Annoying Rattle/Vibration - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 02-23-2015, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Annoying Rattle/Vibration

every since I bought my Jeep last September it has had an annoying rattle/vibration. I first noticed it when it only occasionally did it upon acceleration from a dead stop. even then it didn't do it all the time, only when I took off fast from a dead stop.

lately it started doing it even when I take off in a normal fashion and it will sometimes even do it when I accelerate after already in motion. it sounds like it comes from the front half of my Jeep and only lasts about 1 to 2 seconds. I can barely feel it in the steering wheel and floor boards when it does it.

I know it's not from the tires because it has done this through 2 sets of tires and they have all been balanced and properly rotated. I have also recently replaced both ring and pinions along with all of the axle bearings and seals. the vibration/rattle was heard and felt before and after these were replaced also.

I have heard people say they have had a rattle from a heat shield but I don't think that is my case. if it was I believe I could hear/feel this when my Jeep is in park/neutral when reving the engine but I can't duplicate it this way. it only wants to make the noise when I am in motion.

I am lost on what to check now. does anyone have any idea's? oh forgot to mention this is a 2011 JKUR with an automatic transmission.

2011 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
- 3.5" Rubicon Express lift /w 1.25" BL
- 5.38 Yukon gears
- 40" Pro Comp MT2's
- Lot's of extra's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-24-2015, 05:29 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Could be your fender liners

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-24-2015, 07:10 AM
Rock God

Also if you have an aftermarket exhaust you can also check if the piping is rubbing anywhere, the exhaust shifts in the mounts when the engine is under load. Mine was rubbing the frame but only under hard acceleration or when reversing. (It was hitting the factory transfer case skid and also the frame above the rear axle.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 02-24-2015, 11:05 AM
Wheeler

is yours a manual? do you feel like its coming from around the stick? I get this, mostly in 3rd gear, sometimes 4th... It seems to come and go... I havent enough data to be sure, but I feel like when I have a passenger it doesnt do it. I have read a few things that infer it might be wiring under the interior trim that can be buffered to stop it, but I havent had the chance to get in there yet.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-24-2015, 11:09 AM
Rock God

If it is your exhaust it will not duplicate idling in park. Maybe try and and apply some gas in park to see if you hear the rattle then. This is how I diagnosed my exhaust rattle. Annoying as shit. And would only do it taking off or accelerating. Took it to an exhaust shop and they made an adjustment. No longer have issue. Good luck
post #6 of 16 Old 02-24-2015, 03:00 PM
Wheeler

I had this problem and it was a broken weld on the heat shield. Get underneath it and check all the welds where it connects. I fixed mine with a hose clamp.

2007 Sahara Unlimited
2.5" Teraflex Coil Lift
JKS sway bar discos
15x8 Ion Alloys
33x12.5 Goodyear Duratracs
Superchips Flashpaq
Ace sliders with conveyor belt mod
post #7 of 16 Old 02-24-2015, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrogMech46 View Post
Could be your fender liners
it did this before I cut my fenders and it only does it intermittently. I will investigate it though.

- 5.38 Yukon gears
- 40" Pro Comp MT2's
- Lot's of extra's
post #8 of 16 Old 02-24-2015, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Also if you have an aftermarket exhaust you can also check if the piping is rubbing anywhere, the exhaust shifts in the mounts when the engine is under load. Mine was rubbing the frame but only under hard acceleration or when reversing. (It was hitting the factory transfer case skid and also the frame above the rear axle.)
it's still my stock exhaust. I haven't had the funding to upgrade it yet. I will crawl under it and shake it to see if it makes contact with anything.

- 5.38 Yukon gears
- 40" Pro Comp MT2's
- Lot's of extra's
post #9 of 16 Old 02-24-2015, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBoy View Post
is yours a manual? do you feel like its coming from around the stick? I get this, mostly in 3rd gear, sometimes 4th... It seems to come and go... I havent enough data to be sure, but I feel like when I have a passenger it doesnt do it. I have read a few things that infer it might be wiring under the interior trim that can be buffered to stop it, but I havent had the chance to get in there yet.
it's an automatic

- 5.38 Yukon gears
- 40" Pro Comp MT2's
- Lot's of extra's
post #10 of 16 Old 02-24-2015, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by da20captain View Post
If it is your exhaust it will not duplicate idling in park. Maybe try and and apply some gas in park to see if you hear the rattle then. This is how I diagnosed my exhaust rattle. Annoying as shit. And would only do it taking off or accelerating. Took it to an exhaust shop and they made an adjustment. No longer have issue. Good luck
i'm thinking it might be something in my exhaust. it almost feels like when you start to take off with knobby mud tires and you can feel the knobs of the tires hitting the pavement but it only last a second and then quits. like I previously said, it has done this through 2 different sets of tires (AT's and MT's) so I have ruled tire vibrations out. you can just barely feel it but you can hear it fairly well.

- 5.38 Yukon gears
- 40" Pro Comp MT2's
- Lot's of extra's
post #11 of 16 Old 02-24-2015, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk_perdido View Post
I had this problem and it was a broken weld on the heat shield. Get underneath it and check all the welds where it connects. I fixed mine with a hose clamp.
most people are suggesting this. I just figured if it was the heat shield it would do it while in park or neutral while hitting the gas but it doesn't. I guess I will investigate this as a possible cause also. exactly where do I need to look while underneath?

- 5.38 Yukon gears
- 40" Pro Comp MT2's
- Lot's of extra's
post #12 of 16 Old 02-24-2015, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

so far the consensus is heat shield or exhaust. on my next couple days off, tomorrow and Thursday I will try to get under my Jeep and look specifically at these two area's weather permitting. thanks for the idea's guys!

- 5.38 Yukon gears
- 40" Pro Comp MT2's
- Lot's of extra's
post #13 of 16 Old 02-25-2015, 11:38 AM
Granite Guru

Do you have D-C drive shafts , if so check centering ball . IIRC Stub had some issues with noise also as you are describing . Good Luck ......regards k.
post #14 of 16 Old 02-26-2015, 06:30 PM
Wheeler

Not sure if this is close, but did the 11 Rubicons have that tinfoil little cross bar that my 14 did right under the exhaust up front (I have no idea what Jeep calls that part, just a thin metal bar, not the transmission crossmember and it certainly wouldnt qualify to be called a skid)? I had a similar noise on acceleration. I had clunked that bar on the trail and the exhaust was rattling on it. I solved the problem by getting real skids which removed the bar.

2014 JKR "Bob" - RK X Factor 2.5, Nitto Trail Grapplers 37x12.5x17, Auto, 5.13, Rock Hard Skids, PS HD Cross member, Artec Axle Armor F&R, Artec Rear LCA Mounts/Skids, Synergy Rear Axle Side Weld on TB Bracket, PSC Hydroassist
post #15 of 16 Old 02-26-2015, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
re:annoying rattle /vibration

before you dig around w/ mechanical components ( & understanding that 'noise from front half of my Jeep ' could encompass a wide range of culprits) , go for a couple of rattles thst I've trouble-shot and that made noise / vibes that you wouldnt expect to be that prominent & were . One i even felt as you mention & was surprising in what it was and what it caused ;
check the heat shield bolts that cover the exhaust manifolds ( for that matter you are gonna wanna lay under / hang over / contort around and check every heatshid by wiggling w/ your hand in as close a manner as can resemble the tone of higher RPMs ....if not a heat shield ( & there's a bunch of those ) , check the steering wheel shaft from where she exits firewall down to the joint that has a bolt and wiggle it well at that bolt in the folding joint beside your brake lines in engine bay.
Next , still not discovered ? I actually had one of the torques-headed bolts on the cowling slightly loose that caused the metal cowling to vibrate at just the right tonal note in the rpm band that drove me bonkers for 6months ...nylon washers behind these took care of that .
Also (I hope you're seeing that there is much troubleshooting and gettin is to your Jeeps crannies to do ) the air vent just between windshield hinge and hood? in the center that allows fresh air in? it has a crosshatched grate of plastic that can rattle even tho that probably wouldn't be felt near your feet....the surprising one I discovered and mentioned was the visor above the driver had a bolt slightly needing torque and the whole assembly was jiggling just ever so slightly, and whn it rattled the A-pillar plastic cover acted the same as a sub woofer tube would and amplified the noise - tightened that and it was gone .
it goes without saying to check that you don't have any loose shackles or bolts or obvious stuff but that should get you hunting it down

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 16 Old 03-09-2015, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

I still haven't pin pointed my rattle yet but it seems to be getting worse. I can duplicate it now by putting my Jeep in drive and holding the brake down while giving it a little bit of gas. it still won't do it in neutral. it's either got to be a heat shield or exhaust because it is doing it with no moving parts (axles, wheels, driveshafts, etc). the rattle still happens when the vehicle is stationary.

- 5.38 Yukon gears
- 40" Pro Comp MT2's
- Lot's of extra's

Last edited by CamoCop; 03-09-2015 at 07:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode