my almost homemade bumper - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 02-27-2015, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

my almost homemade bumper

today i finally had time to begin with my front bumper. so far, i just made the shackle mounts and the plates that bolt to the frame. i had these cut in the local plasma cnc shop, thats why it is not exactly homemade.

i cut 2 of these, which bolt to the frame. i read in here that the holes were 3/4", but that was wrong. on my jeep (sahara 2008), the top outer holes only accept 1/2" bolts, but the other 3 holes accept 9/16". so thats what i did. unfortunately i had already cut the holes at 3/4" but thats OK since it gives some adjustment. the bolt are welded to the plate, since once finished, i wont be able to get a wrench in there.

sorry i didnt take pics of the actual plates, but thats the drawing i took to the shop, and the plates bolt right on. if i were to do it again i would change the size to 9/16 though....

then i had them cut 2 of these:

and 6 of the same one but only 3/4" long. all the plates are 1/4" thick, so stacking them i get a 1" shackle mount. the long one was welded to the side of the first plate, on the inside of the frame rails, and the other 3 were welded to the front part. i had to cut with the grinder to make some room for the bolts.

this is the only picture i have, ill take better ones tomorrow after i finish welding everything. after grinding it will look like a 1" thick plate. the rest of the bumper will be made out of 3/16" thick plate.

i will weld the winch plate between the 2 8" long plates, i havent determined the height yet, but most of the winch will be between the frame rails. i have a Warn M8000, so the control box is separated, i think ill put it centered, barely covering the grill.

i will add another plate on the front, with slots for the shackle mounts to go through. this way, they will be welded directly to the mounting plates, and to the front plate, instead of only welding to the front. i will be updating as i progress. with me working out of town from monday to saturday, i guess this is going to take a while....

2007 JKU, 2.5" Rock Krawler lift, 285/70 17 mud terrains....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 03-19-2015, 07:43 PM
Granite Guru

any updates ?
post #3 of 37 Old 03-22-2015, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

not really... i havent had any time... i may be quitting my job by the end of this month though, and then ill have time to finish...

the only "update" is a very rude mock up i made today with a cardboard box... i have the basic design but with this i may be changing a few things now that i can physically see how it fits...

the rear bar is only there to give it more support, the winch will be semi-sunk in the bumper about 3"...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 03-22-2015, 01:33 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Dang that bumper will look sweet!

'15 JKU/ 3" Synergy MFG Stage 2/ Fox 2.0 Performance Series IFP/ 35" KM2/ 4.56 Yukon Gears/ Currie Rock Jock 44/ ARB Locker/ Adams 1310/ VKS Fab/ Evo MFG
post #5 of 37 Old 03-22-2015, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thanx, i hope so!!

i continued with the mock up, i made the roller fairlead and fog lamp cuts, and the lower part...

it will also have a brush guard that will reach about 1/2 ways up with ...

the other option is to put a 18" led light bar under the winch (instead of the fog lamps), and move the lamps to the sides:

regarding the rear width, im not sure if i want it flush with the grille (about 1.5" shorter on each side), or flush with the inside of the tires (about what i have now)....

post #6 of 37 Old 03-22-2015, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

ill add a brush guard similar to this one, but i think ill put the reinforcement on the front

post #7 of 37 Old 03-22-2015, 07:32 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

One question with the reinforcement on the front...would the bar hold up if you ever tipped onto your nose?

I have always thought that the reinforcement strengthened the bar in case it is used as it is designed to keep the Jeep from flopping forward on a steep down hill.

I like the look of your design and am following to see the finished product.

Rodney
Famous Last Words
"Here, hold my beer and watch this!!"
post #8 of 37 Old 03-22-2015, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thanx!!

well, i had always thought that only a true stinger would be helpful in case you tipped forward. im not sure how a mid height bull bar or brush guard would behave under that circumstance... and, i think as long as theres a reinforcement, the bar should support basically the same. or is there something im not seeing by putting the reinforcement in the front?? i know in the back it would work at compression and in the front it would be at tension, but as long as the welds are properly done, i wouldnt worry much about it...

the reason i want it in the front is that i could use the holes in the reinforcement plate to put a carabiner in there and tie things such as a tent or tarp. although i could use the D rings for that as well, so i may just put the plate in the back....

i dont plan on wheel the jeep hard at all, its more a trail/camping/fishing/hunting build, so the chance of it tipping forward is very small, if at all....

Last edited by shu2kill; 03-22-2015 at 09:13 PM.
post #9 of 37 Old 03-22-2015, 08:33 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I am not an engineering guy at all, that is why I asked the question. I just think that the bar would crumple easier if the force is pushing away from the reinforcement.

Rodney
Famous Last Words
"Here, hold my beer and watch this!!"
post #10 of 37 Old 03-22-2015, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

it could be, im not sure... maybe someone will comment on that...

post #11 of 37 Old 03-23-2015, 12:03 AM
Wheeler

Nice

Can't wait to see the finished product. I just recently bought a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Sport and haven't had the chance to do any DIY projects. I still have so many things to learn from members like you.
post #12 of 37 Old 03-23-2015, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thanx! this is my first attempt at a plate bumper, i had made front and rear bumpers for my YJ but i used a 4x2" so it was easier... hopefully i will finish in the next couple of weeks....

post #13 of 37 Old 03-23-2015, 08:25 PM
Rock God

Garage

Looks good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu2kill View Post
ill add a brush guard similar to this one, but i think ill put the reinforcement on the front

I have that bumper on my Jeep right now. Had to cut 2 inches off of my frame, plus the crash bar. I'll say this, it's sturdy, even with the lack of front support. The design makes it not necessary. For me, that front hoop is less protection for a roll, more protection for the winch and grill for trail obstacles. Plus it's aesthetically pleasing. A large stinger, for me, would be a hindrance while wheeling and weaving between trees... I run trails in deep woods, less rock more woods trails.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #14 of 37 Old 03-26-2015, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Door View Post
Looks good.

I have that bumper on my Jeep right now. Had to cut 2 inches off of my frame, plus the crash bar. I'll say this, it's sturdy, even with the lack of front support. The design makes it not necessary. For me, that front hoop is less protection for a roll, more protection for the winch and grill for trail obstacles. Plus it's aesthetically pleasing. A large stinger, for me, would be a hindrance while wheeling and weaving between trees... I run trails in deep woods, less rock more woods trails.
my thoughts exactly.

today i made more progress. not regarding any fabrication, but i got me a good piece of 1/4" plate for free.

i work in the construction of a gas pipeline, and today, while driving down the line, we found a couple of these end caps. its a 30" pipeline, so these are 30" in diameter, and made out of 1/4" plate.

i gave one to the guy who was with me for him to sell at the junk yard, and i kept the other one. i was going to use 3/16 for everything, and my plan was to overlap two of them for the winch plate. now i will use two of these 1/4" thick, for a 1/2" winchplate, and i will have enough material for the front plate as well. im going camping next weekend, and even though i will not have the bumper totally finished, im hoping to atleast have the winch already installed just in case....

and heres a shot from today at the workplace...

so far i have spent $70, $60 for the mounts because i had them CNC cut, and about $10 for the bolts and nuts... the welding consumables i already had.... and i have enough material to build a fully functional bumper now, im hoping to have it finished by sunday night....

Last edited by shu2kill; 03-26-2015 at 06:46 PM.
post #15 of 37 Old 03-26-2015, 07:23 PM
Rock God

Looks good so far. Can't wait to see the finished product.

I'd love to build my own bumper, but I don't know if I have the patience (or the creative vision and decisiveness to commit to a design).
post #16 of 37 Old 03-26-2015, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thanx!!

im not really that patient myself, but for me, building things for my jeep is half the fun... besides, you save a ton of $$ this way, and you end up with something just the way you like it... i usually change the desing a lot along the way, so, im not sure how the finished product will look like, but i hope to have it finished soon....

post #17 of 37 Old 03-29-2015, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

yesterday i did more progress.... after 6 hours and a 12 pack of beer, this is what i have now....

i began with the winch plate:

at this height the top part of the winch is flush with the bottom of the grille slots....

this is my "CNC cutting table".... not the most comfortable way to work, but i managed to make straight cuts with the grinder... this was my first time cutting long parts with it, its not difficult if you take your time.

after cutting the 2 winch plates, i had this part left:

so i cut it like this and drilled for the roller guides.

and thats what i have right now. i will continue working on it today and ill get some daytime pics (yesterday i worked from 6:30 pm to almost 1:00 am, until i realized i was making too more noise for my sleeping neighbors.

post #18 of 37 Old 03-29-2015, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

today i drilled the holes for the winch amd welded tje reinforcement winch plate underneath.... no new pics, my cellphone ran out of battery.

meanwhile, my brother began drawing it in SolidWorks to get the rest of the plates cut. i was going to have everything CNC cut, last time the shop charged me $1 for 15 inches of cutting, but now it charged $1 for only 5 inches, so i decided to cut most of it myself with the grinder.

post #19 of 37 Old 03-29-2015, 11:01 PM
Granite Guru

looks good so far..
post #20 of 37 Old 05-04-2015, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

more update... on the design.. i have had no time for working, but my brother just finished the design and i think this would be the final one...

what do you think??

post #21 of 37 Old 05-05-2015, 07:58 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to jlagross

Looks good man, resembles the JCR old dagger bumper in a way!
its awesome that your using scrap metal you found. makes it your own.

I would suggest not making it as wide as your initial cutout, if you ever stretch your front, or run really large tires (37+) you may hit. Its why most people run true stubby front bumpers.

Make sure you also find a way to incorporate the ability to use a high lift , you could do cutouts with reinforced boxes in the rear/backside , or simply add reinforcement on the lower portion with a section flat enough to lift from.

If you do a stinger , or any light bar, and decide to run lights off of it, figure out how you want to run the wiring prior, it could change your welding slightly.

Good luck!
post #22 of 37 Old 05-06-2015, 12:27 PM

Looks great! same as I thought of doing myself now that I bought a Winch.
I also saw some other of your pics in another thread.
any chance you share you CAD files to dismiss me from taking measurements off my jeep? working during the day, playing around with CAD software at night...

I promise to share whatever modifications I make from it.

Thanks,
Eyal

Last edited by eysham; 05-06-2015 at 12:31 PM.
post #23 of 37 Old 05-07-2015, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlagross View Post
Looks good man, resembles the JCR old dagger bumper in a way!
its awesome that your using scrap metal you found. makes it your own.

I would suggest not making it as wide as your initial cutout, if you ever stretch your front, or run really large tires (37+) you may hit. Its why most people run true stubby front bumpers.

Make sure you also find a way to incorporate the ability to use a high lift , you could do cutouts with reinforced boxes in the rear/backside , or simply add reinforcement on the lower portion with a section flat enough to lift from.

If you do a stinger , or any light bar, and decide to run lights off of it, figure out how you want to run the wiring prior, it could change your welding slightly.

Good luck!
very good input there, thanx!!

i know you should never say never, but im pretty sure i wont run bigger than 35 tires... this jeep wont see much real rock crawling, its more of an all around, DD, camping, fishing, hunting jeep... it will see some highway from time to time, so i want to keep it road friendly....

as for the highlift, thats right, i will make sure to check on that.... on my previous jeep i would sometimes put the highlift on the shackle, it worked very good, so i may just do that again...

and yes, i have yet to design the ligh tabs and i will make sure to prepare the bumper for lights and hidden wires...

post #24 of 37 Old 05-07-2015, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysham View Post
Looks great! same as I thought of doing myself now that I bought a Winch.
I also saw some other of your pics in another thread.
any chance you share you CAD files to dismiss me from taking measurements off my jeep? working during the day, playing around with CAD software at night...

I promise to share whatever modifications I make from it.

Thanks,
Eyal
sure! ill ask my brother for them, because he is the one drawing it... i designed most of it but only in my head and made some very crude drawings by hand, he is the one who took all the measurements and made the CAD files... ill ask hm for that he has and share it with you no problem...

post #25 of 37 Old 07-10-2015, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

heres the final design, we redesigned the top part because it looked too flat... hopefully i can begin fabrication this week....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode