2 dr to 4 dr? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 01-28-2015, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

2 dr to 4 dr?

Love my stock 2013 2dr Rubi urban commuter....it's a blast to drive, love rowing through the gears, and it's fairly impressive off-road.....so far, it's only been a few trips of light wheeling, limited crawling, but it does well......I like the idea of throwing on a small lift down the road, some 35's, and having a fun daily driver that can rock most trails on the weekend.....

Only issue, I have two small kiddos, and at 40, I have to crawl in the back seat to get them all buckled in the mornings.....and I like the added size and full door of a 4 door for safety.....the only challenge is the wheelbase of the unlimited would seem to support the need to an even larger tire and more work to run the same trails.....granted, always wanted 1 tons, but that is an expensive course of action.

Long story short, considering trading the base 2013 2 door rubi for a 2015 base unlimited 4 door rubi......everything else is alike, both manual, soft top....base rubi.....any thoughts appreciated....the 2 door is more fun to drive and less mods to do more offroad, but the 4 door is bigger, safer for rear passengers and much easier as a daily/child carrying commuter....really split....oh, and the 4 door is obviously a little more expensive.

2015 2dr Rubi, manual shift, windows, and door locks, love this thing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 01-28-2015, 06:15 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

I will remind you kind sir, the kiddos will grow up and none of that will matter. You have the tilt and tumble front seats. By the time you even start etching away at the additional debt you created for yourself, the two door will nearly be paid off. I had the same internal debate, but now my kids climb up the tires and into the back with the top off and use the weld on sliders to get in through the doors by themselves in my 2011 2 door. I'd keep it and move forward, and work towards a title sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #3 of 26 Old 01-28-2015, 06:34 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
I will remind you kind sir, the kiddos will grow up and none of that will matter. You have the tilt and tumble front seats. By the time you even start etching away at the additional debt you created for yourself, the two door will nearly be paid off. I had the same internal debate, but now my kids climb up the tires and into the back with the top off and use the weld on sliders to get in through the doors by themselves in my 2011 2 door. I'd keep it and move forward, and work towards a title sooner.
I have a 4 door 2015 Rubi and I love it. My kids are older and need more leg room and the 4 door gives them that but still not as much as the teenager would like. I'm not sure what trails you ride probably tougher ones than me but my Rubicon does just fine on the trails I ride and I'm still stock!

Tammy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 01-28-2015, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Perm View Post
Love my stock 2013 2dr Rubi urban commuter....it's a blast to drive, love rowing through the gears, and it's fairly impressive off-road.....so far, it's only been a few trips of light wheeling, limited crawling, but it does well......I like the idea of throwing on a small lift down the road, some 35's, and having a fun daily driver that can rock most trails on the weekend.....

Only issue, I have two small kiddos, and at 40, I have to crawl in the back seat to get them all buckled in the mornings.....and I like the added size and full door of a 4 door for safety.....the only challenge is the wheelbase of the unlimited would seem to support the need to an even larger tire and more work to run the same trails.....granted, always wanted 1 tons, but that is an expensive course of action.

Long story short, considering trading the base 2013 2 door rubi for a 2015 base unlimited 4 door rubi......everything else is alike, both manual, soft top....base rubi.....any thoughts appreciated....the 2 door is more fun to drive and less mods to do more offroad, but the 4 door is bigger, safer for rear passengers and much easier as a daily/child carrying commuter....really split....oh, and the 4 door is obviously a little more expensive.
If it weren't for your first paragraph then I might say "maybe better to go for the 4dr"... obviously some advantages. But with what you've said, I swear I think that someone like you will feel often times regretful that you got rid of a Jeep that you already REALLY enjoy.

Quote:
What this hep-cat said ^^^ 100%.

But I drive a Corolla so what the hell do I know... ?

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #5 of 26 Old 01-29-2015, 04:18 AM
Granite Guru

I made the switch from 2dr to 4dr not because of kiddos, but because of a dog, the need for larger interior cargo space, and the need for an auto trans (the missus just can't seem to grasp proper clutch usage).
There have been a few times I've missed the short wheelbase of my 2dr. Especially on trails where it's so easy to get the 4dr's belly down on the rocks.
But... it's been quite enjoyable to build the 4dr up, and having the longer wheelbase means I have to think about where I'm going when I'm offroad. It adds a bit of challenge to wheeling that I think is fun.

Yes, I sometimes regret the added debt...but the benefits of having the 4dr keep that regret to a minimum.
you can still pull all the doors and the top.
post #6 of 26 Old 01-29-2015, 04:45 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I went from a TJ to a 4dr JK.

Not the same exact situation as you but similar. I don't "regret" the swap. You would like the extra room but you are correct, it will take a little more to make it as capable as your 2dr. I had 35's on my TJ and now 37's on my 4dr. I think you would like either one on the trail but it does take some getting use to the size.

On the other hand...I do catch myself looking at LJ's for sale an awful lot. I just have too much invested in my 4dr to sell

If you love your 2dr right now, I would say keep it, deal with the little ones for now and as JKCTAZ said, get it paid off. Always a good thing.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 26 Old 01-29-2015, 05:37 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

"and I like the added size and full door of a 4 door for safety....."

What JKCTAZ said...and as far as this ^^^^ A lot of people say the full door is safer than the half door and the 4 door is safer than the 2 door

But I just dont see it...

sure there is one or 2 situations that the (full and/or 4 door)
may have a small safty advantage...But I dont see how it would make that much difference in your everyday "normal" kind of accident...

But I am no engineer...Just my 02

Oh and 4 Doors arnt real Jeeps

How I LEARNED TO STOP GIVING A SHIT AND LOVE MINDLESS SELF INDULGENCE

Its time to reevaluate the way we coddle the future generation. Making mistakes and getting hurt is how you grow. Teaching kids to fear Pop Tarts is how you promote xenophobia. Lets get it together, America.
post #8 of 26 Old 01-29-2015, 10:34 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

I say stick with a 2dr the kids will be fine

Jason

Or for $15K you can do this...

10" Stretch

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #9 of 26 Old 01-29-2015, 10:37 AM
Rock God

I have had Jeeps for nearly the last 20 years, YJ, TJ and now JK. My JK is a 4 door and I love it. Would likely never replace with a two door. Space, convenience, kids . There is no shame in owning a 4 door.
post #10 of 26 Old 01-29-2015, 10:44 AM
Granite Guru

Same boat with 2 kids and wouldn't trade the 4 door for anything. On a camping trip I can carry the family and our gear instead of the family or our gear.

2015 JKU Rubi
Tank with a list of things I need to start doing to it
Sold - 2011 JKU
Sold - 05 WK
Sold - 02 WJ
post #11 of 26 Old 01-29-2015, 02:58 PM
Granite Guru

When I got my JK I took my daughter with me. She was 6 at the time. Went for a test drive in a 2 door and she was miserable in the back seat. No leg room at all for her. This made my mind up to get the 4 door. She's a very tall 9 year old now. I can't imagine he even fitting at all in a 2 door. She goes everywhere with me. Daddy's girl. Very glad I made the 4 door choice.

'12 White JKUR

Rugged Ridge Modular XD bumper w/9500 winch
2 1/2 inch Mopar Lift
35" Pitbull tires
post #12 of 26 Old 02-01-2015, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the input, going to stick with the 2dr for now....can wheel stock for a little longer, save money for the kids.....right now, they are just 3 and 1 year old, and we only ride in it a few miles on the way to school/daycare in the morning....I like the smaller rig for wheeling, will do 35's later and likely get a tow rig/family truck down the road when it grows up.....cheaper route wins for the time being.

THANKS for weighing in, lots of good input here for anyone with the same question.

post #13 of 26 Old 02-01-2015, 01:36 PM
Granite Guru

Have you seen the price tag on a 4 door Rubi? And than add 10-15k in mods

I'll stick to my 2 door thanks. Everyone else did fine with 2 doors for years before the JKU came along.

All of a sudden, a 6 year old doesn't have enough legroom. Lol.

Man up pussies. It's a Jeep not a minivan.
post #14 of 26 Old 02-01-2015, 01:59 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtljeep View Post
Have you seen the price tag on a 4 door Rubi? And than add 10-15k in mods

I'll stick to my 2 door thanks. Everyone else did fine with 2 doors for years before the JKU came along.

I'm glad you find my opinion so funny. FYI, I had my daughter in my Scrambler with me too, but these days I tend to need a top and a heater in my vehicle since we moved up north. The other great thing about the 4 door is that you can get a ton of gear in it. We spend a lot of time in the mountains and this is an absolute must have for my family.

Yeah, I buy my vehicles based on the needs of my family. Not to look cool on the interwebs for cool guys like you.

'12 White JKUR

Rugged Ridge Modular XD bumper w/9500 winch
2 1/2 inch Mopar Lift
35" Pitbull tires
post #15 of 26 Old 02-01-2015, 02:33 PM
Granite Guru

Give it time

I sat in the backseat of my '08 2 door Rubi one time before I pulled it out and threw it into storage. I now have a '14 JKUR and love it. I'd say once your kids get out of child seats they're gonna need more room. But maybe by that time your 2 door will be paid off, you can start modding it and get on the easy payment plan treadmill for an Unlimited.
post #16 of 26 Old 02-01-2015, 02:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

It isn't so much that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so many things that aren't so.― Ronald Reagan
post #17 of 26 Old 02-01-2015, 04:00 PM
Granite Guru

It seems like everyone is trying to justify buying a 4 door.

So maybe t's a little harder to get kids in but it's easily done.

It's not about being cool but in the tight woods up here, i'll take a 2 door over a 4 door anyday. Even if it means a little extra work gettin the kids in.
post #18 of 26 Old 02-01-2015, 04:38 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

The thing is, with a 2011 and up that has the tilt n tumble seats this really isn't a big deal. I have no problem with getting 6 and 8 year old in and out. My 8 yo girl is 4 foot 3 inches and she has spider legs. No issues with leg room. I'm not sure why everyone makes a big deal out of this. The obvious advantage of the four door is storage space and slightly more stability in off camber situations. Flip side, the two door will kick ass on tight trails and break over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #19 of 26 Old 02-01-2015, 04:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

It's not about being cool but in the tight woods up here, i'll take a 2 door over a 4 door anyday. Even if it means a little extra work gettin the kids in.
Full disclosure, wife has a 4 door. I like it, but prefer my 2 door.

It isn't so much that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so many things that aren't so.― Ronald Reagan
post #20 of 26 Old 02-01-2015, 05:15 PM
CalmerThanYouAre

I have three little ones so the JKU is great. If I buy another it'll be a 4dr as I like the extra storage space which I use often. Enjoy your Jeep.

I support the military, fiscal responsibility, Hemp, legalization of Marijuana over 21, smaller government and the Bill of Rights.

NSA: The only part of the government that actually listens.
post #21 of 26 Old 02-01-2015, 06:38 PM
Granite Guru

3 kids = 4 door by default since the 2 door can only seat 2 in the back.

Depending on your terrain, a 4 door might have an advantage but I wouldn't try and justify the huge cost of trading in a built up 2 door for a new JKU just because of it being easier to get the kids in.

Let's face it, if we wanted easy, we'd keep stock tires, not bother with a winch and stay on pavement.

Just airing down is alot more work than throwing kids in the back seat.

I have been thinking about the lack of cargo space and will probably build a hitch carrier with a platform that extends about half way up the tailgate. I don't like roof racks because the center of gravity is too high. I even notice a difference with the hardtop on.
post #22 of 26 Old 02-04-2015, 07:56 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
The thing is, with a 2011 and up that has the tilt n tumble seats this really isn't a big deal. I have no problem with getting 6 and 8 year old in and out. My 8 yo girl is 4 foot 3 inches and she has spider legs. No issues with leg room. I'm not sure why everyone makes a big deal out of this. The obvious advantage of the four door is storage space and slightly more stability in off camber situations. Flip side, the two door will kick ass on tight trails and break over.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck ron View Post
It's not about being a pussy! When you have two boys one who is taller than you and the other growing like a weed, not 6 and 8 anymore, but teenagers a two door is not an option for leg room. Next time you wheel in the backseat while your kids ride up front. We are all just giving our opinions and some of us like the 4 door. And 4 doors do just great out on the trails!

Tammy
post #23 of 26 Old 02-04-2015, 08:10 AM
Granite Guru

I agree a 4 door is more practical however depending on what your actual usage is, it might be a better compromise to keep the 2 door and deal with the issues that come with it and every other Jeep in history versus spending all the extra money to justify a 4 door just because there's more room.

I grew up in the back seat of Jeeps for my whole youth and never complained. From a CJ-7, YJ to a TJ. Then again, there wasn't an option out there

I often wheel with JKU's and in our terrain, the JK's and TJ's have a definite advantage. The 4 door guys work alot harder and I've seen them get hung up and rip off rear fenders. I will take the hassle of loading the kids in the back versus having to negotiate our tight trails with an extended wheelbase.

It all depends on your terrain. I'm sure there are alot of places out west where a JKU is better than a JK.

When I go wheeling, I go to relax and have fun. In our woods, a short stumpy wheelbase is more fun and can fit better between the trees.

I only do day trips and have no problem hauling everything I need. If you plan on going on multi day trips or camping, I can definitely see an advantage with a JKU.

As stated in previous posts, when you sell your Jeep, you can't expect to get your money back for what you invested in it so you might as well use it.

I have seen some pretty cool offroad trailer setups and it might be something to look into for the times when you need to haul alot of gear with the family. Might be a good alternative compared to starting all over again with a JKU

Last edited by Mtljeep; 02-04-2015 at 08:22 AM.
post #24 of 26 Old 02-16-2015, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

We went with the 3rd option, LOL

Traded in my 13 for a new 15.......same exact 2 door rubi, manual tranny and everything pretty much, went from Commando to Tank.....got a great deal on the trade, financed $4k less than I did on the other rubi, and I prefer the Tank color....couldn't be happier....

We actually did a 2 car deal....wife traded her Durango for a Ram.....let her drive a new Lonestar with remote start, 8 inch screen, and several goodies and she loves it....going to wheel the rubi stock for another couple of years.....I have a short commute, so when we wear out the stockers, going with 35's, get a trailer and we already have a tow rig

post #25 of 26 Old 02-16-2015, 09:40 PM
Granite Guru

Haha - same thing here 2 door '13 JK and wife has a '13 Ram crew cab. The Ram is far too big for off-road but has plenty of room for the 3 teenagers we have at home (the oldest is already out of the house and serving her country at Spangdahlem AFB). If we really need to take everyone with us when we go off-road/camping then we still have my old '04 WJ (grand cherokee) which works just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode