Help w/ Unwanted Inversion sought - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 02-19-2015, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Help w/ Unwanted Inversion sought

so , I will begin with the most important fact that the wife and son of my buddy are all ok , albeit shaken -up. They live on a high ridge with about a mile long driveway ( most would consider it a fire service road ) that is literally three + inches of ice at present . Descending yesterday very slowly , he ( my friend ; an excellent amazing off-road driver , btw) had to slow without using brakes too extremely and did so by nudging inside corner of the road ( outside edge is a 150-200 foot drop thru woodlands to road below ) to aid in slowing and before he knew what happened the rig was on its top and sliding (went an extra 30' on roof with 10 yr old screaming and wife crying -yikes) before coming to rest as you see in Picts .
again , all of them are ok and they have coverage but I am of the opinion thst the jeep should not sit there until the ice melts , upside down . Any help with best way to get this off the hill if it is even possible ? what are possible repercussions of the engine sitting inverted for two to three days ? I am considering digging or melting the correct patches for my tires to rest upon solid earth -above where their Jeep sits - so as to attempt to use my winch (11,500) and their tractor with shackle blocks and anchors to upright the rig but he says to wait for the ice to melt ( Saturday at earliest ) thanks for your input
crazy lucky they didn't go over the edge , right?

Attached Images

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 02-19-2015 at 08:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-19-2015, 08:01 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

What about acces to tracked machine..of some kind..and said winch

and glad everyone is ok

How I LEARNED TO STOP GIVING A SHIT AND LOVE MINDLESS SELF INDULGENCE

It’s time to reevaluate the way we coddle the future generation. Making mistakes and getting hurt is how you grow. Teaching kids to fear Pop Tarts is how you promote xenophobia. Let’s get it together, America.
post #3 of 18 Old 02-19-2015, 08:02 AM
CalmerThanYouAre

That's some scary stuff and I'm sure glad everyone was alright. I would LOVE to have a mile long driveway.

I support the military, fiscal responsibility, Hemp, legalization of Marijuana over 21, smaller government and the Bill of Rights.

NSA: The only part of the government that actually listens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 02-19-2015, 08:07 AM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

Ouch, Glad everyone is ok!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
We liked you better when we didn't know you. If you just fucked off we could go back to not giving a shit about you.
post #5 of 18 Old 02-19-2015, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

they have an amazing place along a river north of Nashville ; even have offroad trails on property but you cannot take a car up the driveway even in Summer unless you know how to drive . The scary part was the sliding thirty feet on the JKs roof , he said . yeah , I figure tracked front loader will be best but he insists it isn't gonna be reachable and it's driving me bonkers knowing the Jeep is sitting with oil and fluids going who knows where ....
what we are dealing with ( see his Rzr just barely at top of this image which is from where the jeep rests looking up drive )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 Old 02-19-2015, 08:22 AM
Rock God

Garage

The oil will likely find it's way out of the engine, but the coolant and fuel will stay put, as long as the roll-over valve at the fuel tank is working.

For getting it down, sand is your friend. Spread it out on the ice and drive pretty much like normal. Putting down a mile of it will suck, but it's doable. It might be worth buying a small broadcast spreader like you'd use to put fertilizer on a lawn.

Good luck.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
post #7 of 18 Old 02-19-2015, 08:27 AM
Random Dude

Just a thought: Sand should definitely work, but what about heavy-duty tire chains (like for logging trucks) on all 4 wheels?
EDIT: preferably with sharp cleats like this:

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful

Last edited by ExWrench; 02-19-2015 at 08:36 AM.
post #8 of 18 Old 02-19-2015, 08:38 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Saturday is only supposed to be high of 44, it could take all day Saturday and into sunday for 3 inches of ice to melt.

Why not hire a towing company http://www.westnashvillewrecker.com/

They have the experience, no sense in killing yourself if something goes wrong. Gravity has all ready taken over for all the fluids by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #9 of 18 Old 02-19-2015, 10:46 AM
Granite Guru

Agreed, fluids aren't going to get much worse after the first hour. Gonna have to pull all the plugs and clear the cylinders now anyway along with refilling the oil. If it's not needed Id just leave it until everything clears up.

I know here in Memphis were supposed to get another round Monday I think, but it's gonna be in the 60's this weekend with lots of rain. Should clear it up if you get the same.

Jeepless
post #10 of 18 Old 02-19-2015, 10:50 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

That is not a single rig recovery. Do you have a Facebook account? If so, look up a guy named Joseph M. Osuch, he runs one of the best off road recovery serves here in AZ. He has recovered some real difficult to reach vehicles. He could probably give you proper advice before more people end up in trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #11 of 18 Old 02-19-2015, 11:10 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
That is not a single rig recovery. Do you have a Facebook account? If so, look up a guy named Joseph M. Osuch, he runs one of the best off road recovery serves here in AZ. He has recovered some real difficult to reach vehicles. He could probably give you proper advice before more people end up in trouble.
This guy?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arizo...c/234376177099

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #12 of 18 Old 02-19-2015, 11:56 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Yep, that guy. He is a competent offroad recovery guy.

Quote:
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
post #13 of 18 Old 02-19-2015, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

you guys are awesome ; all the help is very appreciated and useful.
It was ( as mentioned) a multi human/multi machine ( tracktor, backhoe and block and winches) effort to upright with it on 3" of ice..... of which I wish I had gotten video but my pal got it righted and while probably gonna be totaled ( a new JK will be bought ) as we've all agreed multiple times most important was the family wasnt hurt.
Also the Jeep is upright.

thnks for support I will pass it all on to them. this forum is cool as shit. I don't feel bad for spending 80% of my time here.

(i meant to mention that while everyone is fallible, this guy has been bred & spread in the South. He can basically drive anything like he was born to; this shows that even the best of us can be susceptible to the uncontrollable laws of physics when weather is fubared . Be careful out there!)

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 02-19-2015 at 08:56 PM.
post #14 of 18 Old 02-19-2015, 09:02 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Glad to hear that he got it sorted out and everyone is safe. Knew that one would be a difficult one, but, it's done now and safely.

Quote:
post #15 of 18 Old 02-19-2015, 09:11 PM
Rock God

Garage

I saw a picture of that on Facebook... first thing I thought of was that edge. Scary shit! I've been upside down in a JK before, scary shit for sure. But, they are pretty damn tough. Best wishes to your friend!

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #16 of 18 Old 02-20-2015, 05:49 AM
Granite Guru

I'm so glad the family is ok, and think of the stories the kid can give in school!

too bad about the Jeep. Rescue Green is my all-time fav color for the JKs. if i can ever find a comanche to rebuild, I'll be painting it RG.
post #17 of 18 Old 02-20-2015, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

yup, Grimscale; the nicest family you could imagine ...little boy was scared nearly to his wits end but they are all good now; I appreciate the sentiment and the Jeep is gonna be replaced....it was a good looking one; my buddies wife's baby.....she won't go long without a new one as she adored it.

post #18 of 18 Old 02-21-2015, 05:37 AM
Rock God

Glad to hear everyone is safe and you were able to get the Jeep uprighted without any further damage.

After an experenice like this, especially with a 150-200ft drop just over the edge, I would be putting up a guardrail

2010 4-DOOR MOUNTAIN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode