Steering Box leak....fix or replace? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 02-16-2015, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

Steering Box leak....fix or replace?

My son has a 08 Unlimited with a 4" lift and 35" rubber. The steering box started leaking last summer and is now leaking a lot. His high school shop will rebuild it as a class project, but I cannot find a rebuild kit. Is a kit available for an 08? If so, where?

Also is it worth rebuilding or should we just replace it? Is there a better box than the stock Mopar? Would an AGR last longer?

I assume the 35" tires contribute to the failure of the steering box.

thx in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-16-2015, 07:16 AM
Granite Guru

on an 08 he should have a Delphi box(rusty box with Delphi on the bottom vs. the newer all black chinese boxes). Fully rebuildable.

Look at PSC for rebuild kits(I know they sell new sector shafts) or call the guys at West Texas OffRoad and I bet they will sell you a rebuild kit.

I would put a sector shaft brace in when you put the box back in. The problem with the boxes is sector shaft deflection from trying to turn big tires, the deflection then tears up the seals and eventually the bearings and can also bend and crack the actual sector shaft. A brace holds the sector shaft on a second set of bearings outside the box turning it into double shear. $100 will get you a good sector shaft brace, but you MAY run into track bar clearance issues.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-16-2015, 09:49 AM
Jeepineer

Garage

WTO offers a kit in the $45 to $50 price range. All the needed seals and bearings.

-Mike
2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, 2" lift, cage, hydro, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-16-2015, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

It's definitely a Delphi box. Part # 26123260. I'm in Canada and will try to find a rebuild kit north of the border. We get screwed on shipping and brokerage by UPS, FEDEX.

Thx for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode