Limp Mode- What's causing it? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 02-04-2015, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Limp Mode- What's causing it?

Have had my Jeep go into limp mode 2 times in the last 3 hours just in normal driving. Both times I had either slowed down to make a turn or stopped completely. 2012 JKUR. No suspension mods. 4.10 gears. Of course the warranty just ran out.... Does going into limp mode create a code to check?

Any help appreciated.

'12 White JKUR

Rugged Ridge Modular XD bumper w/9500 winch
2 1/2 inch Mopar Lift
35" Pitbull tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-05-2015, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

No one knows anything about this? That can't be a good sign...

'12 White JKUR

2 1/2 inch Mopar Lift
35" Pitbull tires
post #3 of 15 Old 02-05-2015, 06:27 AM
Wheeler

So when this happens there are no MIL light that comes on dash ?might check fuse box make sure all fuses are seated good. Also ground wires. 12's had a host of probs that could cause that ESP with Auto tran's. Head going bad, oil pressure sensor,tran's module. Really hard to say unless it throws a code...

13 JKU, 21/2" AEV Lift | 35" Duratracs, KMC Wheels | ARB Locker, Rear/Trutrac FR | AEV / Expedition One Bumpers | Warn Winch | Currie Adj Control Arms |Synergy TieRod,Draglink | TrailReady Limiting Straps | EVO Sliders | Rockhard/ AEV Skids | Dynatrac Diff Covers | G2- 4:56 Gears, Chromoly Axle Shafts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 02-05-2015, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

No lights coming on. Was planning to try to have someone pull codes today though. Thanks.

'12 White JKUR

2 1/2 inch Mopar Lift
35" Pitbull tires
post #5 of 15 Old 02-05-2015, 07:41 AM
Rock God

Might want to have your battery checked. Simple things first.
post #6 of 15 Old 02-05-2015, 09:23 AM
Rock God

Did you do the key trick to see if any codes were retrievable? Some of the codes require a scan tool (like wheel speed sensors, for example) to see. Not all scan tools will pull all the Chrysler codes either.

I have jeeps. I do shit to them.
post #7 of 15 Old 02-05-2015, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgall View Post
Did you do the key trick to see if any codes were retrievable? Some of the codes require a scan tool (like wheel speed sensors, for example) to see. Not all scan tools will pull all the Chrysler codes either.
I don't know what the key trick is. Edumacate me?

Not sure if I will be able to work on it myself. I used to do everything on my CJ, but new engines scare the shit out of me...

'12 White JKUR

2 1/2 inch Mopar Lift
35" Pitbull tires
post #8 of 15 Old 02-06-2015, 08:43 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarScramb View Post
I don't know what the key trick is. Edumacate me?

Not sure if I will be able to work on it myself. I used to do everything on my CJ, but new engines scare the shit out of me...
What's so scary about the new engines? More wires are there for sure, lots of computer controlled stuff too...but that's the problem...the Jeep is going into Limp mode is not an Engine problem to solve. It is a figure out why the computer is putting it into limp mode problem and then maybe you have an Engine problem to solve.

It's a 2012 that is mostly stock, what about taking it to the dealer and leveraging that warranty?
post #9 of 15 Old 02-07-2015, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Warranty expired last month. I'm starting to think limp mode may be the wrong way to describe it. It seems to be sticking in other gears now too. Has happened 2 more times now and one of them was not in first gear. Fluid level is still good. Will have the battery checked tomorrow, but haven't had any sign of it going bad.

'12 White JKUR

2 1/2 inch Mopar Lift
35" Pitbull tires
post #10 of 15 Old 01-25-2016, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Bumping this older thread to post the solution.

This intermittent problem started happening more and more until it was a few times a week. Finally broke down and called the dealership to ask if there's any way to get covered under expired warranty since I have many documented complaints about it before expiration. That's when I heard the most beautiful words ever... "Powertrain warranty". I didn't know it was separate.

Bottom line, needed a new solenoid in the tranny. I'm a little pissed that they didn't figure this out years ago, but still happy it didn't cost me anything but more of my time.

'12 White JKUR

2 1/2 inch Mopar Lift
35" Pitbull tires
post #11 of 15 Old 01-25-2016, 11:54 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Bumping this older thread to post the solution.

This intermittent problem started happening more and more until it was a few times a week. Finally broke down and called the dealership to ask if there's any way to get covered under expired warranty since I have many documented complaints about it before expiration. That's when I heard the most beautiful words ever... "Powertrain warranty". I didn't know it was separate.

Bottom line, needed a new solenoid in the tranny. I'm a little pissed that they didn't figure this out years ago, but still happy it didn't cost me anything but more of my time.
Are you saying that you took this to the dealer previously and they didn't pick this up with a WiTech scan?

Glad to hear you got it fixed!
post #12 of 15 Old 01-25-2016, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostmike View Post
Are you saying that you took this to the dealer previously and they didn't pick this up with a WiTech scan?

Glad to hear you got it fixed!
I reported it at least 3 times in the 36 months of my original warranty. It wasn't giving off codes, I guess. It never had a check engine light until it was doing it a few times in a week.

'12 White JKUR

2 1/2 inch Mopar Lift
35" Pitbull tires
post #13 of 15 Old 01-29-2016, 09:34 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
I reported it at least 3 times in the 36 months of my original warranty. It wasn't giving off codes, I guess. It never had a check engine light until it was doing it a few times in a week.
Sorry to hear. I think a quick scan with the dealers WiTech device would have picked this up. No CEL is needed, the WiTech stores a lot of data.
post #14 of 15 Old 01-29-2016, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostmike View Post
Sorry to hear. I think a quick scan with the dealers WiTech device would have picked this up. No CEL is needed, the WiTech stores a lot of data.
Well, these guys have built a reputation for crappy service, and I guess they are living up to it.

'12 White JKUR

2 1/2 inch Mopar Lift
35" Pitbull tires
post #15 of 15 Old 01-29-2016, 09:42 PM
Granite Guru

Gotta love the powertrain warranty! Just had my drivers side head replaced on my '12JKUR with 52k miles and it didn't cost me a penny

P.S. I know now that there is an extended warranty on the drivers side head

2012 JKUR
[Teraflex Full Arm 3"][Britax Baby Seat][Cooper Discoverer STT 35"][Yukon 4:56][Ace Pro Series Bumpers][Artec front truss, Synergy gussets][Smittybilt X20 winch w/synthetic line][Tom Woods front and rear 1350 driveshafts][Crawler Concepts liners][Poison Spyder Fenders][Trucklights][Cobra 75WXT][TrekArmor Covers][Hothead Headliner]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode