Post and rate your after market reverse camera - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-11-2015, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Post and rate your after market reverse camera

I've installed a Pioneer AVIC-8000 and am looking into reverse cameras. I can buy the pioneer model for about $100 but there are a lot of cheaper ones available online, so, what have you installed, what are your thoughts and post a pic of its install. I'm looking for the cleanest, flush mount option, but can be swayed based on feedback.

Does your camera display parking guidelines? Is it reversed so the image shows whats behind the driver rather than flip-flopped reality in terms of the image?

Have you used cameras anywhere else? The AVIC-8000 has an extra video input. Curious if others have any other cameras.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-12-2015, 12:52 AM
Rock God

Garage

Curious about this also...was thinking about using a dual input monitor, one camera wired to my reverse lights and the other, on constant feed, in the front under the bumper as a rock cam. The reverse cam would interrupt feed when shifted into reverse.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #3 of 7 Old 01-14-2015, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Didn't get any feedback so I ordered a couple different cameras that I will test out this weekend and post their info. I have the Pioneer AVIC-8000 headset that has a rear view camera input plus an additional camera input that I plan to use for a rock cam too. I'll post soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Door View Post
Curious about this also...was thinking about using a dual input monitor, one camera wired to my reverse lights and the other, on constant feed, in the front under the bumper as a rock cam. The reverse cam would interrupt feed when shifted into reverse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-15-2015, 02:57 AM
Wheeler

Garage
reverse camera

I used this camera from Amazon under $20 http://www.amazon.com/PLCM22IR-Flush...319250&sr=1-46

I don't have a picture of it as of now but I mounted it in the centercap of my spare tire. It's up out of harms way and gives a nice view.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-15-2015, 04:04 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to warcop

I ordered a cheap camera on amazon and bolted it on the rear bumper. I got the cheap one because if it gets damaged, it is cheap to replace. The parking grid-lines are a function of my receiver and not the camera. It has been on there two years. Wheeled in TX, NM, Moab UT, WA and Korea with no issues.

This looks like the one I have http://www.amazon.com/High-definitio...=backup+camera

Here is a pic of it mounted on the stock bumper.

Photo of the display

Warcop

2012 JKU Sport, Rock Krawler 2.5 Flex, Smittybilt SRC Side Armor, Mesh Grille MOD, Sony Double DIN AV Receiver, Back up Camera, Kicker Speaker Upgrade, ARB Twin Compressor, Dominion Off Road High Lift Mount, Homemade Paracord Grab Handles, Nitto Trail Grapplers, Paramount Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier, KC Hilites Daylighters, under seat lock box, Metal Cloak Front Bumper, BARTACT Seat Covers, BARTACT Sun Shade, x20 Comp Winch, sPOD, ARB Air lockers, 4.10 Gears.

Last edited by warcop; 01-15-2015 at 04:14 AM.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-15-2015, 05:15 PM
Granite Guru

Timely post. I have a friend who recently did it with a separate 3.5" monitor mounted on the dash. I like it but I think I'm going to go the indash reciever/monitor route as well.

I'm interested in your test results.

'11 JK Unlimited Sahara - 2.5 Frankenlift, ,33X12.50 Duratracs on 15" MB72s, Genright Rockers (aluminum), WURX front and rear bumpers/tire carrier, Warn winch

'01 TJ 60th Anniversary, 2" Budget Boost, 33" BFG ATs, AFW Front Bumper, Olympic Rock Bumper, Warn Engine & Steering box skid, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, OR Fab Rock Slider Bars, Rhino'd tub - GONE
post #7 of 7 Old 01-18-2015, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks to those that replied. I only received one of the two cameras I ordered, so I didn't do the tests this weekend. I did get my camera cable ran from the deck to the back so as soon as the other camera arrives, I should be able to post a quick review of the two pretty quickly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode