Safe to Drive with Death Wobble - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 02-17-2015, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Safe to Drive with Death Wobble

Just brought home my first jeep yesterday. 08 Wrangler X. I've had two death wobbles so far. The first I pulled off the road and the second I let the speed drop below 30 mph and it sorted itself out. Waiting on a call back from the dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-17-2015, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Do you FEEL safe driving it?

No... no you don't.

If it's actual death wobble than "no"... it's not safe to keep driving.

Doubtful that the dealer will be willing to adequately address the issue, nor would I trust most dealers to give me that piece of mind ( unless they are extremely [lifted] Jeep friendly and have a good deal of experience with this particular issue).

I would personally feel better reading up on how to track-down and fix the issue myself. You may even be able to get some local Jeep guys on board to help you out with it. Jeep guys are generally VERY helpful and willing ( if not eager) to help fix things.

Good luck.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #3 of 13 Old 02-17-2015, 03:49 PM
Granite Guru

Seriously, don't do it. There is no reason to risk your life to drive a vehicle, If you bought it from a dealer then they should fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 02-17-2015, 03:52 PM
Rock God

post #5 of 13 Old 02-17-2015, 03:53 PM
Rock God

and every time you have it you are wearing/ruining/stressing more parts and brackets.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-17-2015, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

I was luckily on clear dry roads at the time and got it under control. I don't have the skills or tools to tear it apart myself and find the problem. I've done a bit of research, enough to know it's over my head. It is under a warranty, which makes me want to take in to be looked at and see if if they can find the problem. Not a great start to my jeep owning experience.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-17-2015, 04:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Each eposode can take out more parts, even brand new so called "heavy duty" parts.

With your stated level of experience, I would call the dealer. It would probably be cheaper to pay a tow service than the repair bill for even one additional failed part as a result of continued driving.

I'm an ex mechanic and my junk has been on jack stands with the wobbles and has only seen about 400 miles since November.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-17-2015, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Yea... If it's under warranty then take it in... but drive slow or have it towed.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #9 of 13 Old 02-17-2015, 05:26 PM
Granite Guru

The fact that you are asking the question makes me doubt you JK has DW. It is a white knuckle experience that once is usually too much.

It just may be developing because the classic case develops around 45-55 MPH and won't stop until you are almost stopped when the oscillation doesn't have enough energy to keep itself going.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-17-2015, 05:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

When I had death wobble I had to come to an absolute complete stop in the middle of the road and was not able to steer much. If you really experienced death wobble you probably would not be asking this. Either way its not safe, get it figured out before you damage more components and start chasing your tail throwing parts at it.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 13 Old 02-17-2015, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

You may be right. My use of the term is based off a few examples seen on utube and written descriptions. Though it seemed pretty nerve wrecking at the time. I thought I'd blown a tire at first. Driving through Denver rush hour traffic last night was worse all things considered
post #12 of 13 Old 02-17-2015, 06:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

That link above to the Planman death wobble thread is gold though. Make sure to read it and follow it step by step. Wobbles and death wobble can definitely be frustrating to diagnose and fix.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 13 Old 02-21-2015, 12:02 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Experienced death wobble for the 1st time this morning. Ended up being snow packed into my left front wheel.

USMC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode