Towing the JK? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 02-04-2015, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Towing the JK?

So the wife and I just purchased a toy to tow the JK. Trying to figure out the best setup for tow points and still keep the same functionality as the current bumper. I've currently got a Rugged Ridge XHD with a recessed winch/fog lights, and D-shackles. http://www.ruggedridge.com/jeep-acce...-11540-10.html

After surfing JKO and the rest of the web, I've come up with these options.

- Roadmaster makes tow points that replace the D-shackle mounts on the RR and attach to the frame, but I would loose the D-shackles as I don't think the Roadmaster tow points allow for the insertion/use of the D-shackles. http://www.hitchsource.com/roadmaste...r-p-33018.html

- Thought about an LOD bumper that has the same features as the RR and having tow points welded on, as other have done. But I came across a comment from LOD that that they well not weld on tow points, but you can add them aftermarket. Think I would rather have the manufacture add the tow points.

- Currie Tow mounting plate. Anyone using this with a RR bumper? How much approach do you loose? http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...t.aspx?id=2791

- Rock Hard had front bumpers that you can add tow points to. I'm kind of leaning in this direction, but hate to loose the recessed winch.

Anyone use any of the above to tow your JK? Any other recommendations? Not looking to do any welding or taking it to welder.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Last edited by RUCKDOG; 02-04-2015 at 04:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-04-2015, 05:09 PM
Granite Guru

Don't not weld tow points , I helped an old couple retrieve their TJ out of a ditch after the bolt on tow rigging failed , it failed at the bolts on the horns of the frame . Wasn't pretty , Damaged the Jeep and the Motorhome both. I'm really not that experienced with flat-towing a Jeep . I put mine on a trailer , thats the only experience I have. Thats just not something after the carnage I saw that I would consider .
post #3 of 5 Old 02-04-2015, 05:51 PM
Granite Guru

My dad put a Blue Ox kit on his 13 JKU. Towed 30k+ miles with it including 15k+ up and back on the ALCAN and all through Alaska. No complaints. He sold his coach and when we tried to remove the Blue Ox adapter to sell it, there was no way to get it off due to bolt access(I am guessing most of the bolt on kits have the same problem), so he just left it alone since its pretty unobtrusive.

As far as the brakes, I think he used a Brake Buddy, but not sure, and he used the Jeep wiring kit for the tail lights(its a harness that plugs in under the hood somewhere and gives you a 7 pin(I think it was) adapter for the front to connect to your coach. The Brake Buddy was all wireless. Again 30k+ miles of safe towing.

I think Poison Spyder says you can flat tow with their bumpers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-08-2015, 12:02 PM

I have a Smittybilt winch bumper and they have a tow bar that connects to the d-ring mounts. It's not the easiest to hookup, but it really isn't all that bad.

2008 JKU Sahara
3" lift, 33" BF Goodrich All Terrain KO, Smittybilt XRC MOD Front bumper, Cobra 75
post #5 of 5 Old 02-09-2015, 09:42 PM
Wheeler

I have the Roadmaster brackets on my '08. The brackets fit a stock bumper or the Mopar off road or the Warn, maybe some more now. I've had them on the JK since late'08. I have towed it thousands of miles with a Ready Brute tow bar and a set of magnetic tow lights that plug into the motorhome trailer harness. I also made "D" ring mounts out of 1 1/2" solid square stock that slide into the Roadmaster brackets Just in case I need them. The Mopar/Jeep bumper retained the factory recovery hooks. I'm pleased with the setup because it has given me no problems in 6 1/2 years of use.
Mark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode