Used Rubicon Dana 44's - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 01-15-2015, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Used Rubicon Dana 44's

Hi guys. Need some expert advice.

I have a '13 JK Sport and was planning on an Aussie locker up front with chromoly axle shafts, C gussets and sleeves. Will leave the stock limited slip in the rear.

Someone offered me a set of used 2008 Rubicon Dana 44's with lockers for 2300$

If I go that route, I will change the bearings, ball joints and it would be easy to do a truss and gussets since the axles are off the Jeep.

I know alot of you are going to 1 tons or 60's. The places I wheel are pretty easy on equipment seeing as I made it through all summer on 37's with a stock Dana 30 up front. I went easy but there were places where TJ's with 33's and lockers were making it through and I wasn't.

I don't have alot of money to put into the Jeep. Baby on the way- hence the Aussie up front.

Is it worth the money to invest in the used 44's or should I just get an auto locker for now and eventually down the road invest in Dana 60's with ARB's?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-15-2015, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

The main thing that I would have concerns with about the used 44s is if something is already bent... mainly front "C's" or rear flange. Bearings and ball-joints would be another concern but you said you would address those so that's not a huge deal one way or another.

If it was me and I was seriously thinking that I would have the funds to do a d60 upgrade in the future, then I would probably pass on the 44's.

From reading your words it sounds to me as if you yourself feel as if you'll be okay on your current set-up with an added locker and some upgrades. Add ball-joints and new hub bearings ( if needed) to your current d30 and I see no reason why you would have much issue lightly wheeling on it. If you're going to add chromoly shafts then you'll have trail-spares to boot.

If you're like me then you sometimes find things for sale at a decent price and feel inclined to want to buy... even if not absolutely necessary. This kind of seems like the position that you might be in currently.

Honestly.. I think I'd pass on the 44's, beef up the 30's, and don't do any crazy wheeling until you get those tons or 60's.

New baby/ saving money would be my main priority at this point in time.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #3 of 5 Old 01-15-2015, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

You hit the nail on the head. Seems like a good deal but in my situation not really needed. Everyone likes to put down the D30 but it's not a bad axle if beefed up and wheeled within it's limits.

The other thing is that there isn't a big market for used D30/44 combo so I can't plan on getting money back for that.

I had auto lockers in a Samurai and I really enjoyed the fact they unlock in turns. Fully locked, I feel like I would loose the tight turning radius of a 2 door. I run alot of heavy woods and tight trails. Some rocks but I'm not afraid to ease of the gas if I start spinning. There's always a tree around to anchor a winch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-16-2015, 07:00 PM
Wheeler

Whats the biggest tire size you plan on running?

If I was to stay with 37s, I'd get the D44 and upgrade them as needed/funds allow it. I wouldn't put 1100-1200$ in shafts and locker on a D30 and I wouldn't spend money on D60. You won't break JK D44 with 37s on a 2doors.

2300$ for rubi D44 is a really good price. So if one day you decide to go one-tons, you'll be able to sell both D44 for the price you paid. You won't lose money with that. As for your D30/D44, if you were to sell them, even with shafts and a locker in the 30 you won't even get what you paid for the shafts.

P.S.: If you decide to go with rubi D44, keep your D30/D44. If you get in an accident with your JK and the insurance co decide to scrap it, you'll be able to get your D44 back and put the 30/44 under the jeep before it goes to the scrapyard.

'09 JK Unlimited Rubicon

Eh.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-17-2015, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Not planning on bigger than 37's.

2300$ could be a good deal if nothing is bent or broken and the lockers work. It has probably been sitting outside for a while so who knows.

I think I will go with an Aussie locker up front and gussets for now. If I break an axle I'll buy chromoly shafts and truss it. I'd rather gamble on 400$ than 2300$ of someone else's junk.

I'll be in over 3500$ with a truss installed, new bearings, ball joints etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode