2007 vs. other years for complete re-build - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 01-19-2015, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

2007 vs. other years for complete re-build

Im trying to help my brother in law do a big build on a JK Unlimited(Motech LS swap, Atlas, D60's, Metal Cloak lift, 37's, armor, etc...) and I am suggesting we look for a cheap 07 that is in decent shape, but maybe high mileage. We are also planning on Katzkin leather seats and some type of a Nav based radio in the build.

With the goal of swapping basically all the drive train, axles and suspension for new, is there any major differences between an 07 and a later? I know in 2011 the interior changed to the current interior, but thats about the only major change to the basic JK I know of. Im not counting the change from the 3.8 to the 3.6 because the motor and trans is getting swapped(he's dead set on this aspect so no need to even debate 3.8 vs. 3.6 or that the 3.6 is good enough, etc...).

Ive got a 14 Rubi Unlimited so I am familiar with JK's, just didnt know if there were any major changes(besides interior) that would push me to look at an 08, 09, 10, etc... over a cheap 07.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-19-2015, 09:07 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I believe that drive train and interior is the only difference. I'd look for something that has a blown up engine regardless of year.

2012 JKU Rubicon - Build Thread -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-19-2015, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
I believe that drive train and interior is the only difference. I'd look for something that has a blown up engine regardless of year.
Thats what i was thinking, just wasnt sure if I was over looking something.

I know steering boxes changed, but I believe we are going to go with the full PSC hydro assist setup including one of their replacement boxes, so not a big deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-19-2015, 09:28 AM
JKowners Vendor

I had to make the same decision except I had a '07 that was already modded. After seeing the '11's I wanted the new interior. So found a '11 that had good mods done already, some that I could remove and sell to recoup costs.

One reason I went to a '11 rather than a 12 or newer was the engine, you really can't give away a 3.6, just ask Robbie at Motec but their is a market for the 3.8's. Besides they are both POS IMO.

Now to get time to put in the '12lcp-6l80e that's been at my shop for 2 years.

Dealer for: MoTech, Atlas, Dynatrac, Rock Krawler, ORO, Currie, Poison Spyder, Bilstein, Fox, SWAY-A-WAY, Ridid, Adams and Tom Woods DS's. And much more!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-19-2015, 10:02 AM
JKowners Vendor

There is no TPMS on the 07 either. Just one less electronic bug to work your way through if you doing any kind of major swaps...

RK
post #6 of 8 Old 01-19-2015, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension View Post
There is no TPMS on the 07 either. Just one less electronic bug to work your way through if you doing any kind of major swaps...

RK
excellent, but I dont think is a big deal. Will likely be running an Aeroforce gauge so could turn that off anyway.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-20-2015, 04:34 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

might also consider looking for a 2wd unlimited at that. should be cheaper... and since you're going to replace everything anyway, why waste money? you could even use the dead front axle as a base for a trailer axle later.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
post #8 of 8 Old 01-23-2015, 04:40 PM

Some of the things I've noticed with my 2007:
Windows on the hard top are a bit smaller
No hard top latch in the front center for the freedom panels, and the footman loop is moved over slightly.
Soft top factory door surrounds (for like 2007-2009? idk) aren't spring loaded and you have to fold the soft top under the surrounds, rather than having a nice and easy cable
3.8l instead of 3.6l
4 speed auto instead of 5 speed auto
No TPMS (2007 only)
There were 2wd models
Some had a D35 rear axle, but I believe this was only the early 2007's and only the 2 door x model, so that doesn't apply to you i guess.
I think that's basically it though. Most of this you sound like you are replacing anyway so *shrug*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode