homemade front bumpers?? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 01-29-2015, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

homemade front bumpers??

where are the homemade front bumpers?? i want to design and build my own, but i havent seen many homemade bumpers for JKs... it seems everyone just purchases from vendors... i may be mistaken, but YJ and TJ owners seem to be more fabricators than purchasers, and the opposite goes for JK owners... it would be good to have some homemade bumpers in here, ill make a thread when i finish mine...

this reminds me of this thread:

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...hlight=imports

PD: cutting the stock bumpers doesnt qualifies IMO...

2007 JKU, 2.5" Rock Krawler lift, 285/70 17 mud terrains....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-30-2015, 05:08 AM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

So you want to see some homemade bumpers so you have something to go from? and that will qualify you as a "fabricator"..

Where do these ppl come from.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
We liked you better when we didn't know you. If you just fucked off we could go back to not giving a shit about you.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-30-2015, 05:51 AM
Wheeler

Mine and best looking one ever imho........ good luck trying to copy it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-30-2015, 09:36 AM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu2kill View Post
where are the homemade front bumpers?? i want to design and build my own, but i havent seen many homemade bumpers for JKs...
Look around (or SEARCH) - they're out there.

Quote:
... it seems everyone just purchases from vendors...
Disagree.

Quote:
... i may be mistaken
Agree.

Quote:
. . .YJ and TJ owners seem to be more fabricators than purchasers, and the opposite goes for JK owners...
And when YJs were new, you could have said the same about CJs.
And when TJs were new, you could have said the same about CJs and YJs . . .

Quote:
... it would be good to have some homemade bumpers in here, ill make a thread when i finish mine...
OK, I'll play. My first round of design and fab on my front bumper:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
Kept the MileMarker hydraulic winch from my Toyota - offered to sell it at full price, because I would have bought it again new.
Front bumper started as 2" x 8" x .188" wall tubing. Winch is mounted to a single .188" wall, but mostly in compression.

Notice the sexy hole-saw corners and time consuming straight cuts. Guess who doesn't have a plasma cutter.
(deleted from quote to get under 15 pics)
I stood the shackle tabs up for a few reasons:
  • to tie front wall of bumper to back wall where bolted to frame
  • to not bang my knees on them when dicking around under the hood
  • for the hell of it and because I had never seen it done before

Front wall of bumper is continuous - I pie-cut the back, bent it closed, and fully welded it inside and out before grinding.

3/16" plate for top of bumper. I chose 30 degrees for the bumper wings, and mirrored this on the top plate for symmetry.

Plate sitting on top of bumper attaches to top plate and back side of wing portion.

Duplicolor etching primer in a rattle can has not let me down yet.
Tab in foreground is to add a 9/16" grade 8 bolt in shear to the fight against the winch tearing the front bumper off.

I know, I know . . . no improvement over the factory bumper. Sorry.

Bumpers and sliders are painted with Duplicolor rattle can truck bed liner. Works OK, lasts OK.
. . . and a little redesign and rebuild after a couple of years:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post

I could have made these spacers in 10 minutes on a lathe at work, but I prefer to detach from work entirely during play time
So, I scribed a guide line and ground down to it. I nailed the thickness within .003" and parallelism within .002".

Here's where those ended up: I added 2 more half-inch bolts to the 10 other bolts holding this bumper to the frame.
I tapped the frame then tacked on the spacers with oversize bores that the bolts pass through.
If I had to do it over, I would weld on the bosses with a smaller inside diameter and tap through them as well, but this will hold up fine.
EDIT: Next time the front bumper comes off, I'm going to ditch these and weld on fully threaded bosses. (20/20 hindsight: check!)

I left the bottom of the bumper intact when I made my cuts so it would span the length of its new 30-degree run.

Folded it all together.

Little welding, little grinding . . .
I mostly only had to grind flat surfaces since I reused the bottom edge of the bumper. Flat grinding = easy grinding, and easy is good.

Side-by-side comparison of the old and new bumper profiles.

Tubes tacked. You can see how much better the new bumper profile flows with the new tube work.

The flat cut-off section from the front face of the bumper fit perfectly to box in the back side.
I wish I could say I planned this, but I'll take luck any day.

A little touch of Mr. Millerís hot glue gun.
For the 8 factory bolt locations, I welded bolts to straps (4 pairs) so I no longer have to snake a wrench into the bumper to mount / dismount it.

Brand-new, mostly old, same-but-different front bumper.

Another angle.
The grill hoop could prevent my radiator from being compromised in a rollover, and the stinger could help prevent an endo.
Far more likely, this tube work will prevent grill, headlight, and radiator damage from incidental contact with wildlife or tree branches.
If I'm really lucky, it will remain entirely decorative.

And one more angle.

I'm happy with it, and I'm happy to be done with it.
Plenty more projects competing for my time, not the least of which is breaking down all 5 wheels for evaluation.
I needed a break from that, and this was a fun(ctional) way to kill a few hours of garage play time.
Hope you dig it, not worried if you don't.
Quote:
Agree. Your thread is has similar ASSumptions in the OP.
EDIT: For the love of productive adult communication, please slow down and use some capitalization and punctuation.
That lazy crap hurts my head and makes me not want to help you.
My $.02. Feel free to ignore it if you don't want any more information from me.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful

Last edited by ExWrench; 01-30-2015 at 10:14 AM.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-30-2015, 09:52 AM
Wheeler

I like that bumper ^^^^^^ (both times ya built it)
post #6 of 8 Old 01-30-2015, 11:58 AM
Granite Guru

Nice bumper ExWrench.

I've never learned to weld nor do I have access to a welder so its bolt-ons, cutting, wrenching, or rebuilding for me. I only go to a shop if I need something welded (or if I am being lazy). If I spent time on getting some welding skills then I would never do it with a regular enough frequency to get as good as some of the guys that are making bumpers for JKs (like VKS) so I just buy them and admire the craftsmanship.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-30-2015, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thanx Exwrench, nice bumper.

i dont want to copy anything, as i have almost finished my design... but i thought i could look at some homemade bumpers as i have done several searches and havent found much... for instance, i want mine not to be full width, but neither stubby... looking at yours, i know how it will look like if i make it a little longer than the frame horns, and thats more or less what i want for mine...

2007 JKU, 2.5" Rock Krawler lift, 285/70 17 mud terrains....
post #8 of 8 Old 09-21-2017, 02:26 AM

ExWrench What you describe sounds good, but I would love see pictures. The ones on the Thread aren't showing up anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode