Help please. Dash lights acting up. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 02-14-2015, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Help please. Dash lights acting up.

So I have asked around an no one has supplied any kind of help I hope someone here can offer some insight.

2012 JKU Auto

At start up the Down hill assist flashes, ABs and traction control light are on. All of this started after I hooked up some windshield LED lights to my sPOD which im sure is unrelated. So I have researched this to no end and seems the common problem is ABS sensors so I replaced all 4. Cheaper than paying the dealer $200 just to read the code. Well that did not help so I made a friend and had the codes read and it came back to all 4 ABS sensors, Low voltage and Steering angle indicator aka Clock spring. They said the clock spring was the likely cause at this time the lights were on and stayed on for days. So I ordered a new clock spring and the day it got delivered the lights went out.

Now when I start the Jeep the lights may or may not come on, usually if they do come on they go out after driving for a little bit but tend to come back on randomly. I can feel the brakes kicking while normally driving on the high way and that is when the lights come back on.

So:
Alignment is perfect.
Used the AEV procal to check steering wheel alignment it is and has been perfect.
Temps are well below freezing, I have not done any wheeling and have not been in water.

Anyone have any suggestion? I can go ahead an install the new clock spring that is easy but if they wont fix the problem I don't want to just because the old sensor is no good once removed.

Old vs New ABS sensors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-14-2015, 10:55 AM
Rock God

If you had codes for all 4 abs sensors then I would guess that you have some electrical issues. You say you know that the spod is not the problem but it is the only thing that has changed. Take it off, remove the battery cables for 30 minutes (you only have to do the neg but i usually just do both), reconnect the battery, see if the codes are on. Drive it a bit (with some turns) and watch for the codes. Hope you did not fry anything when you hooked up the spod.

<edit> I had the same hill start, abs, esp lights when I had a bad wheel speed sensor. The chances of all 4 going out at the same time are pretty dang slim. Always start with what changed. How did you wire up the spod exactly?
</edit>

I have jeeps. I do shit to them.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-14-2015, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

just like the instructions say, mounted it ran positive to the positive and negative to negative. I am a little OCD on neatness and cleanliness, auto repair is as much cosmetic as it is mechanical. Also I said sPOD I meant the rugged ridge A-Pillar But basic wiring, lights to a relay, ignition hot to a switch, switch to relay and a power wire from the battery to the relay. OEM wiring has not been cut or hacked at any point. I bought the Jeep new so no one else has messed around in it. I did install the sPOD unit bit it had been in for a week or so I was wiring up the R/R Pilar when the lights came on.

I checked out all the wiring going to the connectors for ABS sensors and it all looked great. I have to get this fixed they don't properly plow the roads on base and ice and snow with no ABS/traction control sucks.

but thanks for the reply, I agree with what you said about all 4 sensors going at once that is next to impossible. Alternator has been checked it is charging fine so the low voltage thing made me wonder. The MOPAR clock spring cost me $168 bucks delivered and is easy to install I hate to waste a part though if this is not the problem.

Last edited by HAFICON; 02-14-2015 at 11:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-14-2015, 11:43 AM
Granite Guru

Make sure your battery connection is nice and tight. And if possible, mount all accessories to the separate bolt on the battery and not the main tie down one. Lots of people, including me, had lights on on the dash because of a loose battery terminal.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-14-2015, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I did connections are tight. I have a dual battery and everything runs off my aux battery I just parallel them when I am running stuff.

Thanks for the suggestion before I install this bed sensor I am going to pull the ABS sensor connections and check them all out. Anything around the ABS distribution block that has been known to go bad?
post #6 of 8 Old 02-14-2015, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Anyone know if the interior lights are grounded locally at the housing? With the negative battery cable removed postive still connected the interior lights still come on. Trying to find out if I have a short or if they are grounded at the housing. I am running LED bulbs in the interior sockets.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-17-2015, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Well replaced the clock spring and lights are still on... Can't say I did not expect that. Back to have the code rear again and let them tell me what I already know.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-18-2015, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Well just got back form the dealer they did a lot of testing and found a chaffed wire forward of the left rear ABS sensor. Wire is in the harness and still had the OEM conduit on it but guess something brushed against it (possibly me changing exhaust system) and that allowed salt and sand from the roads in and bad news from there...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode