Engine noise - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 02-19-2015, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Engine noise

So I have 2011 Rubicon. I was 1800 miles over on my oil change and it was making an engine noise took it in to the dealership this morning and they said it was down to a quart and a half. They change the oil and it's still making noise. The guy from the dealership says to drive it for 1200 to 1800 more miles if it still making noise bring it back in. The jeep has 52000 on it any advice as to why it was so low on oils and why the noise?

No oil spots in the garage or sign of a leak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-19-2015, 09:07 PM
Granite Guru

Little concussed or I'm having a blonde moment...are you saying there was only 1 1/2 quart left inside or it was low a quart and 1/2?

OIF
post #3 of 18 Old 02-19-2015, 09:12 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

The 3.8 is notorious for excessive oil consumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 02-19-2015, 11:47 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I would imagine running your engine with insufficient oil levels will harm it. especially since your engine only had 1.5 quarts of oil in it when it calls for 6 quarts. that's quite a difference in my opinion. as previously mentioned, the 3.8L engine is notorious for burning excessive amounts of oil. I am paranoid about mine and check my oil level about every 1k miles. so far I have not noticed mine burning any oil.

2011 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
- 3.5" Rubicon Express lift /w 1.25" BL
- 5.38 Yukon gears
- 40" Pro Comp MT2's
- Lot's of extra's
post #5 of 18 Old 02-20-2015, 05:14 AM
Granite Guru

Is the noise coming from the top of the engine or from the bottom?
post #6 of 18 Old 02-20-2015, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

It was down to only having 1 1/2 quarts
post #7 of 18 Old 02-20-2015, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

1 1/2 left of oil
post #8 of 18 Old 02-20-2015, 09:39 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thahlen View Post
It was down to only having 1 1/2 quarts
No bueno

OIF
post #9 of 18 Old 02-20-2015, 10:09 AM
Granite Guru

No suggestion for you other than keep an eye on it and hopefully no damage was done. My 2010 has 113k on it and has burned a quart every 1500 miles for as long as I can remember.
post #10 of 18 Old 02-20-2015, 12:41 PM
Rock God

Quote:
So I have 2011 Rubicon. I was 1800 miles over on my oil change and it was making an engine noise took it in to the dealership this morning and they said it was down to a quart and a half. They change the oil and it's still making noise. The guy from the dealership says to drive it for 1200 to 1800 more miles if it still making noise bring it back in. The jeep has 52000 on it any advice as to why it was so low on oils and why the noise?

No oil spots in the garage or sign of a leak.
So is the dealership thinking it might heal itself over time?? Drive for another 1200 miles and see if the noise goes away? WTF? Whatever damage was done is not going to get better! Whether you spun a bearing, broke a ring, ate a lifter, shit a valve (who knows what happened when the engine was starved for oil) its not going to get better. In fact, you may end up doing more damage. Minor bearing damage can sometimes be repaired. Severe bearing damage and you throw the motor away and start over.

I would think your choices are either tear into it now and fix whatever failed now if that is feasible and cost effective. Or drive it until something really shits the bed and then just plan on a complete new engine. Depending on the damage, it might go 200 miles or it might go 20,000. Do you feel lucky?
post #11 of 18 Old 02-20-2015, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

So it goes to the dealership first thing Monday. I am still under warranty so to me it makes since. I have had several wranglers none ate oil like this on.

Thanks to all for the time.
post #12 of 18 Old 02-20-2015, 03:18 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
The 3.8 is notorious for excessive oil consumption.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionicrooster View Post
My 2010 has 113k on it and has burned a quart every 1500 miles for as long as I can remember.
I used Mobil1 5W/20 exclusively from 600 miles onward in my 2010, giving the high-tech hype the benefit of the doubt.
Around 30k, it started using over a quart between ~5k oil changes, so I changed my PCV valve and it calmed down.
Around 40k, it started using ~1.5 qts. between changes, so I switched to dino 10W/30 and I have ~ZERO oil consumption now at 50k.

Now, running dino 10W/30, if it starts eating (not leaking) oil and the PCV is OK, I'll know new engine time is near.
Before, all I knew from the consumption was that Mobil1 5W/20 is fookin' thin.

This 1-gallon (3.8l) V6 was not designed for 5W/20 - that recommendation is purely for fuel economy, as far as I know.
Dino (non-synthetic) 10W/30 will get sucked past the rings a lot more slowly than the "correct" synthetic 5W/20.

I'm not saying you should do that ^^^, I'm just saying I'd rather carry 5 extra gallons of gas than of oil.

Quote:
So it goes to the dealership first thing Monday. I am still under warranty so to me it makes since. I have had several wranglers none ate oil like this on.

Thanks to all for the time.
I hope I'm dead wrong here but if you ran it out of oil, the dealer's repair / rebuild will be chargeable, not warranty.
If your engine is toast and the fix isn't free, the dealer may not be your best resource for getting it fixed (but they may).

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #13 of 18 Old 02-20-2015, 04:57 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
[COLOR="Lime"]I used Mobil1 5W/20 exclusively from 600 miles onward in my 2010, giving the high-tech hype the benefit of the doubt.
Around 30k, it started using over a quart between ~5k oil changes, so I changed my PCV valve and it calmed down.
Around 40k, it started using ~1.5 qts. between changes, so I switched to dino 10W/30 and I have ~ZERO oil consumption now at 50k.

Now, running dino 10W/30, if it starts eating (not leaking) oil and the PCV is OK, I'll know new engine time is near.
Before, all I knew from the consumption was that Mobil1 5W/20 is fookin' thin.
I believed in the synthetic was always better (for every engine) when I was in my 20's. After burning oil samples for the past 5+ years, my opinion has changed. Synthetic in a daily driver or anything not seeing high rpms/loads it a waste of your time/money. I still run 5k miles on dino oil in my JK (outside of the first oil change), the wife's durango, my previous Camaro SS/Nissan Titan/Dodge Stratus (w/174k miles on the original engine and transmission).

It's one thing if you're running around the road course, at 4500 rpms+. It's another thing when you're driving down the road and very rarely go past 3k rpms/let it rip now and then.

You would be amazed at how well dino oil does up against synthetic in daily drivers. It is hard to impress me, but color me impressed. (awaits rainbow jokes )

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
post #14 of 18 Old 02-20-2015, 06:11 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
post #15 of 18 Old 02-21-2015, 11:01 AM
Rock God

Just had a crazy thought.............Maybe, just maybe the dealer is trying to do you a favor. Maybe the dealer told you to drive it for 1200 miles because it will put time and miles between the low oil event and the repair from an engine noise.

Sometimes dealer try to work for you and sometimes they try to work against you. This might be a case of the former and not the latter.

Just a crazy thought...............
post #16 of 18 Old 02-21-2015, 02:16 PM

The 3.8L is a rather agricultural design and is temperamental when it comes to oil consumption.
Some use oil and some, hardly any.
I run mine on 10W 30 and I have never had to add oil.
With regards to warranty, I don't know what it is like there but here it would be difficult to get warranty on collateral damage caused by low oil as the Operating manual states that the oil level should be checked each time you fuel up.
This covers them against such things.
post #17 of 18 Old 02-24-2015, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

So a new engine it is provided free of charge from Chrysler. Two spun bearings is the issue.
post #18 of 18 Old 02-24-2015, 09:58 PM

A new engine is good news under the circumstances.
What is Chryslers explanation for the cause of the failure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode