2wd jk Conversion to 4wd HELP - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 02-06-2015, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

2wd jk Conversion to 4wd HELP

Hi

I Have a 07 jeep wrangler unlimited sahara 2wd that I want to convert to 4wd I find it way more cheaper than investing in another jeep thats 4wd and costs alot more and staring payments on it again, since i already modded somewhat of my jeep. Im looking for some suggestions on what parts to get like names of parts. I plan on installing everything myself. Budget is up to 6-8k on parts.
P.s: im in SoCal if anyones from here and knows anyone or any place thats cheap and/or reliable that would be awesome.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-06-2015, 11:17 PM
Granite Guru

It's only going to be cheaper if you do the conversion yourself.

What type of a build are you considering? The cheapest parts are usually take-offs from another owner's build. You can find an axle that way but the transfer case is another matter. There are several good threads on this subject:

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9488

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9872
post #3 of 14 Old 02-06-2015, 11:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Doing the swap yourself is really straight forward and rather simple once you have everything you need. If you have any questions on parts talk to Jaker, he is in socal as well.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 02-06-2015, 11:43 PM
Rock God

Usually it is cheaper to builds a one ton jeep with a jeep like this to scrap all drive train and suspension if your planning to replace everything anyway.

If your going to take parts off a rubicon to put onto this 2wd jeep it is far simpler and easier to just go buy a rubicon and would be approx similar cost especially if you value your time.

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-07-2015, 06:06 AM
Granite Guru

Do it

IMHO, all the JK two wheel drive abominations should be converted to four wheel drive...
post #6 of 14 Old 02-07-2015, 08:38 AM
Granite Guru

Always try searching first. If you don't find anything then post. In addition to what spinlock posted, here's another one:

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61287

Search is your friend.

2011 Sahara Tan Rubicon 6 Speed
TR HD17 Beadlocks, BFGoodrich A/T KO2 34x10.50R17, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, and more to come...
post #7 of 14 Old 02-07-2015, 11:28 AM
Granite Guru

I did the swap on my jk it was interesting and fun...

Is your jk a auto or manual??

OIF
post #8 of 14 Old 02-07-2015, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys yeah my jeep is auto... Its the axles that im trying search for i tried looking up for a couple but cant tell if it fits my jeep or not. Does it matter if its a different than (rubicon, X,unlimited) since mines unlimite sahara?
post #9 of 14 Old 02-07-2015, 01:48 PM
Granite Guru

Any factory axles will work. (Sport or rubi or Sahara) I did this with my 2007 unlimited

2014 Billet Silver 2-Door Sport on 37's with a bunch of other expensive chit
Cutts Crew
post #10 of 14 Old 02-07-2015, 02:16 PM
Granite Guru

To be quite honest here, the type of questions you are asking are not the questions one would be asking if they new exactly what they are doing. Not to say, you couldn't learn, or do the job. It's just that sometimes people have big dreams that can never be fulfilled. Your Jeep may end up in parts on the garage floor, and it might just get sold that way.Good luck, I think you should consider a trade in. Doing the conversion you are talking about would be an easy, no brainer for some one who does this kind of work.
post #11 of 14 Old 02-07-2015, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Yea but thats the fun of it learning things and about your jeep one who is lazy would do the trade in and not lift a finger i just need advice on things
post #12 of 14 Old 02-08-2015, 10:40 AM
Granite Guru

Alright, nothing wrong in learning and you seem to really want this. I have seen every part you need on the web for sale. I would first start with a realistic goal,what is it exactly you want to end up with . Then I would start gathering parts. I'm doing that right now on one of my builds. I have gotten 2 ARB lockers for my one ton axles for about $1000 dollars less then buying them from a store, I found them on Ebay, and Amazon.They are brand new.I am gathering parts for my 4 to 1 low range, and that's about all I need for now, the rest of my build is done already. How many 4 wheel web sites do you visit ? There are many of them, all have a for sale section. Let us know your plan so we can help, good luck.
post #13 of 14 Old 02-10-2015, 08:04 PM
JKO Addict!

I am helping a guy finish his conversion next weekend , you are welcome to come by and help

On 2/21/2015
post #14 of 14 Old 02-10-2015, 08:19 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker View Post
I am helping a guy finish his conversion next weekend , you are welcome to come by and help

On 2/21/2015
if you can, take him up on his offer.

the threads listed are a good source. using stock parts, everything you need will bolt right in. axle, transmission, transfercase and driveshaft are the big parts. the t-case shifter and cable are next. if you leave the electronics alone, the selection of 4wd is manual. the only thing you may need to do is to wire in a ESP kill switch.

i converted a '98 ZJ from 2wd to 4wd. similar process... but i had a lot of mix and match parts. all told, i converted mine for right at $1100. and that was including the transmission. at the time, i did the conversion for less than the average price difference on the market between a 2wd and 2wd ZJ.

you can do it in stages and it still be a driver.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode