Ksport 8 piston Big Brake Kit - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 01-13-2015, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Ksport 8 piston Big Brake Kit

Saw these Big Ass Brakes and they look interesting. Anyone running them? Feedback...

http://ksportusa.com/b2c/proddetail....=BKJP010-841SO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

JOIN THE NRA NOW!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 01-13-2015, 02:25 PM
Rock God

Probably require 18" wheels.
post #3 of 34 Old 01-13-2015, 03:17 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfred View Post
Probably require 18" wheels.
I just called them and spoke to one of their sales guys. He said that an 18" rim would guarantee that they fit. I asked if the 4.5" of backspacing on a 17" would work and he wasn't sure, but is going to email me a template to check for fitment. I'll report back when I figgure this out in the name of jeep science.

2012 JKU Rubicon - Build Thread -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 01-13-2015, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Good job, sounds good!

JOIN THE NRA NOW!

post #5 of 34 Old 01-14-2015, 03:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Over 2k

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #6 of 34 Old 01-14-2015, 04:39 AM
Wheeler

Dynatrac just came out with their brake upgrade for the JK both front and rear, it uses the stock calipers and adds bigger rotors using relocation brackets. Not a terrible price, $995 for brackets, larger rotors, and pads. One benefit is no bleeding of the lines and easily reversible.

http://www.northridge4x4.com/dynatra...-jk44-2x1125-a

One thing to note is if you have stock wheels you need wheel spacers, I asked what the minimum back space was, but they did not have a definitive answer.
post #7 of 34 Old 01-14-2015, 09:40 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I would check out the BR6 HD. Brake upgrade thread as well. Someone has found a way to get the J8 BR6 brakes in North amreica. They are suppose to be export only but loopholes have been found.

2012 JKU Rubicon - Build Thread -
post #8 of 34 Old 01-14-2015, 03:11 PM
Rock God

that's crazy! i did factory duel piston with 13" rotors $300 for my front. looking at best way of doing rear
post #9 of 34 Old 01-14-2015, 03:18 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by md_rubi View Post
that's crazy! i did factory duel piston with 13" rotors $300 for my front. looking at best way of doing rear
Info on this?
post #10 of 34 Old 01-14-2015, 04:18 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by espi View Post
Info on this?
ram1500 calipers and custom brackets
post #11 of 34 Old 01-14-2015, 04:36 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Quote:
Info on this?
ram1500 calipers and custom brackets
Key here is custom brackets.
post #12 of 34 Old 01-14-2015, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

The real question is if those calipers will fit in a TR 17" rim with 4.5" of bs.

JOIN THE NRA NOW!

post #13 of 34 Old 01-14-2015, 10:54 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Key here is custom brackets.
yup but it's not costing over $1000. :-)
post #14 of 34 Old 01-15-2015, 04:19 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
yup but it's not costing over $1000. :-)
Agreed, but you are paying for the name / engineering. Plus if something happens to your relocation bracket who is going to cover it. Certain parts I would be weary about getting custom with no one backing them.

The cost is high, but It really is not astronomical and for those of us who can't weld, and do not have access to machine shops. It is nice to have a bolt on option. That does not require a new master cylinder or bleeding the brakes.

The problem I have with moving to dual piston or different calipers is that now you need to ensure the fluid dynamics are very similar and if not you need to start upgrading more parts to fix it thus spending more money.

The kit comes with custom rotors/pads and custom brackets for both front and rear.

At the end of the day something is only worth what someone is willing to spend on them.
post #15 of 34 Old 01-15-2015, 05:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Certain parts I would be weary about getting custom with no one backing them.
This was the primary reason Amazonica went with the BR6 parts, rather than the Teraflex BBK. Her reasonng was Chrysler would most likely have stock where an aftermarket outfit, maybe not. I really wouldn't worry too much about either Dynatrac or Teraflex folding any time soon. The Ram 1500 option is a good one as well, provided you or a local machine shop can fabricate the required caliper support.

The TF BBK caliper is essentially same as the Ram 1500, uses the same pads. The rotor specs do not as I recall match up exactly.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #16 of 34 Old 01-15-2015, 05:36 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
This was the primary reason Amazonica went with the BR6 parts, rather than the Teraflex BBK. Her reasonng was Chrysler would most likely have stock where an aftermarket outfit, maybe not. I really wouldn't worry too much about either Dynatrac or Teraflex folding any time soon. The Ram 1500 option is a good one as well, provided you or a local machine shop can fabricate the required caliper support.

The TF BBK caliper is essentially same as the Ram 1500, uses the same pads. The rotor specs do not as I recall match up exactly.
My plan was to do the BR6 upgrade, but the Dynatrac upgrade eliminates the need to change out the calipers. I was following that thread closely and someone finally capitalized on using the stock calipers engineering a bracket and rotors that will work. Like I said its nice to have a bolt on option. BTW I have access to a machine shop, I would just rather purchase the item rather then be in a situation where I have something made and it doesn't fit right and I have to reassembly my stock setup and have it modified. Its a convenience thing.

I renew my registration online even though it costs me an extra 5 dollars because I do not want to stand in line at the DMV.

For me Time is money and I just do not have the time any more.
post #17 of 34 Old 01-15-2015, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Hey guys dont mean to be a dick but this thread is for the Ksport BBK. If you want to talk about Ram 1500 or any other cheap ass brakes make a thread about it or find one, im sure there is at least 2 or 300 threads about it on this forum and others.

JOIN THE NRA NOW!

post #18 of 34 Old 01-15-2015, 02:56 PM
Rock God

I'll bring it back on topic...

I think it's misleading to call it an 8 piston kit.
Yeah, it has 8 pistons...between two calipers.
It's like saying the stocks are twin piston calipers.

Full-floating discs?
Nope. They're semi-floating.
For our purposes, either is unnecessary and merely provides NOT easily cleaned nooks and crannies that will collect grundge, potentially defeating their "floating" function.

Exposed cross-over tube for brake fluid?
With their supposed CAD/CNC abilities, I'd think they could design it with an internal passageway.

So, for $2100?
Not me, thanks.
post #19 of 34 Old 01-15-2015, 03:07 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfred View Post
I'll bring it back on topic...

I think it's misleading to call it an 8 piston kit.
Yeah, it has 8 pistons...between two calipers.
It's like saying the stocks are twin piston calipers.

Full-floating discs?
Nope. They're semi-floating.
For our purposes, either is unnecessary and merely provides NOT easily cleaned nooks and crannies that will collect grundge, potentially defeating their "floating" function.

Exposed cross-over tube for brake fluid?
With their supposed CAD/CNC abilities, I'd think they could design it with an internal passageway.

So, for $2100?
Not me, thanks.
Wilwood and other 4 piston caliper setups often have a crossover tube, so I don't think that's a big deal, if it was internal the caliper would probably be larger and an even bigger rim would be required. Agree on the rest though, mostly marketing hype/exaggerations to confuse buyers.

Jeepless
post #20 of 34 Old 01-15-2015, 03:26 PM
Granite Guru

I'll put my $0.02 in. After years in the racing scene, these would be awesome if you where on a pavement track doing 100+ MPH. I can't help but ask:

1. who needs a brake system that cost $2,100?

2. I also have to ask why anyone would want a slotted rotor in an environment like most people wheel in?

Average wheel size for most people on this site and others (unless your crawlin malls) is between 15-17 in wheels. If I need to run a 18-20 inch rim to fit these..... I'm not wheeling
post #21 of 34 Old 01-15-2015, 03:39 PM
Rock God

Understand about the tube...was just trying to suggest their MFG-ing capabilities might need to distinguish themselves from the competition.

If I were to jump into the caliper business, I'd be sure to provide something no one else is making cuz, damn, how you gonna beat Baer, Brembo or Willwood?
post #22 of 34 Old 01-15-2015, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

hey, funfred.....my body and mind sorta recall the '90s but if this brand of brakes cause me to "collect grundge" , I for-one got flannel shirts, f-ed up, torn Levis , Lumberjack boots and tons of Subpop Lps ready to go,baby....
After installation will pressing my JK's brake pedal make it smell like teen spirit? I don't know if I can handle going thru that decade all over again so maybe I will go with the TeraFlex......

post #23 of 34 Old 01-15-2015, 04:01 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmeanie View Post
Hey guys dont mean to be a dick but this thread is for the Ksport BBK. If you want to talk about Ram 1500 or any other cheap ass brakes make a thread about it or find one, im sure there is at least 2 or 300 threads about it on this forum and others.
Well everything is kinda related.

I think they are nice looking and sound cool but not really practical.

First the huge increase in front braking is going to cause nose diving and a big imbalance in front and rear brakes. Also how are they addressing the brake pressure? I don't see a new MC or booster. They also have no test data.

Just my $0.02.
post #24 of 34 Old 01-16-2015, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartj17 View Post
I'll put my $0.02 in. After years in the racing scene, these would be awesome if you where on a pavement track doing 100+ MPH. I can't help but ask:

1. who needs a brake system that cost $2,100?

2. I also have to ask why anyone would want a slotted rotor in an environment like most people wheel in?

Average wheel size for most people on this site and others (unless your crawlin malls) is between 15-17 in wheels. If I need to run a 18-20 inch rim to fit these..... I'm not wheeling
I dont agree with comments #1 & #2, i am in the market for a BBK and I would dish out $1700-2200 on a BBK system because my JKU's a pig and I like to feel my brakes working and I like it to stop period. The stock system is shit. Guys who have a ton of money in their JK's, myself included, probably dont mind shelling out another $1700-2200 on a BBK (Willwood, Baer, Ksport ect.,,) if it means we will have performance braking and thats what we want for our builds. I think that the price is a bargain compared to Brembo's or Alcon compared at almost two times the price. Slotted rotors are used by offroad trucks all the time, most trophy trucks use slotted U shaped designs from companies like Alcon and Brembo ect.. in the harshest environments. Slotted design clears dust and mud and dirt particles from the rotors so the slotted design is a great application for any offroad environment. Cross drilled rotors I can see not being a good choice for offroad applications because of all the dirt mud dust rocks pebbles ect.. can get trapped in the drill outs.

I agree on the 18-20" comment, who the hell wants to wheel with no sidewalls on your tires, 18-20" is definitely a mall krawler thing.

JOIN THE NRA NOW!

post #25 of 34 Old 01-16-2015, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Well everything is kinda related.

I think they are nice looking and sound cool but not really practical.

First the huge increase in front braking is going to cause nose diving and a big imbalance in front and rear brakes. Also how are they addressing the brake pressure? I don't see a new MC or booster. They also have no test data.

Just my $0.02.
Teraflex sells a bigger master cylinder for around $200-

Thats what I am going to use with the BBK, after I make a decision on which BBK to go with.

http://www.teraflex.biz/brake-master...ized-bore.html

JOIN THE NRA NOW!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode