build thread idea - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 02-26-2015, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Question build thread idea

I don't know if this already out there but...

think we can get a moderator to sticky a thread on top of the Modified JK Tech Dept of all the builds. When i say build threads i mean like pirate4x4.
example: (http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...ps-thread.html)

we can have ONE thread where all the builds go
(sorry if your rig is on 33s and you installed a cb but you most likely wont make it in here)
For example:
  • company Builds (rock krawler,metalcloak,teraflex...ect)
  • 1 ton swaps
  • engine swaps
  • built stock axles
  • exploration rigs

You can submit your build to a moderator and he will add your link with a quick summary of what is in your build.

I can start on this if a moderator wants to give me the go ahead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 02-26-2015, 10:50 PM
JKO Addict!

here ya go

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62953

2010 Mango 2dr 6spd Rubicon
PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
post #3 of 24 Old 02-26-2015, 11:00 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverLift View Post

think we can get a moderator to sticky a thread on top of the Modified JK Tech Dept of all the builds. When i say build threads i mean like pirate4x4.

I believe the dude started that thread, and it proved worthy of a sticky, and then it became a sticky.
I know the dude was on Pirate ~4 years, then took it upon himself to make it happen (not ~1/2 month, then asking for it to happen).

Hope you see the contrasts there ^^^.

Quote:
(sorry if your rig is on 33s and you installed a cb but you most likely wont make it in here)
Wow. Already kicking people out of your new club house? You'll make friends fast here that way.
EDIT: and that thread is not as exclusive as your proposal - there are a couple of rigs on 33s there.

Quote:
You can submit your build to a moderator and he will add your link with a quick summary of what is in your build.
Yeah, we have way too many moderators here with nothing better to do than administer your fantasy.

Quote:
You can start without a moderator's go-ahead. Man the fuck up and do the heavy lifting. If you want shit for free, call Obama.

Suggest starting your thread in Chit Chat - we'll be respectful of it - and when it's good and sticky, you can move it to Tech.

OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisguyhasadd42 View Post
SEARCH! - WELCOME TO JKO!
Now that you've been here a couple weeks, feel free to look around and get to know the place.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful

Last edited by ExWrench; 02-26-2015 at 11:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 02-27-2015, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

So exWrench, I will try not to be a dick in this post.

"I believe the dude started that thread, and it proved worthy of a sticky, and then it became a sticky.
I know the dude was on Pirate ~4 years, then took it upon himself to make it happen (not ~1/2 month, then asking for it to happen).
Hope you see the contrasts there ^^^."

If you are saying I am not experienced enough to start a thread like this, you are wrong . I may be new to this site but not others. I got my JK back in 09ish and started posting in forums around that time.

"Wow. Already kicking people out of your new club house? You'll make friends fast here that way.
EDIT: and that thread is not as exclusive as your proposal - there are a couple of rigs on 33s there."

Well, considering I am on 32's with a light bar, winch and CB; I will not make it in this club house till I swap my axles. . I wanted to push the limits of my stock JK before I started with a build. Trust me when I say, I broke a lot of shit and am not scared of doing so.

I do not have a build thread yet but just so you know I am not a keyboard warrior.

"Yeah, we have way too many moderators here with nothing better to do than administer your fantasy."

Copy that, I will start on one.

"You can start without a moderator's go-ahead. Man the fuck up and do the heavy lifting. If you want shit for free, call Obama."

I work for what i got so... yeah.. I wouldn't say I fucked up. I just asked a question "IF" one was already started or in the works.

"Suggest starting your thread in Chit Chat - we'll be respectful of it - and when it's good and sticky, you can move it to Tech."

LOL. seeing you jumped my shit for asking. I can see what guys in the Chit Chat would have done.

"SEARCH! - WELCOME TO JKO!
Now that you've been here a couple weeks, feel free to look around and get to know the place."

again copy that. i know what the search button is and how it works, I promise. The last time (https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...t=62953&page=5) has been bumped was 02-09-2012.

Like I said in the begin, I did not want this to start a . I wanted to let you know i am not a 16 year old kid with a jeep mommy and daddy gave me.
post #5 of 24 Old 02-27-2015, 03:04 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
So exWrench, I will try not to be a dick in this post.
Mission: accomplished, dude! And good reply!

I was just messing with you because you were new here and starting off in a "let's change (x)" direction, drawing dividing lines, and looking to draw on external resources to fuel your project.

Honestly, you caught me at the right moment to take you to task and see if you were just bitching or looking to make improvements.

We had a few new guys recently (nothing like yourself, don't take it that way) who wanted to make JKO something other than what it is. Those cases started out frustrating, but ended up (mostly) hilarious.

You have a worthy goal in mind, and I wish you the best of luck if you choose to pursue it.

Oh, and:
  1. Sincerely, WELCOME to JKO - stick around!
  2. That was light-duty shit-jumping, I assure you
  3. I'll level with you: don't start a thread in Chit Chat that you don't want derailed or gayed-up by the end of page 1

-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 24 Old 02-27-2015, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

On that bomb shell, I will start on this build thread tracker thingy ma bob.

I know where your coming from tho. This is an advanced forum!

and
to you sir

Last edited by NeverLift; 02-27-2015 at 03:24 PM.
post #7 of 24 Old 03-02-2015, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

so I started working on this epic build thread. Once i get more done, I will post a better picture for some input.

I did not know there is so many fucking one ton swaps. need to stop fucking off and get mine done.

So far i have a list of
-Company build
-one ton swap and motor swap builds (i was going to make two different list but i think it will be easier to put in one list)
- built stock axles
-other cool builds

this is the layout i will have for each build
Picture of your rig
small summary ex: (One ton swap on the Cheap)
Link to build thread
then list of axles, motor swap ect..

Do you guys think anyone will bitch if i put them in this thread or should I start pm'ing people asking them if its cool?
post #8 of 24 Old 03-02-2015, 08:55 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

By the way, i'm on 33's. Fuck yo clubhouse! -> 🎪

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #9 of 24 Old 03-02-2015, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
By the way, i'm on 33's. Fuck yo clubhouse! -> 🎪
I am on 32's so.............. your dick must be bigger
post #10 of 24 Old 03-02-2015, 09:38 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I am just curious...is the purpose to compile builds that have tech in them or just to compile builds all together in one spot?

I think that it is a good idea and I am interested to see where this goes...I will subscribe at this point!!

Welcome to JKO!!

Rodney
Famous Last Words
"Here, hold my beer and watch this!!"
post #11 of 24 Old 03-02-2015, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:

For example:
  • company Builds (rock krawler,metalcloak,teraflex...ect)
  • 1 ton swaps
  • engine swaps
  • built stock axles
  • exploration rigs

Man... I appreciate your opinion on this and I applaud your devotion to this topic... kind of.

I hate to say it but this has been covered before in several different contexts.

This is the problem: Essentially we would wind up with one big cluster-o-fuck builds... and "builds".

Why?

Because everyone has their own interpretation of what "built" means. There is no criteria to really go by ( or to use as an indicator of what is deemed acceptable by the community).

> "I put a Gobi rack on my JKU. Here is the build thread..."
> "Well this is a stupid build because all you did was install a rack and some Scepter cans."
> "Well yes... but it is my idea of an expedition vehicle now. I call it The Brutal Overland Overhaul. Isn't that a catchy name?"
> "Um... sure... but I still think that it doesn't belong in this sub-section."
> "Well you're mean!"
> "Well you're gay."
> "I hate you!"
> "I hate you more."

> "Hey I'm going to put portals under my rig and swap in an LS."
> "Sub-fucking-scribed!!!"
> "Okay... I've now posted 4 pages worth of prep work but now my wife left me and took half of my dog and a bunch of my tools."
> "Well that sucks... So what's the status on the build now?"
> "I had to swap in my own home made Walnut portals that I lathed and I'm going to have to go with a mill from a 1977 Pinto... but Imma run open headers so it's gonna sound SWEET!"
> "You've wasted a lot of my time now... dick."
> "Ha! That's what my wife said!!"

*** In theory it's a good idea but there is a whole lot that can wind up killing the integrity of the sub-section. If we do it, I really feel as if it should be a section where the builds are already done because too many variables will keep it muddied-up and potentially fubar.

I'm not opposed to it necessarily but setting up guidelines and restrictions is gonna be a bitch and is going to get people worked up... We're a sensitive bunch, ya know?

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #12 of 24 Old 03-02-2015, 10:20 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

I'd subscribe to Walnut, Birch, or maybe Elm Portals. Depends on the stain used and how much sanding went into them.

Quote:
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
post #13 of 24 Old 03-02-2015, 10:30 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
I'd subscribe to Walnut, Birch, or maybe Elm Portals. Depends on the stain used and how much sanding went into them.
WTF??? Walnut or Birch I could see, but you're a pigfucking semi-moron if you think Elm is appropriate for portals!

I'm internet-serious; you've gone too fucking far with your unfounded opinions, you fuckwad!

post #14 of 24 Old 03-02-2015, 10:35 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
WTF??? Walnut or Birch I could see, but you're a pigfucking semi-moron if you think Elm is appropriate for portals!

I'm internet-serious; you've gone too fucking far with your unfounded opinions, you fuckwad!

So what the fuck would you use? Cedar, Fir? Better get glue on wood truss and maybe treat those fuckers for termites! Fuck!

Quote:
post #15 of 24 Old 03-02-2015, 10:49 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
So what the fuck would you use? Cedar, Fir? Better get glue on wood truss and maybe treat those fuckers for termites! Fuck!

What the fuck is your problem?

I rightfully jumped your shit about the fuckin' elm, but I fuckin' agreed with you about the fuckin' walnut and the fuckin' birch. Fuck!

Fuck, I didn't even think about termites - we're going about this all wrong, maybe pressure-treated is the ticket?

I think you should consult Esteban - he would fuckin' know what wood best fits your rear-end needs.

post #16 of 24 Old 03-02-2015, 10:52 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
post #17 of 24 Old 03-03-2015, 12:10 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Man... I appreciate your opinion on this and I applaud your devotion to this topic... kind of.

I hate to say it but this has been covered before in several different contexts.

This is the problem: Essentially we would wind up with one big cluster-o-fuck builds... and "builds".

Why?

Because everyone has their own interpretation of what "built" means. There is no criteria to really go by ( or to use as an indicator of what is deemed acceptable by the community).

> "I put a Gobi rack on my JKU. Here is the build thread..."
> "Well this is a stupid build because all you did was install a rack and some Scepter cans."
> "Well yes... but it is my idea of an expedition vehicle now. I call it The Brutal Overland Overhaul. Isn't that a catchy name?"
> "Um... sure... but I still think that it doesn't belong in this sub-section."
> "Well you're mean!"
> "Well you're gay."
> "I hate you!"
> "I hate you more."

> "Hey I'm going to put portals under my rig and swap in an LS."
> "Sub-fucking-scribed!!!"
> "Okay... I've now posted 4 pages worth of prep work but now my wife left me and took half of my dog and a bunch of my tools."
> "Well that sucks... So what's the status on the build now?"
> "I had to swap in my own home made Walnut portals that I lathed and I'm going to have to go with a mill from a 1977 Pinto... but Imma run open headers so it's gonna sound SWEET!"
> "You've wasted a lot of my time now... dick."
> "Ha! That's what my wife said!!"

*** In theory it's a good idea but there is a whole lot that can wind up killing the integrity of the sub-section. If we do it, I really feel as if it should be a section where the builds are already done because too many variables will keep it muddied-up and potentially fubar.

I'm not opposed to it necessarily but setting up guidelines and restrictions is gonna be a bitch and is going to get people worked up... We're a sensitive bunch, ya know?
I agree 100%, it's not that simple. I used to reference the so-called Build Thread all the time when I had my last TJ because it had a lot great information but it as it got bigger it was a PIA to find anything.

A thread is designed to be more focused on one topic like 1 build not every build. A sub-forum is a better choice but the problem is a forum doesn't allow you to add enough details and images to even get a general idea of what each build is about. One thread per build and each builder posts a summary of their build to a master thread might work better. Otherwise it's going to a hardcore moderation to maintain any semblance of order. The KISS principle works best.

Just my $0.02.
post #18 of 24 Old 03-03-2015, 12:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Sweet Gum you fools. Sweet Gum

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #19 of 24 Old 03-03-2015, 03:17 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
Sweet Gum you fools. Sweet Gum
Ohhh lorday, we got another wood portal expert here!!!

Quote:
post #20 of 24 Old 03-03-2015, 03:58 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Fuck a bunch of limits. I've got 32's and a special antenna along with a JKO sticker. Oh yeah and I have the infamous 3/16" drain hole in my fucking side view mirrors. Well.........at least he has Pirate balls.

AND I have white oak lift spacers from ARB Offroad.
Attached Images

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015
post #21 of 24 Old 03-04-2015, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

As of now, I am picking threads that have "info" in them. I know this is going to start a but this will be a thread that people can go to read/learn what it takes. I am going off pictures and actual technical data.

Thats why its taking me so long. I not only have to find these builds but I have to read them from start to finish.
I will not play favorites in my selection and if i get a review from a few of you guys saying "Hey, XXXX build thread doesn't have any good info in it". I will review it and we can move from there.

All I can ask, If you have a build thread make sure you explain whats going on. I am not looking for a book about you running to advanced auto parts because you got the wrong seal 15 times.
I am asking if you have part numbers list them. If you made control arms, list the lengths, size of DOM or even where you ordered the stuff from.

Prime Example:
I have axles, gears,lockers, master rebuild kits and artec swap kits, but I havent even started posting pictures and tech about them going in.

My build for one will not make it in now because I do not have any tech. All I have is parts and part numbers.

This will not be a one time shot. If you get closer to finishing your build and have some good info then we can always update it. We are adults and I for one, do not want to hear bitching about you not making it in this shit.

If you spend 40K at a shop to build your jeep. Lets here what they did, why they did it that way. Every shop should give you a list of everything that's on your jeep. If they put coilovers on your jeep, lets hear some spring rates or if they build a 60, whats in the 60... arb, sleeves, ball joints ect..
This will help you for one, understand whats going on with your rig and it will help this forum understand what it takes to build a top tier jeep.
(I would love to pay someone to build my jeep. I could save alot of time going that route. But I like doing fab work and dont have the money right now for that.) I will not keep you out of the thread just because you paid someone to do the work.
post #22 of 24 Old 03-04-2015, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
I will not play favorites in my selection and if i get a review from a few of you guys saying "Hey, XXXX build thread doesn't have any good info in it". I will review it and we can move from there.
Quote:
If you have a build thread make sure you explain whats going on. I am not looking for a book about you running to advanced auto parts because you got the wrong seal 15 times.
I am asking if you have part numbers list them. If you made control arms, list the lengths, size of DOM or even where you ordered the stuff from.

Quote:
This will not be a one time shot. If you get closer to finishing your build and have some good info then we can always update it. We are adults and I for one, do not want to hear bitching about you not making it in this shit.

Quote:
I will not keep you out of the thread just because you paid someone to do the work.
Okay... So you know that we aren't going to start a sub-forum dedicated to this (?)...

But what you are going to do instead, is to create a thread with a bunch of builds all combined in it???

You do realize what a cluster-fuck of confusion that will be... yes?

Good luck with this undertaking.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #23 of 24 Old 03-04-2015, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Okay... So you know that we aren't going to start a sub-forum dedicated to this (?)...

But what you are going to do instead, is to create a thread with a bunch of builds all combined in it???

You do realize what a cluster-fuck of confusion that will be... yes?

Good luck with this undertaking.
It will be one thread in modified tech? maybe

The goal is it un-cluster-fuck things. I can now insert my foot in my mouth because i have a list of 30+ builds.

every thread, I read the thread from start to finish. then list it like this

Low and stretched

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240329

• 1983 Ford Dana 60
• 1988 14 Bolt
• Stretched
• Cage work

I just need to do this like 35+ more times.
post #24 of 24 Old 03-04-2015, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Gotcha. Let me know if you need any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode