About to buy a front D44 need some help. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 02-19-2015, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

About to buy a front D44 need some help.

SO... I just trashed my D30 with a TnT truss, 4.88s and ARB locker at the time of this upgrade 20k miles ago I was unaware of the pinion size difference though all I needed was to re-enforce the tubes and C's. Made a fatal mistake and exploded the ring and pinion earlier today.

I am going to try to sell it for parts, D30 housing with a truss system in great shape, ARB locker, 4.88 carrier. Now I guess I will do a D44 I have been reading there are several brands to choose from and everyone seems to have their own recommendation. Budget is $5200 ish dollars I want a bolt in fully built assembly, I have looked at Pro Rock, Currie, G2.

Which one should I buy and why.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-19-2015, 03:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Teraflex makes one as well.

Also consider finding a built stock 44. Could save yourself some coin.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-19-2015, 04:12 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

By the time you build out a TF housing you're right there at Pro Rock money. If you've got $5200 you're willing to spend I think the knee jerk reaction would be a Pro Rock Unlimited.

If you want to save a bunch of money a stock 44 isn't anything to shake a stick at if you throw a truss on it. The Pro Rock will have thicker tubes and stronger Cs but you can fix that with a couple hundred bucks in truss and gussets.

Marcus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-19-2015, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks, I talked to the guys at Northridge been doing more reading sounds like Pro Rock is the way to go $4700 shipped for what I want. They also informed me their axle housing is only one made in the US. I did not know Teraflex was built over seas, but appears they are. Also looked into G2 then I looked away.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-19-2015, 04:18 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAFICON View Post
Thanks, I talked to the guys at Northridge been doing more reading sounds like Pro Rock is the way to go $4700 shipped for what I want. They also informed me their axle housing is only one made in the US. I did not know Teraflex was built over seas, but appears they are. Also looked into G2 then I looked away.
Good plan.

post #6 of 10 Old 02-19-2015, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I have to check back see if that $4700 figure has knuckles or not.

Anyone got an opinion on value of a built D30 fair price? Full TnT Truss system set up for 4.88, ARB locker. Needs new gears.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-19-2015, 04:25 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAFICON View Post
I have to check back see if that $4700 figure has knuckles or not.

Anyone got an opinion on value of a built D30 fair price? Full TnT Truss system set up for 4.88, ARB locker. Needs new gears.
That price wouldn't include Reid knuckle.

Not sure on the D30.

post #8 of 10 Old 02-19-2015, 04:28 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

If I remember correctly when you order the PR44 you reuse all your outers. If you still have the money in the budget since you are already doing the PR44 I would try to find a set of Reid Knuckles, that was the route that I took and I am glad that I did it all at once. Just a suggestion. I am very happy with how easily the PR44 bolted right in.

Rodney
Famous Last Words
"Here, hold my beer and watch this!!"
post #9 of 10 Old 02-19-2015, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Well sadly the amount of wheeling I get to do is very minimal now. Winter time all the trails are closed, summertime I am in 3 hour recall. I do get the occasional break to go play but not to often. I just want to go ahead and get the better axle now. I was on the fence about going to a different locker but I just spent a lot of money building a leak free OBA system.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-19-2015, 06:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Don't dismiss the Teraflex housing. They use some overseas parts but they're assembled in their US shops. I have one in front and it's a work of art, in fact I'd like to have one over my fireplace. When it's time for a rear D60 they'll get my money. No knock on Dynatrac at all, but they're not the only game in town.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode