Meanwhile here in the frozen tundra of Texas - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 02-23-2015, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Meanwhile here in the frozen tundra of Texas

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2015/02/23/j...ivers-on-i-20/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-24-2015, 06:01 AM
Granite Guru

Love it

2011 Sport 2dr - SOLD
2013 JKU Sport - SOLD
2014 JKU Sport - Wife's DD
2015 JKU Sport - New Hotness
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-24-2015, 08:22 AM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

That's great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
We liked you better when we didn't know you. If you just fucked off we could go back to not giving a shit about you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 02-24-2015, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Growing up in a northern climate I have always laughed here in Texas when we close schools or delay because of a "dusting" of snow. Hell today we delayed because of cold temps and possible precipitation.

Those guys up in Dallas I applaud. What a fun time they must have had.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-24-2015, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartj17 View Post
Growing up in a northern climate I have always laughed here in Texas when we close schools or delay because of a "dusting" of snow. Hell today we delayed because of cold temps and possible precipitation.

Those guys up in Dallas I applaud. What a fun time they must have had.
You and I both.

"Schools closed due to freezing temperatures and possibility of frozen precipitation" ...

Really... Gimme a break. Central/ South Central Texas just kills me when it comes to weather "events" and the mass hysteria that seems to follow...

"GET OUT OF MY FUCKING WAY!!! THERE'S A POSSIBLE TRACE OF SLEET COMING!!! I HAVE TO GET TOILET PAPER AND BEER AND DORITOS!!!!"

Never even mind that there's only about a 10% chance of the 30% rain-chance turning into freezing rain or sleet and that 2 days from now it will be in the upper 50's. lmao.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #6 of 16 Old 02-24-2015, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Stub... Even out here in the Hill Country it wasn't that bad either. To my dismay I looked on facebook at the total outrage about the kids having school yesterday, not to mention they didn't cancel it today. I understand my HS students Softball game getting Canceled.. that I get, but jesus it's 33 degrees and misting...

Meanwhile... I'm heading to HEB for TP, Beer and Doritos!!!!
post #7 of 16 Old 02-24-2015, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartj17 View Post
Stub... Even out here in the Hill Country it wasn't that bad either. To my dismay I looked on facebook at the total outrage about the kids having school yesterday, not to mention they didn't cancel it today. I understand my HS students Softball game getting Canceled.. that I get, but jesus it's 33 degrees and misting...

Meanwhile... I'm heading to HEB for TP, Beer and Doritos!!!!
Certainly... I can also completely understand outdoor games and practices getting cancelled. It's definitely chilly out there right now, but it seems like schools just cancel classes for so many ridiculous reasons. I still don't understand why so many "holidays" are justification for kids being out of school... subsequently exacerbating the continued demise of our children's education as well.

... And yes... Chelsea and I are also off to HEB for groceries lol. SO HELP ME... if anyone gets in my way as I'm heading towards the bacon or the Sour Patch Kids!!

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #8 of 16 Old 02-24-2015, 11:07 AM
Rock God

Garage

I think I t's all about the whole hyper-cautious approach to everything these days. I grew up in northwest Arkansas, and while it was nothing like the upper Midwest, or the northeast, we did get a few decent snowfalls each winter. I remember the buses running with chains. I remember being on a bus that slid off into the ditch, and a nearby farmer coming and pulling us out with his tractor.

Nowadays (I know, I'm sounding like an old codger here), school administrators are so afraid of of the liabilities involved in the things that were a part of everyday life then, that they knee-jerk when there's a 30% chance of rain that there's a 10% chance of freezing. (Nice one Stub!)

I think it also has a lot to do with a widespread victim mentality among the public though. Even if my school bus had wrecked and I had been injured, no one would have sued the school system -- things happen. But now, it seems that everybody is looking for someone to blame, and for a way to dip into someone else's pocket. It would be nice to see some folks grow up, and some others to grow a spine.

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #9 of 16 Old 02-24-2015, 11:11 AM
Wheeler

I have been on business travel in Arlington Tx for 2 weeks. I am from florida and I don't think even we would overract this much to a little cold rain and ice. I did watch the news report last night about the Jeep club guys....pretty cool. Kinda wish I could have joined them but doubt my little rental eco box would have helped much =P
post #10 of 16 Old 02-24-2015, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Living outside of Austin we don't get a whole lot of weather, Dallas now that's a different story.

From Florida to Texas you would think it would be the same reaction but I guess it's all the Snowbirds who are use to it

Check out the Ft Worth Stockyards while you are there... Great food and drinks!!
post #11 of 16 Old 02-24-2015, 12:10 PM
Gib
Rock God

My 11YO was upset this morning when I told him that he had to go to school the same as all the other days here, when they delayed school in Killeen. I reminded him that just two years ago we were in upstate NY and the weather wasn't even this nice in May.
post #12 of 16 Old 02-24-2015, 05:26 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

That is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #13 of 16 Old 02-24-2015, 06:26 PM
Rock God

Very cool about the jeep club, I did the same thing this time last year here in Atlanta when the city was shut down. Unfortunately I couldn't make it to my boss who was stuck on I-285 overnight cause he was to stubborn to leave work early in his 2wd suburban.

2008 Jeep JK Unlimited Rescue Green NSG370
RK 3.5 X Factor mid arm
37x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers
PSC BFH trail stinger
PSC narrow fenders

A lot more to come very soon!
post #14 of 16 Old 02-24-2015, 07:13 PM
Granite Guru

Cool!
post #15 of 16 Old 02-26-2015, 11:01 PM
Granite Guru

Awesome!! I've done this since I was a kid with my first jeep, lots of fun and most people really appreciate it. My strap stays in the back all winter.
post #16 of 16 Old 02-28-2015, 08:32 AM
Rock God

Garage

My club does something similar, almost all major storms, except it consists of driving hospital workers and essential personelle to and from the hospital.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1796378/je...-winter-storm/

Also, the hysteria I find hilarious...here on the east coast, just north of Maine, our total accumulation for the past 4 weeks is right around 9 feet. Yes, 9 feet

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode