post #1 of 5 Old 02-02-2015, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

recommendations for back bumper

need some recommendations for a back bumper here is my criteria
Not too heavy
Not too costly
comes with a tire mount
doesn't rattle on wash board roads
can add other stuff to it later water gas jack shovel etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-02-2015, 08:13 PM
Rock God

IMO, focusing on the not too costly side, Smittybilt's XRC rear bumper is a great bang for the buck tire carrier because it comes pre-powder coated, incorporates a hitch, D-Rings, and the tire carrier. From my expenciere there doesn't seem to be a problem with it rattling as long as the handle is installed properly. Smittybilt is a Chinese made product so their products are not exactly "fan favs" on here. However, for the $900 price tag, it's not a bad deal.

They have also just realeased a new fullwidth Atlas design but I haven't seen it in person yet. I know it's geared more towards the utility equipment concerns with the Gerry can mounts. Maybe someone who owns one can chime in

If by some chance your solely chasing a tire carrier, depending on your tire size, the Teraflex HD adjustable is IMHO one of the better deals available. It acts more like a "brace" for your factory tailgate and doesn't put the load on a bumper-mounted spindle. Another plus is it opens with the tailgate so getting into your storage space is not a two step process. You can also add to it with mounts for a Hi-Lift jack, CB antenna, and Rotopax. A good vendor around here could get you the complete setup somewhere in the $750-800 range.

If your wanting to look at all the different options available in this segment of the JK aftermarket parts extravaganza, there quite a few dogs in the fight. JCR, Poison Spyder, AEV, ACE engineering, PureJeep, Fab Fours, Shrockworks,ARB, Genright, Full Metal Fabworks all offer great products at different price points.....even Bestop offers one! It really depends on what you want all you want accomplished for the money. Do you want to have lights in the bumper? What about fullwidth over stubby? Is a hitch important to you? Do you want it integrated with the factory tailgate opening?

I have been around a couple of installs of AEVs offering and have to say they make a fantastic product. They offer their rear bumper with and without the tire carrier. Their rear bumper holds 5 gallons of water(2.5 on each side) and has spots for a hi lift jack to be used comfortably. Not only that, the tire carrier spindle is mounted directly to the frame so it supports the load of the tire and other accessories. It holds a spot for a shovel, opens with the tailgate, and has a spot for a backup light. You can also add an additional fuel container behind the tire. It's more on the pricey end at $2300~ but it's an option.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt, the only tire carrier my Jeep's seen in its life time is the factory one, and it was taken off a month after purchase. I've been in the market for one since I took it off just always spent my money on other Jeep shit. Hopefully I'll be getting my hands on a Teraflex set up sooner or later. I'm going to need something to support my TR beadlock and 37 Toyos

Matt

2010 4-DOOR MOUNTAIN
post #3 of 5 Old 02-03-2015, 08:34 AM
Granite Guru

I had (have) the Smittybilt with tire carrier. Not bad but the latch is terrible. I'm using a bungee cord to keep the handle seated in the bumper so it doesn't fly out on a washboard road. The bumper has taken a beating and help up well. With regards to rattling, I'm adjusting the carrier about 1-3/month to keep it from rattling.

I purchased an ACE rear bumper with tire carrier about a month ago and have yet to receive it. ACE is a heavy product though- maybe not what you're working for.

Shop around like crazy. It took me about 6 months to decide on which bumpers I wanted to run and it came down to 1st: Quality 2nd: Looks 3rd: what fellow members said about the brands customer service.

There are plenty of companies out there that build quality products, just figure out what your price point is and start searching.

Grizz gave you a nice list to start with.

Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-03-2015, 09:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Only one answer and it's the Rancho rear tire carrier. Basic, very good at what it is designed to do, and can have anything welded/bolted/strapped to it that your little heart can muster.

Also, check out Chunks' thread on the carrier and the stock bumper caps he added. I did the same thing and added cup holders to the stock caps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-03-2015, 07:05 PM
Wheeler

http://www.lodoffroad.com/xcart/home.php?cat=269 This is what I plan on buying.

2013 JKUR 4 Door, Trail Ready graphite deadlocks, 37" KM2's, 3" BDS Lift, Rugid Ridge XHD front bumper, artec truss, sleeves and rcvs with 4.56 gears.

If it ain't broke fix it till it is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode