otherwise stock engine. Iíve done that on a different car and had great results. When I was done with the car, I completely reversed it to stock and sold both the car and the kit.
post #19 of 67 Old 03-06-2015, 11:44 AM
JKO Addict!

Superchargers don't break components. Poor drivers and/or poor tuning breaks components.

I have had my Avenger SC for years and brag about it all the time.

I bought it because on road performance absolutely sucks. The stock JK's performance was bad enough for my standards as the SC was my first modification. Things get even worse when you modify a JK with bigger tires, armor etc....Couple that with being at altitude and the JK might as well be pulled by a horse.

post #20 of 67 Old 03-06-2015, 11:52 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Superchargers don't break components. Poor drivers and/or poor tuning breaks components.

I have had my Avenger SC for years and brag about it all the time.

I bought it because on road performance absolutely sucks. The stock JK's performance was bad enough for my standards as the SC was my first modification. Things get even worse when you modify a JK with bigger tires, armor etc....Couple that with being at altitude and the JK might as well be pulled by a horse.
Understandable, everyone knows Jk on road performance is crap, thats not the real point of a Jeep. By breaking components I was referencing while off roading, have you taken it off road with the SC? I mean legitimate off roading, not gravel or dirt roads. Curious how the go-go-gadget magic RPM affects rock crawling abilities.

Edit: also good info on the higher elevation I would never have thought about that

Last edited by 08rubinon; 03-06-2015 at 11:59 AM.
post #21 of 67 Old 03-06-2015, 11:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

If i had a tow rig for the JK, i'd probably never consider a FI system, but i don't. When the nearest trails are hours away, anything you can do to make the JK more driveable should be examined.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
post #22 of 67 Old 03-06-2015, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

I haven't tried first hand yet but at this point don't see any value from FI *on* the rocks (just getting *to* them). That's when I'm doing the exact opposite - everything I can to keep my foot *off* of the throttle.

In fact, I see a slight downgrade on the rocks from a supercharger in terms of engine responsiveness. My rig is a manual and I come from a long history of motorcycles and import sports cars and almost always equipped with an intake, exhaust and a manual transmission. Let's just say that I like responsive engines. The SC, even with the bypass valve, will take away slightly from the responsiveness that I now enjoy with my manual pentastar that has intake, exhaust and software running a 91 tune. For me, it is slight but still noticeable but not enough sow to dissuade me from FI.

Last edited by White13JKUR; 03-06-2015 at 12:24 PM.
post #23 of 67 Old 03-06-2015, 06:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08rubinon View Post
Understandable, everyone knows Jk on road performance is crap, thats not the real point of a Jeep. By breaking components I was referencing while off roading, have you taken it off road with the SC? I mean legitimate off roading, not gravel or dirt roads. Curious how the go-go-gadget magic RPM affects rock crawling abilities.

Edit: also good info on the higher elevation I would never have thought about that
Do these count as legitimate?
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92483
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178289
(Just a sampling)

I haven't broken anything that can be attributed to a supercharger.

post #24 of 67 Old 03-06-2015, 06:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I haven't tried first hand yet but at this point don't see any value from FI *on* the rocks (just getting *to* them). That's when I'm doing the exact opposite - everything I can to keep my foot *off* of the throttle.

In fact, I see a slight downgrade on the rocks from a supercharger in terms of engine responsiveness. My rig is a manual and I come from a long history of motorcycles and import sports cars and almost always equipped with an intake, exhaust and a manual transmission. Let's just say that I like responsive engines. The SC, even with the bypass valve, will take away slightly from the responsiveness that I now enjoy with my manual pentastar that has intake, exhaust and software running a 91 tune. For me, it is slight but still noticeable but not enough sow to dissuade me from FI.
Why do you think responsiveness will be degraded? Its a roots style blower so instant boost. If it was a centrifugal type SC, then I could see your point's validity.

post #25 of 67 Old 03-06-2015, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Why do you think responsiveness will be degraded? Its a roots style blower so instant boost. If it was a centrifugal type SC, then I could see your point's validity.
Because I have installed a roots style blower on my vehicle before and it too had a bypass valve. It was even originally designed by magnuson as I understood things. There was a very slight drag on the motor still and it was noticeable, albeit slight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode