Anybody else with lifter problems? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 07-07-2008, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Anybody else with lifter problems?

Just wondering if anyone else has had problems with weak or collapsed lifters. I had 500miles on my new 08 this past friday when we took it up to Knoebles Grove in Elysburg, PA. Up until then, the thing ran as quiet as a Lexus. And at 500miles, I figured I was past the main break in stage, so I figured it would be ok to start working the jeep a little harder(owners manual recommends 300miles). Well, anyone from around this area and has been up to Elysburg, knows what the hills are like around there. I had one hill I climbed that I was in 2nd gear the whole way up, so it did get worked pretty hard. Anyways, we pulled in the parking lot, and I noticed a ticking coming from the engine, specifically the left, rear corner. Well, its been doing this ever since and I have 700miles on it now. It only starts ticking once I'm up to operating temperature. Its fine in the morning when the thing is cold yet. Had my gf's dad whose a experienced mechanic listen to it and he agrees with me, it sounds like its got a weak lifter in it thats not pumping up all the way. Thing runs great, and I got 16.5mpg with it on the way up there and back, which I figured was pretty good for a "green" engine yet and all those hills.

My only worry is that I already changed oil in it and I'm afraid the dealer will give me grief. I used Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 and a Purolator Pure One filter. I guess I'm just kinda old school, I still believe in change oil after a few hundred miles to get all the crud out from engine break in. It was making noise before I changed oil in it however. I'm just overly paranoid cause my last jeep gave me nothing but problems and I wound up having to lemon law that one.

SOLD-08 Unlimited X, "jeep green", auto, limited slip, hushpower muffler, Aerotech Interceptor gauge,Powerstroke tranny cooler, skidrow evap skid, AFE Pro 7 filter, Teraflex leveling kit, EVO control arm skids, 15x8 Black Rock 909's, 33" KM2's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-07-2008, 07:36 PM

Be sure that your problem is not an exhaust leak instead of a lifter problem. They can sounds really similar sometimes.

The thing that makes me think exhaust leak is that you say it gets worse at operating temp. An exhaust leak will tend to do this as the crack,gap tends to expand when heated. Lifter issues usually are worse when the engine, and therefore the oil, is cold. They usually tend to quiet down more at operating temp.

Maybe I'm right. Exhaust leaks are way easier to fix.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-07-2008, 08:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

off topic but i was at knobels friday to.

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 07-08-2008, 02:39 AM
Granite Guru

My injectors are loud as hell. I thought it was valve train noise, but the mechanic let me listen with a stethoscope. It was definitely the injectors.

2012 JKUR Bright White
EVO Enforcer 4" w King 2.0's
37" Toyo Open Country MT's
post #5 of 14 Old 07-08-2008, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

I tried feeling around for an exhaust leak, but I couldn't feel any anywhere around the driver side manifold. The noise is definately coming from the left rear corner of the engine. As for the injector, I guess it could be, but it definately sounds different from the normal "ticking" of the injectors....I don't know, its hard to explain. Either way, I hope the dealer can atleast hear the noise and will fix the darn thing. I went through so much crap with the last jeep just trying to get a dealer to fix the thing.

While I have it there, I think I'm gonna see if they will repair the front, pass. side door seal that keeps popping off the door when I open it and also see if they can do anything about the wind whistleing over the front edge of the top above 30mph. I've also got a loud, high pitched whistle that comes from the engine at part throttle, don't know if they can do anything about that or not. I figured its just the way the air is moving across the throttle blade.

SOLD-08 Unlimited X, "jeep green", auto, limited slip, hushpower muffler, Aerotech Interceptor gauge,Powerstroke tranny cooler, skidrow evap skid, AFE Pro 7 filter, Teraflex leveling kit, EVO control arm skids, 15x8 Black Rock 909's, 33" KM2's
post #6 of 14 Old 07-08-2008, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Beermonkey, great park isn't it? Its definately my favorite. Nice and shadey, campgrounds right next door, and it just has a nice old time, family feel to it. That and the fact that its free to get in I didn't think the weather was gonna hold out friday, but it did.

post #7 of 14 Old 07-08-2008, 09:36 AM
Rock God

My injectors clatter like crazy, worst I've ever heard. Hopefully that's what your noise is.

/jl

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-08-2008, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

the injectors don't sound all that bad really. However, after listening to it today, it could possibly be one of the injectors making that noise as well. Either way, its going in tomorrow to get looked at.

John L, I had a 4.0 that the injectors clattered real bad on too. I guess some just do and some don't.

post #9 of 14 Old 07-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMonkeY View Post
off topic but i was at knobels friday to.
Geez, I was there at Knoebles Saturday for a family reunion. I grew up 15 minutes away from Knoebles, great park.

By the way, which mountain did you need to use 2nd gear? You have a stick or auto as I climbed about every mountain around there in 5th with no problem. Just wondering...

08 Rubicon 2DR Red Rock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-08-2008, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

this was actually closer to my current residence in Lebanon. We were taking the back way up to 81N. I have the auto in mine. I was trying to keep up with my gf's parents up ahead who were doing about 50-55mph up the hill. I've always been told that working them hard is the best way to break them in anyways. I'm just hoping that didn't hurt a lifter or anything. I'm hoping its something simple like a injector or even a cracked manifold, but I don't usually get that lucky.

But yeah, its a great park up there. My parents used to take us camping up there every summer when we had our old pop-up. If we have the money, I'd like to take my gf and hear little 4yr. old boy up again to go camping this summer yet.

post #11 of 14 Old 07-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Granite Guru

Hopefully it is something simple however I am like you, it is never something simple. I hear they now have cabins that can be rented at Knoebles also. Might also be an option...

08 Rubicon 2DR Red Rock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-08-2008, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

they've had them since I was a little kid, probably even longer. But, to me, thats not really camping. Ofcourse, I guess a campsite with electricity and bathrooms with showers within in walking distance aren't exactly roughing it either

post #13 of 14 Old 07-14-2008, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Well, I took off work today and took the jeep back to the dealer and test drove it with the shop foreman. He definately heard the ticking noise and the high pitched "whistleing" or " squealing" noise I get from the engine at part throttle. We test drove a new one off the lot too, and it didn't make any unusual noises. He said he wasn't to sure if it was bad enough for them to fix it though. I said, well, they better, cause its not like its did this from day one, it just started. Anyways, I'm taking it in wednesday, and hes gonna see if he can figure out where the noises are coming from and call chrysler to see what they say. Unfortuantely, I'm sure I can see where this is going.

post #14 of 14 Old 07-15-2008, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

well, found a huge thread on "that other forum" with guys that all have problems with a ticking noise, especially at idle. Most of them had problems with exhaust leaks, but on most of theirs, the noise seemed more pronounced when cold, and gradually went away as it heated up. Mines the opposite, don't hear it until the engine is hot.

The rest, it seemed to be an injector issue. Some ran fuel system cleaner through the engine in a couple tanks of gas, and it went away. One guy however, don't know if hes a dealership mechanic or what, stated that the 3.8's did have some lifter problems in the minivans, so, I'm pretty much back at square one, mine could be any of them I guess. I guess I'll have to wait and see what the dealer says. I'm sure nothing good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode