4wd Shifting - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 01-11-2015, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
4wd Shifting

I've noticed that on my Jeep going into 4wd isn't usually bad but switching back into 2wd from 4wd is usually a bear. does anyone else have this issue or is it a common problem? I always switch into 4wd and out of 4wd when my transmission is in neutral and my running gears aren't in a bind but sometimes it takes a couple minutes to get it out of 4wd. I try not to force the transfer case lever too hard because I don't want to break it or mess the linkage up. also I don't have a body lift so there shouldn't be a linkage issue.

2011 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
- 3.5" Rubicon Express lift /w 1.25" BL
- 5.38 Yukon gears
- 40" Pro Comp MT2's
- Lot's of extra's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-11-2015, 06:00 AM
Rock God

Make sure you are rolling forward slowly. Sometimes it will work easily stationary, sometimes not so much.
<edit> rolling forward in neutral...</edit>

I have jeeps. I do shit to them.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-11-2015, 09:49 AM
JTB
Wheeler

You should be in gear, rolling, not on the gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-11-2015, 08:15 PM
Rock God

Garage

Rather than constant pressure while trying to shift the case, while rolling, try bumping the lever firmly. Gives the gears a chance to line up.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #5 of 13 Old 01-12-2015, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

i'll try the rolling in neutral next time. usually going into 4wd is never a problem, just getting it out is the issue. i'll try the above mentioned methods next time. if nothing else I will get it into 4hi and then shift into 2hi once I am driving at low speeds. I have never had a problem with shifting out of 4hi while in motion. I just hardly ever use 4hi. when I do use 4wd, I mainly use 4lo.

2011 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
- 3.5" Rubicon Express lift /w 1.25" BL
- 5.38 Yukon gears
- 40" Pro Comp MT2's
- Lot's of extra's
post #6 of 13 Old 01-12-2015, 06:03 PM
Rock God

Garage

From the 2012 Owner's Manual:

Shifting Procedure

2H to 4H or 4H to 2H
Shifting between 2H and 4H can be made with the vehicle stopped or in motion. With the vehicle in motion, the transfer case will engage/disengage faster if you momentarily release the accelerator pedal after completing the shift. Apply a constant force when shifting the transfer case lever.

4H to 4L or 4L to 4H
With the vehicle rolling at 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5 km/h), shift an automatic transmission into NEUTRAL (N), or press the clutch pedal on a manual transmission. While the vehicle is coasting at 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5 km/h), shift the transfer case lever firmly to the desired position. Do not pause with the transfer case in N (Neutral). Once the shift is completed, place the automatic transmission into DRIVE or release the clutch pedal on a manual transmission.

NOTE: Shifting into or out of 4L is possible with the vehicle completely stopped; however, difficulty may occur due to the mating teeth not being properly aligned. Several attempts may be required for clutch teeth alignment and shift completion to occur. The preferred method is with the vehicle rolling at 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5 km/h). Avoid attempting to engage or disengage 4L with the vehicle moving faster than 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5 km/h).

WARNING!
Failure to engage a position completely can cause transfer case damage or loss of power and vehicle control. You could have a collision. Do not drive the vehicle unless the transfer case is fully engaged.

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 Old 01-14-2015, 02:50 PM
Wheeler

Can you shift from 2wd to 4wd hi at highway speeds?
post #8 of 13 Old 01-14-2015, 08:40 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by steevo View Post
Can you shift from 2wd to 4wd hi at highway speeds?

08 jkur - shifted at 50~ in the snow last week. 2h to 4h. and vice versa.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-14-2015, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

i am thinking that the manual that UnlimiDozer was providing the correct procedure from also states that xferring into 4h from just rear wheel drive /driving up to 50 or 55mph is acceptable? I never do; I never use 4h .... maybe once or twice on gravel or dirt roads ,but it is the hardest on the drivetrain + generates the most heat on tranny . I drive the automatic slushbox 42rle & baby that sh1t like you wouldn't believe ( this Jeep is my first automatic ever...learned on a 3 on the tree f100; owned over 15 cars and Jeeps over 30 years= all manual.>..lol) plus where I go it is either 90mph on the freeway or once I am at OHV location, I am usually vertical bound and going 2mph. 4H is a farmer's club and a tc gear I have to shift past to engage all four wheels.....

post #10 of 13 Old 01-16-2015, 05:38 PM
Wheeler

I agree, I got a 2012 JKU I bought new,,,,it's the pull on the lever "tug" to get it into 4- high...Not a lot of pull, but I have put some pressure on pulling it back toward me. I talked to some guys with the JK model, and I was told they just touch the lever and it pops into 4 wheel using a little finger?...I need to put some pressure when I pull, and also putting it back into 2 wheel. I also got the AUTO trans. , and shifting that, it just slides right into gear. The 4-wheel lever is a little stiff and takes a little more pull to get it in or out of 4-wheel...I was told this was normal... Is it normal to have to put some pressure on the lever hen pulling into 4-wheel? Even while moving? Just feels a little stiff.....Everybody got to give theirs a little pull to get it in?

~Ed~
post #11 of 13 Old 01-16-2015, 09:10 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Pursell View Post
. . . I need to put some pressure when I pull, and also putting it back into 2 wheel. I also got the AUTO trans. , and shifting that, it just slides right into gear. The 4-wheel lever is a little stiff and takes a little more pull to get it in or out of 4-wheel...I was told this was normal... Is it normal to have to put some pressure on the lever when pulling into 4-wheel? Even while moving? Just feels a little stiff.....Everybody got to give theirs a little pull to get it in?
Yes, it's normal. You have to overcome the detents designed to keep the shifter from popping out of a given position.

It doesn't need to be forced, but it's a no-electrobullshit manual shifter. <--That's a feature, not a flaw.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #12 of 13 Old 01-17-2015, 02:34 AM
Granite Guru

dont force it, i had to get my shifter cable replaced not too long ago bc of that. good thing it was covered under warranty though.
post #13 of 13 Old 01-17-2015, 07:16 AM
Rock God

Garage

I have the same issue in my 2015 Rubicon and I had it in my 2013 Sahara. I thought maybe it was just because I am a newbie. Thanks for sharing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode