New Jeep vs old - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 01-29-2015, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

New Jeep vs old

After riding in my fathers recently purchased JKUR, I have decided to get in the market for a jeep. First off thank to everyone who helped choose the lift for his jeep that I was posting about, for him, a few weeks ago.

So let me set the ground work, I would like to start wheeling. I have owned jeeps in the past and have never actually used them, I want this to change. So I am torn between buying an olderJKU rubicon vs buying a brand new one. Here is what I am thinking, please let me know what you guys think.

OLD PROS:
Cheap
I would wheel it way harder
Would most probably do a 4bt or LS swap at some point
wouldn't worry about keeping it as nice
would have more money for goodies

OLD CONS:
not as comfortable interior
no warranty
no HP until a possible swap
Possible bad history of use
will most probably need wear parts replaced

NEW PROS:
Warranty
Overall nicer interior and exterior
can drive it from day one without replacing/fixing anything (Ball joints, brakes, etc)

NEW CONS:
Price!!
I would be VERY hesitant to wheel a new jeep, If I did wheel it, it would be very lightly
The pressure to keep it looking new

So there you have it. I have been looking at 2007's and 2008's for used. If I were to go with the newer interior/motor jeeps 2012+, I would just as well buy new for the prices I am seeing/getting.

Thanks.

Last edited by rzide; 01-29-2015 at 07:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-29-2015, 07:37 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzide View Post
After riding in my fathers recently purchased JKUR, I have decided to get in the market for a jeep. First off thank to everyone who helped choose the lift for his jeep that I was posting about, for him, a few weeks ago.

So let me set the ground work, I would like to start wheeling. I have owned jeeps in the past and have never actually used them, I want this to change. So I am torn between buying an olderJKU rubicon vs buying a brand new one. Here is what I am thinking, please let me know what you guys think.

OLD PROS:
Cheap
I would wheel it way harder
Would most probably do a 4bt or LS swap at some point
wouldn't worry about keeping it as nice
would have more money for goodies

OLD CONS:
not as comfortable interior
no warranty
no HP until a possible swap
Possible bad history of use
will most probably need wear parts replaced

NEW PROS:
Warranty
Overall nicer interior and exterior
can drive it from day one without replacing/fixing anything (Ball joints, brakes, etc)

NEW CONS:
Price!!
I would be VERY hesitant to wheel a new jeep, If I did wheel it, it would be very lightly
The pressure to keep it looking new

So there you have it. I have been looking at 2007's and 2008's for used. If I were to go with the newer interior/motor jeeps 2012+, I would just as well buy new for the prices I am seeing/getting.

Thanks.
i guess that answers your question....

2007 JKU, 2.5" Rock Krawler lift, 285/70 17 mud terrains....
post #3 of 20 Old 01-29-2015, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I should have been more clear... I will wheel a new jeep but it would most likely be old fire roads or very well groomed trails. When it got a little older I would step it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 01-29-2015, 07:45 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I should have been more clear... I will wheel a new jeep but it would most likely be old fire roads or very well groomed trails. When it got a little older I would step it up.
well, i dont think a fire road qualifies as "wheeling", as basically any old truck could "wheel" there, maybe you dont even need a 4x4....

i just purchased last week a 08, which i dont plan on wheeling much because im into other activities, climbing, camping, and fishing, which sometimes do require the use of a 4x4 and some mods, like a winch.... however, if i had the money i would have bought a 2015, set it up exactly the same, and use it exaclty the same... if it scratches or dents, well, thats what its for...

2007 JKU, 2.5" Rock Krawler lift, 285/70 17 mud terrains....
post #5 of 20 Old 01-30-2015, 01:05 AM
Rock God

Garage

My recommendation is that if this is your first Jeep and first time going off-road you should consider an older used Jeep. You can pick-up a TJ with a mild lift and all terrain or mud terrain tires for around $8k, versus putting $8k down on a new Jeep and paying $400/month for five years and sweating each time you head out to the trails.

Who knows, you might change your mind in a year or two and loose interest in Jeeps. I've seen it happen. If you've taken care of the used Jeep you'll be able to sell it for close to what you originally paid. Or you might go the other way and decide to build it up and wheel it harder, in which case you're driving an $8K plus mods over rocks and through mud, instead of a $30-40K jeep plus mods.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #6 of 20 Old 01-30-2015, 05:54 AM
Rock God

no matter how old or new they are, only the first scratch hurts.
post #7 of 20 Old 01-30-2015, 06:37 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
^ this. After scratch #1, it doesn't feel new anymore, at least that's what happened to me. After the first couple of scratches, it's game on. Another Pro for the new jeep is the fact that it is so much more fun to work on when there's not 7 or 8 years of dirt and mud caked on everything.

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Last edited by sixstring; 01-30-2015 at 06:40 AM.
post #8 of 20 Old 01-30-2015, 12:17 PM
Granite Guru

If you are going to buy used then plan on looking for something more than a few years old. Jeep Wranglers hold their value very well compared to most vehicles.

When I bought mine two years ago - I couldn't find a used one that was 5 years old or newer that really saved enough money to be worth it. I ended up buying a new JKR at the end of the model year and in a color that no one really wants (Dune) which saved me almost $6K off of MSRP. I didn't like the color at first but it grew on me and I receive a lot of compliments on how well the color suits the jeep with the mods that I have done to it. Oh, and I don't see the same color Jeep staring back at me at every intersection in the Bay Area
post #9 of 20 Old 01-30-2015, 02:25 PM
Wheeler

Buy something with a blown motor that was a mall crawler & do a Chevy LS motor swap like MoTech does. Go to www.lswrangler.com or search for MoTech in the forum & check out what a V8 Chevy can do for a Wrangler.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #10 of 20 Old 01-30-2015, 02:26 PM
Wheeler

12 and up have a LOT more power and like they said only the first scratch hurts.
post #11 of 20 Old 01-30-2015, 05:31 PM
Rock God

Garage

I am definitely not a super experienced Jeeper. But... I just traded my 2013 Sahara for a Rubicon. I got bit by the off road bug after I bought my Sahara and wanted more off road capabilities in my Jeep. I LOVE!!!!!! my new Rubicon. Let me just say if you buy a used Wrangler you are going to be paying a lot because their resale value is so high. The dealer that has my old Sahara is selling her for more than I bought her for new. I'm not sure what kind of wheeling you plan on doing but as far as wheeling in a new Jeep -- a stock Rubicon -- you'd be surprised at how much she can take, but like I said I'm not an expert. Check out my you tube videos... The Jeep Momma. I don't regret wheeling in a 2015 Rubicon... I am cautious though and it's still a good time.

Tammy
post #12 of 20 Old 01-30-2015, 05:31 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpInTheRoad View Post
My recommendation is that if this is your first Jeep and first time going off-road you should consider an older used Jeep. You can pick-up a TJ with a mild lift and all terrain or mud terrain tires for around $8k, versus putting $8k down on a new Jeep and paying $400/month for five years and sweating each time you head out to the trails.

Who knows, you might change your mind in a year or two and loose interest in Jeeps. I've seen it happen. If you've taken care of the used Jeep you'll be able to sell it for close to what you originally paid. Or you might go the other way and decide to build it up and wheel it harder, in which case you're driving an $8K plus mods over rocks and through mud, instead of a $30-40K jeep plus mods.
Loose interest in a JEEP.... BWAHAHAHA!!!

Tammy
post #13 of 20 Old 01-30-2015, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thank you all for your opinions, Right now I am leaning toward the new Jeep and then slowly working my way into wheeling and modding.

If I purchase new I want it built like this, Auto tranny, cloth seats, 4.10's, premium soft top, and possibly auto ac. I figure I will change the rest (even gears at some point). Again, any opinions on this set up are welcome as well.

Thanks
post #14 of 20 Old 01-31-2015, 07:23 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
Yup. Tore a fender off on an old over grown logging trail and hopping over HUGE fallen trees. That hurt. But not as much as the ass chewing i got from my mother when i got back to reattach it

No dents or scratches though!

Itll hurt but its worth it

"Gremlin"
Nothing in my jeep is sacred, except my jelly beans and apple liquorice. Don't touch those...
post #15 of 20 Old 01-31-2015, 07:38 PM
Granite Guru

I would look into building a badass LJ. I have a '13 JK but if I could start over I would build up an LJ. It is the coolest Jeep since the Scrambler and you'll want to keep it forever.
post #16 of 20 Old 02-01-2015, 05:58 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Thank you all for your opinions, Right now I am leaning toward the new Jeep and then slowly working my way into wheeling and modding.

If I purchase new I want it built like this, Auto tranny, cloth seats, 4.10's, premium soft top, and possibly auto ac. I figure I will change the rest (even gears at some point). Again, any opinions on this set up are welcome as well.

Thanks
It VERY much depends on your area, whether or not Jeeps maintain their high resale value as prominently, too. Your options are pretty specific, I'd start trolling the dealership lots looking for one that suits your needs. I bought mine as a lease return deal, it was 2 years old for a pretty good price. But, I had to wait awhile to find exactly what I wanted. Just keep your eyes out and don't be overly anxious to buy.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #17 of 20 Old 02-01-2015, 06:03 AM
Rock God

I have a built 2012 4 door and a built LJ. Will be selling the 2012. Just too nice to wheel. My biggest hate on the JK is those stupid wheel speed sensors. I have killed more of those stupid things than I care to count. The JKs are more comfortable. The JK interior is much nicer. The JK cruises better on the highway. The JK can clear bigger tires with less work. The JK steering setup is better. The JK can hold more cargo. The JK (4 door) can seat more folks comforably inside. All that said, I still like my LJ better.

I have jeeps. I do shit to them.
post #18 of 20 Old 02-02-2015, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Yes, I am pretty set on a Jk. I am currently working on a deal on a jeep built exactly the way I want and described. Since it will be driven mostly on highway, I would like to comfort and convenience of the JKU.

I have some things to sell in the mean time to fund this new toy lol.

Thanks all!
post #19 of 20 Old 02-02-2015, 07:32 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

I remember back in 06 when I saw an advertisement for the "new" 4-door 07 JK in a mag. I fell in love. Having owned and wheeled quite a few 4wd vehicles over the years including cj5's and cj7's, I decided to wait a year or two to see if any problems they had got fixed. In late 07 I went to a Jeep dealer and test drove a JKU. I honestly drove it about 3 blocks and then drove back to the dealership. After having driven the older 4 bys and experienced the tooth, kidney jarring rides the JKU was heaven. I ordered a fully loaded 08 Rubicon on August 07 and I picked it up February 08. Long wait back then. Long story short. The JK to me was comparable to driving my Suburban and there's nothing wrong or pussified about comfort. However, the more you mess with the suspension the more your comfort disappears.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
post #20 of 20 Old 02-07-2015, 02:30 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
I remember back in 06 when I saw an advertisement for the "new" 4-door 07 JK in a mag. I fell in love. Having owned and wheeled quite a few 4wd vehicles over the years including cj5's and cj7's, I decided to wait a year or two to see if any problems they had got fixed. In late 07 I went to a Jeep dealer and test drove a JKU. I honestly drove it about 3 blocks and then drove back to the dealership. After having driven the older 4 bys and experienced the tooth, kidney jarring rides the JKU was heaven. I ordered a fully loaded 08 Rubicon on August 07 and I picked it up February 08. Long wait back then. Long story short. The JK to me was comparable to driving my Suburban and there's nothing wrong or pussified about comfort. However, the more you mess with the suspension the more your comfort disappears.
Well said. The factory does a pretty good job on tuning the suspension for comfort. Unfortunately, performance and hardcore off road driving require mods and compromising comfort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode