long arm vs. short arm lift question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 02-04-2015, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

long arm vs. short arm lift question

Can someone explain the differences between the two besides the price. I am wanting to run 35's on 2015 jku. Not really after the budget boost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 02-04-2015, 08:21 AM
Granite Guru

Long story short(pun intended) - long arms = smoother ride on road but sacrifice a little ground clearance off-road... Articulate smoother than short arms though.
Short arms = better ground clearance off-road but don't ride as sooth on-road...

Amp'd 14 JK Unlimited Rubicon | RE 2.5 Lift | RK Control Arms | Poison Spyder Brawler Bumper & Narrow Crusher Flares | JW Speaker Headlights and Tails | Vision-X LEDs | Adams Shafts | Method Mesh Wheels | 35x12.50x17 General Grabber AT2's | SuperChips FlashPaq | Pioneer 8100NEX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 Old 02-04-2015, 08:22 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowjunkie View Post
Can someone explain the differences between the two besides the price. I am wanting to run 35's on 2015 jku. Not really after the budget boost.
A long arm suspension system will require you to remove all of the factory suspension brackets at the frame and weld new ones on. Any short arm system will be bolt in and will use existing mounting points on the frame for your control arms.

A long arm suspension system will change the overall geometry of your suspension and allow for more articulation and in some cases wheel travel.

You DO NOT need a long arm to run 35s. I would actually recommend against it. Buy a short arm kit and enjoy it. It will take you 99% of the places that you'll want to go in that brand new Jeep.

Marcus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 02-04-2015, 08:24 AM
Granite Guru

Only other advice is to buy off of this guy! ^

Amp'd 14 JK Unlimited Rubicon | RE 2.5 Lift | RK Control Arms | Poison Spyder Brawler Bumper & Narrow Crusher Flares | JW Speaker Headlights and Tails | Vision-X LEDs | Adams Shafts | Method Mesh Wheels | 35x12.50x17 General Grabber AT2's | SuperChips FlashPaq | Pioneer 8100NEX

post #5 of 30 Old 02-04-2015, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
A long arm suspension system will require you to remove all of the factory suspension brackets at the frame and weld new ones on. Any short arm system will be bolt in and will use existing mounting points on the frame for your control arms.

A long arm suspension system will change the overall geometry of your suspension and allow for more articulation and in some cases wheel travel.

You DO NOT need a long arm to run 35s. I would actually recommend against it. Buy a short arm kit and enjoy it. It will take you 99% of the places that you'll want to go in that brand new Jeep.

Marcus
brand new aint even close, delivery date is advised to be February 14, Happy valentines day to me

with that being said, I researching and planning.
post #6 of 30 Old 02-04-2015, 09:10 AM
Jeepineer

Garage

Rule(s) of thumb:

Less than 12" of vertical travel = Short arm
12" or more vertical travel = Long arm

4-4.5" of lift or less = Short arm
More than 4.5" of lift = Long arm

Those would be the two most basic traits to compare the two against, IMO. There are other benefits to long arms, depending on manufacturer (or builder) such as tailored/adjusted suspension geomentry. But at it's simplest form the above to points would be how I would suggest you decide.

-Mike
2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, 2" lift, cage, hydro, etc.
post #7 of 30 Old 02-04-2015, 09:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick13JKUR View Post
Long story short(pun intended) - long arms = smoother ride on road but sacrifice a little ground clearance off-road... Articulate smoother than short arms though.
Short arms = better ground clearance off-road but don't ride as sooth on-road...
I don't think I lost any ground clearance going to long arms.

post #8 of 30 Old 02-04-2015, 09:35 AM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Good nfo posted already.
Not really necessary unless you want to run 40's

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

//
//

//
//

post #9 of 30 Old 02-04-2015, 11:25 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
I don't think I lost any ground clearance going to long arms.
Just a little... You have more arm hanging down now so you have more stuff to snag on rocks etc...

post #10 of 30 Old 02-04-2015, 11:32 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Just a little... You have more arm hanging down now so you have more stuff to snag on rocks etc...
My rear arms are bent and the front are tucked up just as well as stock if not better.

post #11 of 30 Old 02-04-2015, 11:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Some run the frame mounts outside the frame (EVO for example)
Clayton's front arms tuck up and bolt to the crossover.
Depends on the kit mostly. Not all drop the arms below the frame.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #12 of 30 Old 02-04-2015, 11:42 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Good to know... Sorry OP for the mis-info...

post #13 of 30 Old 02-04-2015, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
now you opened a can of worms!!

I am looking at rock krawler and teraflex. But am leaning more to the teraflex. With the above mentioned descriptions is there a kit that is better or is the ford/chevy syndrome (preference).
post #14 of 30 Old 02-04-2015, 11:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Haha, I'll let the more knowledgable suspension people answer that.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #15 of 30 Old 02-04-2015, 12:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
now you opened a can of worms!!

I am looking at rock krawler and teraflex. But am leaning more to the teraflex. With the above mentioned descriptions is there a kit that is better or is the ford/chevy syndrome (preference).
Both companies are great but if you are still talking about long arms, then it is Rock Krawler hands down.

Teraflex stuck with a traditional four link similar to stock geometry. Problem is that upper rear arms are only ~1" longer than stock which causes binding.

post #16 of 30 Old 02-04-2015, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
Both companies are great but if you are still talking about long arms, then it is Rock Krawler hands down.

Teraflex stuck with a traditional four link similar to stock geometry. Problem is that upper rear arms are only ~1" longer than stock which causes binding.
think the short arm is the best option for me.
post #17 of 30 Old 02-04-2015, 02:34 PM
Rock God

I'd agree that short arm would be the way to go for you. Espceically if you are only planning on running 35's.

That being said, when I made the jump to long arms I noticed a significant difference across the board.

2008 X 2-door, 35" Duratacs, Clayton Long-arm, geared and locked

2012 Rubi 2-door, 37" Nittos, Method Beadlocks, JKS Suspension, JCR everything
post #18 of 30 Old 02-04-2015, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

[QUOTE=SlvrJK;3109617]I'd agree that short arm would be the way to go for you. Espceically if you are only planning on running 35's.

That being said, when I made the jump to long arms I noticed a significant difference why did you make the jump?
post #19 of 30 Old 02-05-2015, 02:31 AM
Rock God

Quote:
why did you make the jump?
Funny story about that one. I got hit head on last winter by a guy in a pickup truck. The front portion of the frame / control arm mounts took so much damage it was either longarm the jeep so they didnt have to swap frames or total the jeep. Obviously I chose option A.

2008 X 2-door, 35" Duratacs, Clayton Long-arm, geared and locked

2012 Rubi 2-door, 37" Nittos, Method Beadlocks, JKS Suspension, JCR everything
post #20 of 30 Old 02-06-2015, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlvrJK View Post
Quote:
why did you make the jump?
Funny story about that one. I got hit head on last winter by a guy in a pickup truck. The front portion of the frame / control arm mounts took so much damage it was either longarm the jeep so they didnt have to swap frames or total the jeep. Obviously I chose option A.
That sucks.

Will be researching a lot more about brands of lifts. They all look somewhat the same but then they dont. Kinda confusing, but i know i want to stay away from any issues with driving/suspension problems (dw).
post #21 of 30 Old 02-06-2015, 05:48 AM
Wheeler

Im only at 2.5" of lift and after many people told me it would not help to LA my jeep i still did. IT WAS THE BEST THING I EVER DID! Much smoother suspension cycle. I am only running 35s as of now but 37s will come soon.
If you have the time and like to work on your rig to get everything dialed in then LA. If you want to plug it in and play then short arm is the way to go.
post #22 of 30 Old 02-06-2015, 05:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgee149 View Post
Im only at 2.5" of lift and after many people told me it would not help to LA my jeep i still did. IT WAS THE BEST THING I EVER DID! Much smoother suspension cycle. I am only running 35s as of now but 37s will come soon.

If you have the time and like to work on your rig to get everything dialed in then LA. If you want to plug it in and play then short arm is the way to go.

Did you run a quality short arm first for comparison ?

post #23 of 30 Old 02-06-2015, 06:11 AM
Rock God

If your in the market for long arms(not saying that you should be on 35s) Synergys Long arm kit is worth a look. The Dual Durometer Bushings and double adjuster sleeve is what sells me on them. PIG can probably tell you more as I only have experencie with their short arms.

http://www.synergymfg.com/Synergy-Je...l#.VNTKj3i9LCQ

How many are running Long Arms with 37s?

2010 4-DOOR MOUNTAIN
post #24 of 30 Old 02-06-2015, 06:52 AM
Wheeler

[QUOTE=kjeeper10;3113001]Did you run a quality short arm first for comparison ?[/QUOT

i ran a rock krawler short arm. now its three linked front and rear long arm.
post #25 of 30 Old 02-06-2015, 08:01 AM
JKowners Vendor

Another can of worms per say...

Most of your short (or mid arms on a JK) is a 4 link front and rear. When you go to a long arm, it is a lot easier to change that up and do a 3 link.

We run a RK 3.5" X Factor Long Arm and it is a 3 Link front and rear versus a 4 Link front and rear.

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode