2015 Rubi 6-speed 3rd gear rattle - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 02-03-2015, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

2015 Rubi 6-speed 3rd gear rattle

I've seen some info online about others having rattling issues in their manuals, that got fixed, I am wondering if my rattle is the same issue?

In 3rd gear I get a little rattle that sounds like something is loose under the boot. If I put pressure on the stick, the rattle goes away. Is this fixable? or just the drivetrain making normal noises? I would like to get it fixed if possible, it detracts from the lovely sound of the RPMs )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 02-03-2015, 09:25 PM
Rock God

Lots of threads on this.

Try this one:

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101098

I had a rattle w/ my 2012 JKUR Manual, but it was different than you describe (and it magically went away by itself after a year)
post #3 of 35 Old 02-04-2015, 01:42 AM
JKO Addict!

I was getting a couple of sounds with mine.

Gear gnash... I hear this on occasion and mostly when off road. Nothing wrong with the transmission in this case and not something that you can usually solve unless there are design changes to the transmission. A fluid change or top of could quiet this down. Back in the 80's when I was a dealeship tech, I would have written "not observed" or "chactaristic of the car" for that line item on the RO. I've also repaired gear gnash under warranty but in those cases there were TSBs on a specific issue with a known fix, such as an updated gear inside the transmission.

Rattly shift knob.....I had this when the vehicle was new then it went away but I do hear it from time to time still. I am not sure this is fixable because of the shift knob design and how it goes together. Back when I was a real tech, I would have solved this by wrenching down the shift knob another turn or replacing it. This was actually somewhat common on the Japanese cars I worked on. I replaced the weighted shift knob that is connected to the getrag in my E46 twice already for this. I describe this sound as if something is coming unglued inside the knob itself and is barely rattling around in there.

Not sure what to say about the guy in the other thread that Jonboy shared who had the transmission torn down and inspected only to find nothing. Hope that was warranty vs customer pay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 02-04-2015, 06:27 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBoy View Post
I've seen some info online about others having rattling issues in their manuals, that got fixed, I am wondering if my rattle is the same issue?

In 3rd gear I get a little rattle that sounds like something is loose under the boot. If I put pressure on the stick, the rattle goes away. Is this fixable? or just the drivetrain making normal noises? I would like to get it fixed if possible, it detracts from the lovely sound of the RPMs )
I have a 2015 Sport manual and it has always rattled. I've gotten used to it or simply turn on the radio which washed it out. I read somewhere that its just a harmonic issue caused in mating the 3.6 to the nsg370 tranny. AKA its totally normal and can never really be fixed. There's a really long thread on another forum of ppl who have this issue. I'm thinking about switching the shift knob for something heavier and I think it'll quiet it down, because when I hold the knob firmly the noise decreases.
post #5 of 35 Old 02-04-2015, 02:04 PM
Random Dude

This shouldn't apply to brand new Jeeps () but on older ones, look for tears in the rubber inner shift boot (left side of pic).

If you're getting more noise in 1,3,5, you may have a crack / tear at the 6:00 location.
If you're getting more noise in 2,4,6, you may have a crack / tear at the 12:00 location.
Also, it couldn't hurt to look and make sure that the inner boot is snapped all the way down.

If you think it's loud stock, you would definitely hate driving my Jeep.

For reasons I can justify, I cut the rubber isolator off the bottom of my shifter handle . . .

. . . and mounted it solid to the shift input lever on the transmission.

It's like you're hearing a party from a block away, and I'm at the party!
It's my own doing and I'm cool with it, but I'm intimately familiar with my transmission.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #6 of 35 Old 02-04-2015, 03:45 PM
Granite Guru

Intimately ..... Kinky ...Kinky.
post #7 of 35 Old 02-04-2015, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the replies guys. I was messing with it a big, and I think it might be the shift rod or knob.. it sounds like something is loose and rattling, almost like when you have change in the cup holder, only this is more like a couple ball bearings in the cup holder... It didnt do it on my test drive, and it doesnt do it always, but tonight it was really bad... Idk if something is loosening, or if its just weird like that?? I am not sure how to pop the boot off yet, but I would like to pop it off and see if I can see anything... I was also thinking of replacing the shift rod and knob with something more substantial, thinking maybe it would help.
post #8 of 35 Old 02-04-2015, 09:40 PM
Granite Guru

Mine does it too. Shiftknob...
post #9 of 35 Old 03-30-2015, 08:21 AM
Wheeler

My brand new 2015 JKUR has this issue. Has made the noise since the minute I drove it off the lot. Metallic chatter/ vibrating/ rattling noise under load mainly in 3rd gear. I removed both shifter knobs and even the entire gear shifter shaft. Noise persisted. It is coming up through the transmission. Dropped the Jeep off at the dealership this morning. I will report back the solution that they come up with. If it's not fixed on this first try I will be requesting a new transmission.
post #10 of 35 Old 03-30-2015, 01:45 PM
Wheeler

I can't remember if was here, but someone awhile back posted about a rattle in the shifter area typically in 3rd gear around 2.5-3k rpm.

It ended up being a cable that is routed to the transfer case lever. When mine does it, I jiggle the transfer case handle back a bit, but not into 4hi of course..just some tension.

I've been too lazy to pull the console to do the fiddle with it.

Picture in this thread

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111345

Last edited by Autorotate; 03-30-2015 at 01:51 PM.
post #11 of 35 Old 03-30-2015, 06:28 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autorotate View Post
I can't remember if was here, but someone awhile back posted about a rattle in the shifter area typically in 3rd gear around 2.5-3k rpm.

It ended up being a cable that is routed to the transfer case lever. When mine does it, I jiggle the transfer case handle back a bit, but not into 4hi of course..just some tension.

I've been too lazy to pull the console to do the fiddle with it.

Picture in this thread

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111345

I've tried that solution and no go. No noise coming from any cables or linkages. The noise was coming up through the little nub that runs up from the transmission that the shifter shaft bolts to. What I did was unbolted the shifter shaft so I could pull it off once I shifted to 3rd gear. Even without the entire shifter shaft attached, I could still hear/ feel the chatter coming up through that nub. Like others have said, the noise could be stopped by pushing/ holding the shifter upwards further into 3rd gear.

The dealership had no idea where to start and no previous Jeeps brought in with this issue. The best I got was "might have something to do with the synchros". We'll see what happens this week. If they find the problem and fix it, then great. If not, I hope they do the right thing and agree to replace my transmission.
post #12 of 35 Old 04-04-2015, 11:19 PM
Wheeler

The dealership called yesterday and said they believe it is the shift tower assembly that bolts onto the top of the transmission that is making the noise. I pick her back up on Monday, so I'll post whether or not the noise is fixed.
post #13 of 35 Old 04-05-2015, 01:04 PM
Wheeler

Mine 15JKUS, is at the dealership now for a week, and they pulled tranny out to look at what it is. Once I know more I will post.

Thanks
Guls
post #14 of 35 Old 04-06-2015, 02:30 PM
Wheeler

New tranny ordered its back ordered, so will see when it gets here.

Thanks
Guls
post #15 of 35 Old 04-08-2015, 06:58 AM
Wheeler

Went to pick my Jeep up yesterday afternoon with the new shift tower installed. Didn't fix the problem at all. Dealership is calling Chrysler today to get approval to replace the entire transmission. They have another customer with the same problem right now who has been waiting 2 months for a new transmission to come in, since they are backordered. Great. Good news is they are loaning me a wrangler to drive in the meantime....
post #16 of 35 Old 04-08-2015, 07:00 AM
Wheeler

I'll post a video of the noise for reference later today. Maybe it will help others. I'm sure this is not an isolated incident.
post #17 of 35 Old 04-08-2015, 04:28 PM
Wheeler

I got a welcome packet from Jeep today and it says," it is time to open up to unexpected possibilities." Guess it's true, it has an unexpected possibility........it will spend more time at dealership then me driving it.

Thanks
Guls
post #18 of 35 Old 04-09-2015, 10:32 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guls View Post
I got a welcome packet from Jeep today and it says," it is time to open up to unexpected possibilities." Guess it's true, it has an unexpected possibility........it will spend more time at dealership then me driving it.
Haha you got that right. Still waiting to hear from the dealership whether or not Chrysler is approving a replacement transmission. At least they had a loaner Wrangler to give me.
post #19 of 35 Old 04-09-2015, 10:42 AM
Rock God

Garage

Mine rattles in neutral when idling. If I put any kind of pressure on the shifter (down toward 4th or up toward 3rd) without actually shifting, the rattling goes away. Can hear it outside and inside the jeep.

It also goes away when I turn up the radio. The manual transmissions on these things are noisy and clunky, but as long as it still shifts correctly, i don't worry about it too much.

Good luck with your hunt.

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #20 of 35 Old 04-09-2015, 10:51 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaman View Post
Mine rattles in neutral when idling. If I put any kind of pressure on the shifter (down toward 4th or up toward 3rd) without actually shifting, the rattling goes away. Can hear it outside and inside the jeep.

It also goes away when I turn up the radio. The manual transmissions on these things are noisy and clunky, but as long as it still shifts correctly, i don't worry about it too much.

Good luck with your hunt.
My 2013 had a slight rattle in neutral. It could only be heard if the window was down or door was open. I didn't worry much about it. It didn't seem abnormal. What I'm experiencing in my new Jeep is totally different. It's a loud rattle coming up through the gear selector from inside the transmission. It specifically only happens under load in 3rd gear. The service manager who rode along with me agreed that it was abnormal and in addition to the noise, he thought the gear shifter was vibrating more than it should. We took one off the lot for a spin and no noise/ much less vibration.
post #21 of 35 Old 04-09-2015, 10:53 AM
Wheeler

The nsg370 isn't a smooth or quiet transmission, but I think there is legitimacy to some of these noises people are experiencing being problematic.
post #22 of 35 Old 04-09-2015, 03:27 PM
Wheeler

Problem getting these is they are built in Germany, and being an old design they are not a reliable as they should be.

Thanks
Guls
post #23 of 35 Old 04-10-2015, 11:29 AM
Wheeler

Looks like I'll be getting a replacement transmission. They couldn't tell me how long it'd take, but here's hoping that it doesn't take 2 months like the other guy that had this problem at my dealership.
post #24 of 35 Old 04-13-2015, 08:02 AM
Wheeler

I have had my '14 Rubi 6-speed for about a year now, bought it with 70 miles and it rattled in 3rd right off the lot. At first I had the top off and radio up so it didn't even register. Then over the winter it started to bug the crap out of me. I thought about a trip to the dealer, but I figure they would just do their very best to blame it on the Jeep being driven off of a paved surface. Interested to see how you fare.
post #25 of 35 Old 04-16-2015, 03:20 PM
Wheeler

I got the Jeep back today with the new transmission. No noise, shifting is much smoother and clutch effort is better. So far I am happy with the results.

Thanks
Guls
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode