JK oil leak - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 02-16-2015, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

JK oil leak

Bought my JKUR new in 07, was a an 08 model. Somewhere around 80 grand, it starts leaking oil pretty bad. Cleaned it all up, and it appears to be coming from in between the rear of the motor and tranny. Any one have any experience with this ? Think my life time warranty will cover it ? Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-16-2015, 06:19 PM
Rock God

My '08 had oil dripping from the joint between the engine and the bell housing.
Turned out it was leaking through the porous timing chain cover, and migrating to the back of the engine over the block flange at the top of the oil pan. The porous cover casting was an issue back then. It took a very close inspection on my part to determine the source. The dealer wanted to change the rear main seal when they first looked at it.

Your warranty will cover whatever is causing the leak.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #3 of 7 Old 02-16-2015, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for that. I really never like bringing it to any dealer, I seem to always get second rate work for first rate money. Chrysler, it's the reason I got the warranty. Well, when the other Jeeps out of the shop, I'll bring this one in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-16-2015, 09:45 PM
Granite Guru

It's not just Chrysler. I had an 05 Pontiac GTO that started leaking out of the rear main seal at 40K miles which was covered under warranty.

Anyhow, I would never take a vehicle to a dealer outside of warranty. Always do the work myself if time allows or if not then I always use a local mechanic that I trust.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-18-2015, 05:57 PM
Granite Guru

My '09 Rubi JKU had oil dripping in the same spot as OP. Took it to the only dealship i actually trusted under lifetime power train warranty. They replaced main seal, timing cover seal and valley seal. 2 weeks later leak was worse. Second time in they discovered new rear seal was bad again. Some sharp mechanic put a dial indicator on crank and found .008" play when there should only be .001-2. Bad thrust bearing required new crank and main bearings. Lets just say I know why jeep quit offering the lifetime warranty in '09. Mine's back in the shop for a new front drive shaft, front ring and pinion, front chunk and axles. At 137k miles its starting to self-destruct. Hope your leak doesn't turn out like mine.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-18-2015, 06:11 PM
pie
Wheeler

I have just a bit over 2k on mine and when I was under it today I noticed the same. Trip to the dealer as soon as life allows.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-31-2015, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Brought it in, fixed it under warranty, oil leak gone,$ 100 co- pay on my L.T.W. What they didn't fix was my non starting issue, and my lack of getting fuel into my gas tank. They said they only experienced the non starting issue one time. I asked them how many more times do they need to see it not start to see I wasn't full of B.S. ,and what they would learn from it not starting a second time.I didn't get any answers to these questions for some reason. They also replaced the filler neck of the gas tank, that contains the check ball. I left the dealer and got gas. First, I had to pull the handle on the gas pump 15 times to fill it up, more of a problem then I had before. Then I get in the Jeep, and it won't start ! I can tell you that I performed this way at work , I'd be fired ! But, for a dealer, one out of three ain't bad ! LOL ! BTW, the oil leak was what they called the upper oil pan gasket. I don't think I have one of those on the SBC I have in the other Jeep !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode