JKU 3.8L w/auto transmission...stories - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 02-11-2015, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

JKU 3.8L w/auto transmission...stories

We have an 08 JKU Rubi with the automatic that is cresting 115k miles, and we are just curious what the average life expectancy is for them. Chrysler (in particular Dodge 2nd Generation Ram Trucks) arent exactly known for the best transmissions so I was looking for any other high mileage JK owners out there to give some feedback!

Anyone have any issues? Any 200k+ JK automatics still shifting and running strong out there?

We keep her well maintained and fluid happy so we are hopeful she clocks 250k+ without an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 02-11-2015, 08:24 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08rubinon View Post
We have an 08 JKU Rubi with the automatic that is cresting 115k miles, and we are just curious what the average life expectancy is for them. Chrysler (in particular Dodge 2nd Generation Ram Trucks) arent exactly known for the best transmissions so I was looking for any other high mileage JK owners out there to give some feedback!

Anyone have any issues? Any 200k+ JK automatics still shifting and running strong out there?

We keep her well maintained and fluid happy so we are hopeful she clocks 250k+ without an issue.
2007 JK X, 78,xxxmiles
Having some O/D issues lately like the computer cant make up its bloody mind on a flat, windless road in the mornings lol

I know im not in the high mileage range or even normal range for my year. Just thought id chip in my pennys

"Gremlin"
Nothing in my jeep is sacred, except my jelly beans and apple liquorice. Don't touch those...
post #3 of 26 Old 02-11-2015, 10:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

my 42rle got rebuilt at 95K miles.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 02-11-2015, 10:45 AM
Granite Guru

I'm at 98k. Still working fine.
Hope to get 150k out of it? Doubtful the motor will hold up that long
post #5 of 26 Old 02-11-2015, 10:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krunchytaco View Post
I'm at 98k. Still working fine.
Hope to get 150k out of it? Doubtful the motor will hold up that long
Motor will last longer than the trans will. But you never know, take care of it, keep the heat down.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 26 Old 02-11-2015, 11:00 AM
Granite Guru

123k miles. Motor-replaced water pump, rear main seal. Currently, no problems with tranny. Pray every time I turn the key and often while driving.
post #7 of 26 Old 02-11-2015, 11:21 AM
Wheeler

08 rubi jku

lifetime factory warranty the drive train for original owners
post #8 of 26 Old 02-11-2015, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj'sjeep View Post
lifetime factory warranty the drive train for original owners
good to know there!
post #9 of 26 Old 02-11-2015, 11:28 AM
Rock God

Three things to help transmission last. Be aware of temp, increase cooling capacity, reduce drive train strain.

To be aware of temp you need a gauge. It doesn't matter what you have as long as you have something and able to identify when things are too hot. There are several options to get that done. I use superchips trail dash. Plug in and go.

Cooling is very important obviously. Most factory setups are inadequately cooled. The 3.8l jku setup is very bad. 1/3 of a/c condenser is used for transmission cooling. You could run another cooler inline with it which does help. Several options out there. I had a problem with the a/c condenser leaking trans fluid so I put 2 transcoolers that are big enough to cover the entire grill area. I tried cover ing 2/3 only and it was not enough. Full coverage works for me. Still can get hot but it is controlled. Usually under 175f and can rise as high as 200f in extreme offroad conditions. On road summer the highway temp is 130f approx. and city high is 160f.

Gearing is also key to getting more life. It will reduce chances of heat build up and drivetrain strain. Torque converter can lockup sooner which is a big producer of heat.

I have currently 130k km's which is about 80k miles

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

post #10 of 26 Old 02-11-2015, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

For those interested here is the Lifetime Warranty Supplement info directly from Chrysler. Pay attention to section G.

LIFETIME POWERTRAIN LIMITED WARRANTY
2006 Model Year Vehicles and 2007 Model Year Vehicles and 2008 Model Year Vehicles Sold and Delivered On or After July 26, 2007

Supplement to the 2006 and the 2007 and the 2008 Model Year
Warranty Information Books

At the expiration of the 3 year/36,000 mile Basic Limited Warranty, DaimlerChrysler Motors Company LLC extends to the original purchaser or retail lessee of each 2006 model year, 2007 model year and 2008 model year Chrysler, Dodge, or Jeep vehicle sold and delivered on or after July 26, 2007 limited powertrain warranty for the lifetime of that original purchaser or retail lessee.At the expiration of the 3 year/36,000 mile Basic Limited Warranty, DaimlerChrysler Motors Company LLC extends to the original purchaser or retail lessee of each 2006 model year, 2007 model year and 2008 model year Chrysler, Dodge, or Jeep vehicle sold and delivered on or after July 26, 2007 limited powertrain warranty for the lifetime of that original purchaser or retail lessee.At the expiration of the 3 year/36,000 mile Basic Limited Warranty, DaimlerChrysler Motors Company LLC extends to the original purchaser or retail lessee ofeach 2006 model year, 2007 model year and 2008 model year Chrysler, Dodge, or Jeep vehicle sold and delivered on or after July 26, 2007 limited powertrainwarranty for the lifetime of that original purchaser or retail lessee.

At the expiration of the 3 year/36,000 mile Basic Limited Warranty, DaimlerChrysler Motors Company LLC extends to the original purchaser or retail lessee of each 2006 model year, 2007 model year and 2008 model year Chrysler, Dodge, or Jeep vehicle sold and delivered on or after July 26, 2007 limited powertrain warranty for the lifetime of that original purchaser or retail lessee.At the expiration of the 3 year/36,000 mile Basic Limited Warranty, DaimlerChrysler Motors Company LLC extends to the original purchaser or retail lessee ofeach 2006 model year, 2007 model year and 2008 model year Chrysler, Dodge, or Jeep vehicle sold and delivered on or after July 26, 2007 limited powertrainwarranty for the lifetime of that original purchaser or retail lessee.

LIFETIME POWERTRAIN LIMITED WARRANTY
A. Who is Covered?
You are covered by the Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty if you are the first registered owner or lessee for use of the vehicle. Subsequent owners or
lessees, even if they are within the same family or business, are not covered. Successor business entities or persons to whom the vehicle is transferred by
operation of law are also not covered.At the expiration of the 3 year/36,000 mile Basic Limited Warranty, DaimlerChrysler Motors Company LLC extends to the original purchaser or retail lessee ofeach 2006 model year, 2007 model year and 2008 model year Chrysler, Dodge, or Jeep vehicle sold and delivered on or after July 26, 2007 limited powertrainwarranty for the lifetime of that original purchaser or retail lessee.You are covered by the Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty if you are the first registered owner or lessee for use of the vehicle. Subsequent owners orlessees, even if they are within the same family or business, are not covered. Successor business entities or persons to whom the vehicle is transferred byoperation of law are also not covered.

B. What’s Covered
The Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair a powertrain component listed in section E below that is defective in workmanship and materials. There is no coverage for towing in the event of disablement.

C. When It Begins
The Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty begins at the end of the Basic Limited Warranty.

D. Excluded Vehicles
SRT vehicles, Sprinter vehicles, diesel equipped vehicles, all Ram Cab/Chassis vehicles, rental vehicles and government vehicles are not covered. Vehicles
used as a police vehicle, taxi, limousine, postal delivery vehicle, or ambulance are not covered by the Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty.

E. Parts Covered
The Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty covers these parts and components of your vehicle’s powertrain supplied by DaimlerChrysler Motors Company LLC:

Gasoline Engine:
cylinder block and all internal parts; cylinder head assemblies; timing case, timing chain, timing belt, gears and sprockets; vibration damper; oil pump; water pump and housing; intake and exhaust manifolds; flywheel with starter ring gear; core plugs; valve covers; oil pan; turbocharger housing and internal parts; turbocharger wastegate actuator; supercharger; serpentine belt tensioner; seals and gaskets for listed components only.

Transmission:
transmission case and all internal parts; torque converter; drive/flex plate; transmission range switch; transmission control module; bell housing; oil pan; seals and gaskets for listed components only. NOTE: MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH PARTS ARE NOT COVERED AT ANY TIME.

Front Wheel Drive:
transaxle case and all internal parts; axle shaft assemblies; constant velocity joints and boots; differential cover; oil pan; transaxle speed sensors; transaxle solenoid assembly; PRNDL position switch; transaxle electronic controller; torque converter; seals and gaskets for listed components only. NOTE: MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH PARTS ARE NOT COVERED AT ANY TIME.

All Wheel Drive (AWD):
power transfer unit and all internal parts; viscous coupler; axle housing and all internal parts; constant velocity joints and boots; driveshaft and axle shaft assemblies; differential carrier assembly and all internal parts; output ball bearing; output flange; end cover; overrunning clutch; vacuum motor; torque tube; pinion spacer and shim, seals and gaskets for listed components only.

Rear Wheel Drive:
rear axle housing and all internal parts; axle shafts; axle shaft bearings; drive shaft assemblies; drive shaft center bearings; universal joints and yokes; seals and gaskets for listed components only.

Four-Wheel Drive (4X4):
transfer case and all internal parts; transfer case control module and shift mode motor assembly; axle housing and all internal parts; axle shafts; axle shaft bearings; drive shafts assemblies (front and rear); drive shaft center bearings; universal joints and yokes; disconnect housing assembly; seals and gaskets for the listed components only.

F. When Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty Does Not Apply
You are not covered by the Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty if you are a second or subsequent owner of the vehicle.

G. Inspections
In order to maintain the Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty, the person or entity covered by this Powertrain Limited Warranty must have a powertrain
inspection performed by an authorized Chrysler, Dodge, or Jeep dealer once every 5 years. This inspection will be performed at no charge. The inspection
must be made within sixty (60) days of each 5 year anniversary of the in-service date of the vehicle. You must have the inspection performed to continue
this coverage.

H. Other Provisions of This Powertrain Limited Warranty
All other terms of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty including the Section 1 (Your Rights Under These Limited Warranties) and Section 3 (What’s Not
Covered) apply to this Powertrain Limited Warranty.

This document supplements the warranties and conditions described in the vehicle’s Warranty Information book.

No other coverages are altered or extended based on this supplement.
post #11 of 26 Old 02-11-2015, 01:15 PM
Granite Guru

140,500 on my 09... no issues yet

<fingers crossed>

post #12 of 26 Old 02-11-2015, 09:38 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

61,000 miles on my '07 JKUR. has an aftermarket cooler. got a "hot oil" warning once after the reflash to add that in 2010. Had a cooler ever since. works perfectly.

have a diablosport trinity tuner that improved the transmission habits.

as stated. if you can keep the temps down and water out... it should last.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
post #13 of 26 Old 02-12-2015, 05:48 PM
Wheeler

I lost reverse with no warning at 83,000. service dpt said the reverse/first gear clutches disintegrated. full trans replacement under lifetime warranty.
post #14 of 26 Old 02-14-2015, 03:45 PM
Rock God

I have the craptastic NSG370 so I can't attest to the 42rle dependability but on a good(hopeful) note, my grandmother has a caravan with the 3.8 in it and she has almost 300,000 miles on it with no rebuild. Granted she does have the consumption(pretty sure her consumption started around 60,000 if I remember right).

2008 Jeep JK Unlimited Rescue Green NSG370
RK 3.5 X Factor mid arm
37x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers
PSC BFH trail stinger
PSC narrow fenders

A lot more to come very soon!
post #15 of 26 Old 02-15-2015, 03:08 PM

I use my 3.8 for towing my boat and camping trailer, so it was a "no brainer" to install an after market transmission cooler from new.
I also do all my own servicing and repairs so I can personally monitor the condition of such components
The last time I serviced my 42RLE I detected no noticeable residue and the oil was still good, which is pleasing as there was no need to be concerned about the percentage of oil replaced.
Although I have only completed approximately 80K Km, they have been hard Kms, mostly off road and often in extreme conditions.
Mine is not used as a daily driver.

Warren
post #16 of 26 Old 02-16-2015, 08:06 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

2007 with 95k miles

So far ok. I added a aftermarket cooler at 30k and definitely helped keep temps within range.

The only complaint on my 42rle is that it sometimes gets stuck in 2nd gear right when I start up and I cannot shift out of it. I literally have to pull over and turn off/on the jeep to get it to reset. I have not been able to identify if it is a computer or mechanical issue but seems this issue only happens about once a month.
post #17 of 26 Old 10-16-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08rubinon View Post

3rd tranmission for my 2010 JKU Rubicon with 55k miles on it.

I am the second owner, first owner must have replaced or rebuilt the original because it had sharpie markings on the torque converter and inside the bell housing.

I am not messing around. I decided to go with ATS Diesel's 42RLE. 5yr., 500k mile warranty.

Adding an aftermarket trans cooler as well.
post #18 of 26 Old 10-18-2015, 10:12 AM
JKO Addict!

One notable thing about the 42RLE trans in the JK is how few failures we read about. The number one thing to do above all else is to add an auxiliary trans cooler. Any quality aftermarket cooler will get the job done. The more expensive Mopar trans cooler kit looks and connects as if it was OEM. Be sure to change your trans fluid and filter regularly and you should get many miles out of it.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #19 of 26 Old 10-18-2015, 11:41 AM
Rock God

Garage

Chipping back in. 89,397 miles; water pump pissing down the front and a blown lower intake gasket

"Gremlin"
Nothing in my jeep is sacred, except my jelly beans and apple liquorice. Don't touch those...
post #20 of 26 Old 10-18-2015, 03:51 PM
Granite Guru

I've got a 2010 with the 42RLE with about 97k on it. Recently added a tranny cooler which has helped it run cooler by a lot. I just got back from Moab today and pulled a tent trailer ran about 70 mph all the way only broke 200 degrees a couple times on some of the long hills.
In the past making the same trip with out a trailer I've had the tranny temp up in the 230 degree range.
I have a bullydog tunner.... which is another story, but it does the job.

I have a freind on here that has a 2007 and had his tranny go out, I think around 95k. He recently did a 6.2L LS motor & tranny swap. If I remember correctly that was done around 140k. His 3.8L never burned a drop of oil too.

opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one and some stink
post #21 of 26 Old 10-20-2015, 04:59 PM
Rock God

110k miles, 35s on for about 65k miles. Trans will shift hard occasionally, no other problems. Got the hot trans oil warning a couple times in the first 50k miles, got the trans flushed around 55k and cooler installed after that.

3.8L is burning over 1 qt per 1k miles, started around 55k. Cracked exhaust manifold replaced around 70k, have had a cold start rattle since then. Pretty sure it's the cats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
First, take a 50/50 water/alcohol solution and douche all the sand out of your vagina. Seriously, you gotta get that nozzle ALL the way to the cervix since it sounds as though your vajayjay is completely blocked with a silica compound.
post #22 of 26 Old 10-22-2015, 10:05 AM
Rock God

218,000 KLM on my 08 unlimited. I have a Superchips and transmission has had a cooler since new and has had a flush once. Engine is still solid, uses 1/2 qrt every 10,000KLM. I pull a trailer with hay once every 2 weeks..
Been running 35s all its life and 37s since last November, just did a gear swap to 5.38 last month..

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, Mopar D44HD/J8, OX Locker, RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 7069, AEV Premium front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp winch.
post #23 of 26 Old 10-23-2015, 06:28 AM
Granite Guru

My motor went at 90k, spun rod bearing

2007 JKU AKA CHEEP HEEP. 2.5 rk tripple rates, bilstein long travels, Currie arms,antirock, 35 mtr's, artec truss, redneck ram, ruff stuff tie rod, poly drag link, ten factory front/rear shafts, aussie locker, savvy front bumper, bfh rear
post #24 of 26 Old 10-23-2015, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCRWLR View Post
3rd tranmission for my 2010 JKU Rubicon with 55k miles on it.

I am the second owner, first owner must have replaced or rebuilt the original because it had sharpie markings on the torque converter and inside the bell housing.

I am not messing around. I decided to go with ATS Diesel's 42RLE. 5yr., 500k mile warranty.

Adding an aftermarket trans cooler as well.

^X2 on the ATS Diesel's 42RLE , if/when the time should arrive.....

post #25 of 26 Old 10-29-2015, 09:04 PM
Granite Guru

I have aftermarket trans cooler and temp gauge reading temp as oil heads back into pan. I run 35"s, geared at 5.13 and tow a 3,700 lbs pop up trailer with trailer brakes. Just turned 125,000 and the only problem I have is I'm on my second heater core. ? Change synthetic engine oil every 5,000miles and tranny oil gets siphoned about 4 qrts then replaced with fresh oil 2 weeks in a row. Changed the tranny filter at 80,000miles. I LOVE my jeep!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode