Anyone tow a motorcycle on a trailer? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 01-14-2015, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Anyone tow a motorcycle on a trailer with their JK?

I live in Atlanta and drive down to Daytona 4 or 5 times a year to hangout for long weekends at my cousin's house. I'd like to be able to take my Harley with me and have been thinking about getting a 5x8 landscape trailer or possibly an enclosed trailer.

Harley Fatboy Lo weighs 750lbs
Landscape Trailer weighs 400lbs
Enclosed trailer weighs 840lbs

I'm leaning towards the landscape trailer because I can get one for under $600 and don't want to invest $1800 in an enclosed trailer. For you guys that have towed with your JK with the Pentastar, let me know how you think 1200 to 1600 pounds will tow.

I have 35's and 4.10's and it will be all highway towing.

Name:  00z0z_5MHbUmbwv7a_600x450.jpg
Views: 11062
Size:  37.3 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-01-14 at 3.16.07 PM.png
Views: 6961
Size:  781.0 KB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles

Last edited by BigMike; 01-14-2015 at 12:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-15-2015, 05:01 AM
Wheeler

I tow a 6x10 utility trailer with 2 dirt bikes on a regular basis. No problem running 70-75 on the highway. Also on 35s with 4.10s

2012 JKUR, auto, tons, a little lift, 4Ds, not much else
post #3 of 21 Old 01-15-2015, 05:02 AM
Granite Guru

Not sure if this will help much, but I used to tow a 1995 Kawasaki GPZ1100 on a landscape trailer all the time using my 2007 2-door, 33" tires, 4.10 gears.
Bike=600lbs
trailer=600lbs (full steel deck, not steel mesh).
The truck pulled it just fine, and this was going up into the Adirondack Park.

you should be ok with all highway driving, especially since you have the stronger motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 01-15-2015, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks guys, great info.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #5 of 21 Old 01-15-2015, 07:47 AM
Wheeler

I definitely wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on either trailer. While I have the 3.8 in my 2 door (w/ 3.73's), I frequently load up a 6x10 with 4 dirt bikes, fuel, and gear. You'll feel the trailer behind you going over bumps and stuff, but your jeep should still pull either with no issues. I say go for it.

Now as far as the debate between the utility trailer and enclosed trailer, I do have to mention that having a lockable enclosed trailer can become convenient in other ways. For example, I store my bikes in it during the winter to free up garage space (assuming you have a secure place to store the trailer and/or a need for garage space). It's always nice to have an extra means of secure storage...just my .02.

2010 Mountain Edition (2dr)
Teraflex leveling kit, 33x12.50x17 KM2s, M/T Classic III Wheels, VKS Stubby Bumper

2001 TJ
Retired for now...
post #6 of 21 Old 01-15-2015, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks for the info BLKMTN

I'm thinking about another option as well. Buying an M1101 Humvee trailer and making it a combo Camping Trailer with a rooftop tent and motorcycle hauler.

, Granite,
post #7 of 21 Old 01-15-2015, 08:52 AM
JTB
Wheeler

Only issue with the military trailer is the height and getting a heavy bike up the ramp. Also is that long enough to fit the Harley? I'd lean towards the enclosed trailer. Bike stays clean and out of sight. Also they come in handy for large items you may buy, couch, TV, etc.
post #8 of 21 Old 01-15-2015, 08:54 AM
Rock God

Without your cousin's house to hang out at, the difference in choice of trailers for motorcycles is whether it looks like candy to a thief.
Can't see it in an enclosed, but an enclosed can have its own tell-tales, like a ramp door. Also, no bike stickers on the outside.

Given no security issues, there is the weather. Cargo isn't exposed in an enclosed, not to mention you don't have to be so anal about how it gets strapped down. It also makes for convenient human cover from sun/rain/etc.

If you think you might venture to far off lands other than your cousin's, get an enclosed. There are just too many downsides to a garden trailer.
post #9 of 21 Old 01-15-2015, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTB View Post
Only issue with the military trailer is the height and getting a heavy bike up the ramp. Also is that long enough to fit the Harley? I'd lean towards the enclosed trailer. Bike stays clean and out of sight. Also they come in handy for large items you may buy, couch, TV, etc.
The bike will fit in the back with the tailgate down. I have a concern about loading the Harley but I think with the proper setup it wouldn't be a problem.

I was also thinking of using the enclosed trailer and making it into a camper for wheeling trips to offroad parks and just setting up in the parking lot. A lot of them have hookups and I could mount a rooftop A/C unit.

, Granite,
post #10 of 21 Old 01-15-2015, 12:08 PM
Rock God

The M1101/M1102 trailers do sit pretty high but a smaller/lighter set of tires and wheels would help lower it and shed some weight. 1 benefit you'll get from the M1101/1102 trailer is the surge brakes. The landscape trailer won't have brakes. The M1101/1102 trailers do have plenty of tie down loops in them on the floor.

I wouldn't want to load a Harley in an M1101/1102 with it sitting as high as they do and lack of breakover angle on the Harley. You'd need one hell of a set of long ramps or a loading dock to get the bike in.
post #11 of 21 Old 01-19-2015, 08:23 AM
Granite Guru

First I have to get this out of the way, Only a HD rider would be looking to tow his motorcycle in the first place. Sorry, but I had to. I ride a Jap bike and get a plethora of shit from HD riders who barely ride.

Now that that's out of the way. I have an 08 JK with the gutless 3.8L V6 and auto transmission. When it still had 4.10's and 35" KM2's I would regularly tow this setup around the CO mountains an it did just fine. No OD use on the highways but it really wasn't any more gutless than usual.

The two dirt bikes combined weigh around 500lbs, maybe a bit more. I know the TTR is pretty porkly and the XR wasn't a whole lot lighter. I also have a tent, easy up, fuel cans, coolers, chairs, and a bunch of other crap on the trailer. I'd say the entire setup was at least 1000lbs and at most 1500lbs. It was heavy enough that after going really fast down some dirt roads and hitting a bunch of washouts I actually bent the tongue a bit on the trailer. Notice how the trailer is leaning down towards the Jeep, it wasn't like that at the start of the trip. I wound up building a new tongue that ran the full beam of the trailer using 2.25 x 2.25 boxed tubing.

The trailer started life as a HF fold up trailer, but its close to a decade old and beat to hell so it was due a major overhaul.

I would get the utility style trailer myself as it is really useful for a lot of things. I use mine all the time as I no longer have a truck. Its great for hauling materials and furniture, not having it enclosed makes it easier to move around the load and tie it down.

Americans can sleep peaceably at night because US Soldiers stand ready to fight on their behalf

2008 Unlimited Rubicon: 37's, 3" Synergy Springs, Artec trusses, 5.38's, Winch, PSC/Poly Cage, Bumpers, TNT Alum belly skids, and other doodads
post #12 of 21 Old 01-19-2015, 08:28 AM
Granite Guru

I work on military equipment full time and those M1101 trailers are pretty sweet but they are tall as hell. I for one wouldn't want to use it to tow a motorcycle with. Not only would loading and unloading be a real chore, but that puts a lot of weight up really high.

Americans can sleep peaceably at night because US Soldiers stand ready to fight on their behalf

2008 Unlimited Rubicon: 37's, 3" Synergy Springs, Artec trusses, 5.38's, Winch, PSC/Poly Cage, Bumpers, TNT Alum belly skids, and other doodads
post #13 of 21 Old 01-20-2015, 04:39 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

i have a 7x16 landscaping trailer. just a tip. get only the size you need. go bigger and you get tempted to put other things on it you shouldnt...

if you do get a trailer with a mesh ramp.... i suggest just using a standard bike ramp and not using the mesh ramp. it may inspire a little more confidence in loading and unloading, that ramp acts as a parachute at road speeds. granted mine is pretty dang large... but its still a huge drag. i typically take the ramp off unless i need it for loading.

i currently have a popup camper frame that i am going to convert to a bike hauler. just havent really started on it, beyond knocking the camper off the frame.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
post #14 of 21 Old 01-20-2015, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks for all of the info guys.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick up a 4x8 Landscape trailer for $450. A big trailer place up the street just got in 150 of them and looking to move them out. They're made right here in GA.

I should have prefaced this thread and mentioned that I've done the long bike trips from Atlanta to Sturgis, and Milwaukee, and Myrtle Beach, Daytona, etc. I just want to have my Jeep and bike for the best of both worlds.

, Granite,
post #15 of 21 Old 01-20-2015, 05:00 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

theres nothing like trailering for comfort, setting up a "home base" and doing rides with a base camp.

there is a trailer place on Hwy41 just north of Adel that makes trailers. i've always thought the guy was a little over priced myself.... but they are local.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
post #16 of 21 Old 01-20-2015, 08:42 AM
Granite Guru

If you buy a trailer with the extruded metal flooring you will likely need to weld in some support under the flooring. Especially if you are going to haul a heavy bike like a Harley. I had my Triumph Daytona take a spill on my trailer because the extruded metal under the front tire deformed under pressure once the trailering straps were tightened. Welded some angle iron for support in the right places and no more problems. Kind of wish I'd gone with a wood floor, but that has its own problems. If your dealer has any tilt bed trailer you might look at those. That's what I have and it super easy to load and unload bikes and atvs. Only downside is there is no gate/barrier at the rear to prevent your load from exiting the trailer if it becomes loose. Good luck.

2014 Rubicon Unlimited with Sponge Bob Squarepants Floor Mats.

Get your FREE college education here

Last edited by soonerfan85; 01-20-2015 at 08:46 AM.
post #17 of 21 Old 01-20-2015, 08:53 AM
Granite Guru

[QUOTE=Dutch;3077553]First I have to get this out of the way, Only a HD rider would be looking to tow his motorcycle in the first place. Sorry, but I had to. I ride a Jap bike and get a plethora of shit from HD riders who barely ride.

Trailering is a necessity for most cruisers as it allows you more time to polish the chrome when you reach the bike rally! Just kidding. Never owned a big cruiser because 1) I'd never be able to pick it up if layed down 2) I like to ride at least the speed limit 3) I don't like riding in groups larger than 2 or 3, and finally 4) I'd get tired of blipping the throttle every time I stop in traffic.

2014 Rubicon Unlimited with Sponge Bob Squarepants Floor Mats.

Get your FREE college education here

Last edited by soonerfan85; 01-20-2015 at 09:24 AM.
post #18 of 21 Old 01-20-2015, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfan85 View Post
If you buy a trailer with the extruded metal flooring you will likely need to weld in some support under the flooring.
This 4x8 has a PT Wood floor. Good to know though about the expanded metal. Thanks.

http://www.countryboy-trailers.com/

, Granite,
post #19 of 21 Old 01-20-2015, 12:13 PM
Rock God

Garage

I've used Dad's 12' Mission aluminum trailer for towing bikes and 4 wheelers. It's pretty pimp cause it has the wheel chock locks in the floor and came with the chocks themselves that hold the front tire. If you were doing a considerable amount of towing with the bike, something like that makes it a shit load easier, and you're not running straps all over the bars. Plus, the tailgate is the ramp.

I tow it with my Jeep (2dr, 3.8l, 6 speed with 4.10's) and it's fine. Just make sure you orient the bike properly on the trailer. I've had to stop and move it around a little just to make it ride perfect. It was fine before but I was a little light on the tongue. After I did that it moved it fine.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #20 of 21 Old 01-20-2015, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Door View Post
I've used Dad's 12' Mission aluminum trailer for towing bikes and 4 wheelers. It's pretty pimp cause it has the wheel chock locks in the floor and came with the chocks themselves that hold the front tire. If you were doing a considerable amount of towing with the bike, something like that makes it a shit load easier, and you're not running straps all over the bars. Plus, the tailgate is the ramp.

I tow it with my Jeep (2dr, 3.8l, 6 speed with 4.10's) and it's fine. Just make sure you orient the bike properly on the trailer. I've had to stop and move it around a little just to make it ride perfect. It was fine before but I was a little light on the tongue. After I did that it moved it fine.
Damn that is a nice trailer. I looked at a couple of aluminum trailers but I'll be lucky to use it 5 times a year and really want to spend the money on other things. I figure I will also use the trailer to haul stuff locally once in a while. I miss not having a pickup truck.

, Granite,
post #21 of 21 Old 01-20-2015, 03:13 PM
Rock God

Garage

Oh, that trailer gets moved around a little...but I don't have a truck either (just my Jeep) and my dad bought a Liberty, so he doesn't...and damn is that trailer ever handy. I've moved tires (5 wheels and tires, which looked funny just thrown in there), furniture, appliances, garbage, bikes, 4 wheelers, building supplies... You'll probably end up using it a lot more than you think once you have it. Hell I never try and sardine anything into my Jeep anymore, I just think "ah fuck it I'll just get the trailer". But dad's tows really nicely too. The trailer itself is nice and light, but it's also built REALLY well and it's sturdy.

Plus, if you take the time to look around, you'd be surprised at the deals. Dad got his from my uncle, who was buying an enclosed trailer for his bikes. My uncle was actually going to trade in the aluminum for the enclosed...but the dealer low balled him on the trade in...so he sold it to dad for the trade in value. It was a lot less than you'd think.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan

Last edited by 2Door; 01-20-2015 at 03:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode