12"+, rear auto locker, auto trans - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 02-17-2015, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

12"+, rear auto locker, auto trans

seen a bunch of threads on the 2012+ JK with the automatics not being happy with rear auto lockers (i.e. Detroit locker, aussies, etc) causing the abs/traction control to go into limp mode. I have a 13 with the automatic. anybody know if theres been a "fix" for this yet or if theres a software update from Chrysler to get around this? I have access to the factory Witech scanners (mechanic for a living, we also sell Fiats where I work so access to factory programming/diagnostic equipment.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-17-2015, 08:30 AM
Granite Guru

Yep! Just don't put it in. Auto lockers in the rear on a DD is a BAD idea anyways. Much better off with a selectable locker or TruTrac LS in the rear. I had an Aussie in the front of my 4dr for yrs and TruTrac in the rear and didn't ever notice it till I had to flip a hard U-turn once in awhile. Worked out great offroad on 37s.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-17-2015, 08:46 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjeepN View Post
Yep! Just don't put it in. Auto lockers in the rear on a DD is a BAD idea anyways. Much better off with a selectable locker or TruTrac LS in the rear. I had an Aussie in the front of my 4dr for yrs and TruTrac in the rear and didn't ever notice it till I had to flip a hard U-turn once in awhile. Worked out great offroad on 37s.
^this.

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-17-2015, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Auto lockers in the rear on a DD is a BAD idea anyways.
It doesnt really bother me. Ive ran auto lockers (powertrax and loc-rite) in the rear of two previous DD vehicles. You just learn to drive a little differently. Selectable locker is out of the funds question right now. Ive thought about a trutrac or auburn but would really rather have a locker vs lsd. I loved my previous auto lockers
post #5 of 10 Old 02-17-2015, 12:52 PM
Granite Guru

So none of the tuners have solved this problem after 3+ years on the road with this transmission? Must be unsolvable then?

My advice, do not put an auto-locker in until you are damn sure that the transmission isn't going to go into limp mode. I just went through this with a gear change and it is beyond not-fun to have to drive around in third gear, especially if you need to use the freeway.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-17-2015, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Must be unsolvable then?
one would begin to think so. figured just a software change in the ABS and away you go.

Quote:
do not put an auto-locker in until you are damn sure that the transmission isn't going to go into limp mode
I haven't. I just got done swapping in my rubi front axle and regearing to 4.88s. id planned on putting a Detroit locker in the rear until I started seeing all the limp mode threads. worst case Ill wait another year to see if a fix comes out and if not throw a lsd or selectable in it.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-17-2015, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Anybody know/think that if you tied the front and rear wheel speed sensors into each other, if it would be a possible way to bypass this? That would negate any issues with the vehicle not seeing the right road speed as the rear wheel speed would be reading off the front sensor input. Obviously ABS would be effective but im brain storming here

Last edited by ledzep_06; 02-19-2015 at 07:18 AM.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-19-2015, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

crickets
post #9 of 10 Old 02-28-2016, 09:21 AM
Wheeler

Luckily this is only an auto transmission problem, (so I have heard and hope)
post #10 of 10 Old 02-28-2016, 03:06 PM
Rock God

Garage

When you get into tuning these new automatic transmissions you open a can of worms. The OEM makes them now with such tight tolerances using so many sensors and tables used that most aftermarket tuners do not want to mess with them.

People have talked about tying in the rear sensors to get the signal from the front but I have not heard of anyone having any luck with it working out right.

I know of some shops that can tune the transmission ECU so you can run an automatic locker in the rear but it will cost $400 +dyno time. At that point the cost of an inexpensive auto locker is not going to cost as much as a select-able locker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode