New jeep, new lift questions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 02-13-2015, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

New jeep, new lift questions

I purchased a 2014 JK unlimited and right now it is completely stock. I have been saving money during my deployment so that I can make a complete overhaul once I return. I'm having trouble w what I want vs. price/need. I have roughly 7k to put into my jeep. Mwhat I want to do is a 4" lift, 37" M/T, tube fenders, and front and rear bumper. there's a kayak carrier I'm ready getting and that's 1400$. With that concept, what are the things I would need to ensure a better ride and maintain power? I use my jeep for a daily driver and about every weekend for hunting/fishing/camping but nothing crazy. I'll add a steering stabilizer, do I just upgrade my gears to 4.88? Or is there a whole lot of other things I'll need as well? My other option is to just go w a 2.5" lift and 35" tires, that way I won't have to worry as much about everything else. Can anyone help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-13-2015, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Another question.
To put 37" tires what is the lowest lift I could use. I would like to maintain a lower profile but have the ground clearance. If I go w flat tube fenders could I go w a 2.5"-3" lift and add spacers and be fine?
post #3 of 5 Old 02-14-2015, 04:45 PM
Granite Guru

$7K isn't a lot of money for a well designed balanced JK with 37s. Sure you can use a modest lift and flat fenders but by stuffing oversize tires and just getting enough clearance you are not getting the full benefit of the large tires. Unless all you want is axle ground clearance. The need room to work (articulation). Also, 37s have a noticeable impact on daily driving so consider that.

For that budget you can get a high quality lift proportional to 35" tires and it will be a lot more suitable as a DD. Big Jeeps with 37-42" tires are a lot of fun off road specially with 4-6" lifts but you have to be willing to pay for the parts to do it right and accept the trade off-on the pavement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-14-2015, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

That makes alot of sense, I knew that in order to go big I would have to do alot more under the frame work to make it a more suitable driver. I just did not know to what extent. I will probably just go with the 35s since it is a daily driver. I have been going back and forth about it and I know the right answer, but the dream of having a fully loaded rock crawler is hard to not want. The budget for me isnt alot, but thats my wifes budget* Thanks for the advice
post #5 of 5 Old 02-17-2015, 07:29 PM
Granite Guru

You can do a lot of crawling with 35s. I know bigger is usually better on rocks but for $7k you get a great setup with 35s that will also perform well on the road. You'll be smiling on the rocks and on the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode