CJSparky's 2015 JKUR build thread - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 01-10-2015, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

CJSparky's 2015 JKUR build thread

Hello all. Build will go slow, but I want to start a thread early for advice, and for posterity sake. So outside of a complete overhaul of my stereo, speakers, and a custom Subwoofer enclosure in the back (irony, it is in the same place as the old Subwoofers due to the proprietary OVAL sub by Alpine), My Jeep is completely stock.

Heres what I am starting with:
2015 JK Unlimited Rubicon - Anvil
Automatic Transmission
4.1 Axle ratio
Leather Seats
Premium Soft Top
Connectivity Group
Auto A/C
Added a Hitch receiver and waiting harness from Quadritech.

Phase I - Trail ready - 4-5 months - Getting the Jeep light trail ready. Keeping the stock bumpers, buying trail gear, Budget Lift, Wheels and Tires, and a slider/step for my 5'nothing girlfriend. Would love input on my choices all around, especially the items that are "Pending"

Upgrades: Total Cost to date $5025

- Cobra 75 CB, Coax Cable, Antenna, stud and mount bracket. - Installed - $170
- Budget Lift - Rough Country 2.5" Spacer Lift - Delivered - Install 1/24/15 - $200
***CAVEAT*** THIS IS NOT A LONG TERM LIFT - I am choosing to get this lift now, as It will allow me to move to a 35" tire quickly for light trail, and looks...and also allow me to sell my Rubicon takeoffs with less than 3K miles on them. I should be able to come close to recouping the cost of this lift with the added $ for selling nearly new Rubi takeoffs.
- ACE JK Rock Sliders - Install OVER Rubi Rails (4 Door) - ORDERED 1-21-15 - $395
- Recovery Strap, 20K Lbs. - Pending
- 5 Wheels ProComp 7069's - Ordered - Price below
- 5 Tires GY 35x12.50R17 - Ordered - Set of 5 wheels and tires - $2425
- Rear Bumper - ACE JK Pro Series Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier - ORDERED 1-21-15 - $935

Phase II - Trail Capability - 1-2 Years - Permanent lift kit and armor. This Jeep is my DD so nothing too outlandish. Good looking with an edge, and capable.

- Lift - Metalcloak 3.5" GameChanger ARB/FOX/6PAK?
- Front Bumper - ?

- Fender Flares - Poison Spyder?
- Under Body Armor - ?

Cant wait till parts begin to arrive!

2015 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Kenwood - Focal - JL...The rest is STOCK
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Cjsparky; 01-21-2015 at 12:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-10-2015, 07:07 PM
Granite Guru

Don't give up ground clearance for step surface, I got a 2 step ladder for my wife for like $15 at Lowes. It's light and folds flat. I would rather deal with that than get hung up on the rockers all the time

2012 JKU, stock for now, but gathering parts
post #3 of 22 Old 01-11-2015, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

The Ace Sliders are more slides than steps. Not much hangs down, and the mount points that do will be no where near the lowest. Ideal for rock crawling? No, probably not, but a good compromise to make the Jeep more DD friendly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 01-11-2015, 08:12 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjsparky View Post
The Ace Sliders are more slides than steps. Not much hangs down, and the mount points that do will be no where near the lowest. Ideal for rock crawling? No, probably not, but a good compromise to make the Jeep more DD friendly.
Have you seen a set in person to know this? Add about 4" to the bottom of your Rubicon rail, and that's where the tube is with the ACE slider installed. Before I saw them, I was like you, thought they were great...my buddy put them on his Jeep. They weren't great for ground clearance. He ran them for about a year then yanked them off when he found a pair of MOPAR enhanced rocker rails (the ones that came on the 10A's). Another option would be a Rico Step from Poison Spyder. Basically for about 250 bucks, they give you two pieces of DOM and a couple of step plates that weld to the side of your existing Rubicon rail and provide a step and some lateral rigidity to the rail itself.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #5 of 22 Old 01-12-2015, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Door View Post
Have you seen a set in person to know this? Add about 4" to the bottom of your Rubicon rail, and that's where the tube is with the ACE slider installed. Before I saw them, I was like you, thought they were great...my buddy put them on his Jeep. They weren't great for ground clearance. He ran them for about a year then yanked them off when he found a pair of MOPAR enhanced rocker rails (the ones that came on the 10A's). Another option would be a Rico Step from Poison Spyder. Basically for about 250 bucks, they give you two pieces of DOM and a couple of step plates that weld to the side of your existing Rubicon rail and provide a step and some lateral rigidity to the rail itself.
Just pictures...The pictures don't look like they hang that far, but now you got me thinking...

Will start looking at alternatives.

post #6 of 22 Old 01-12-2015, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

OK so everyone loves pictures! Nothing to see that you have not already, but here is my blank canvas. I am very excited to even have a Factory Rubicon at this point...My Jeep replaced a 2011 Honda Element.

A HONDA ELEMENT. My boss (Big Mike) used to make vagina jokes. He still does because I got 4 doors, but they are not nearly as frequent.

First time the doors came off...

Tonight I started my first install. Ran the CB cable from my tire carrier to under my Glove box. Antenna mount by Rugged Ridge. The top is not really level, so the thing was engineered sloppily...but it will get the job done till I get a rear bumper and tire carrier to replace the stock stuff.

Thanks for following along!

Last edited by Cjsparky; 01-12-2015 at 04:57 PM.
post #7 of 22 Old 01-14-2015, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Finished the install of the CB. Cobra 75.

Nothing new with this picture...

This may help a few folks. From the passenger side to engine compartment, I used a piece of 1/8" weld steel to breech the foam barrier as seen in the following 2 pics...Used the weld steel to snake the positive cable through by taping the cable to the end of the steel.

And then I drilled the passenger dash consoe below the glove box to not stand out, and installed the CB trim piece.

Wont do much till the 24th when I am planning on installing the spacer lift...then wheels and tires once the MTR/K's are off backorder.

Last edited by Cjsparky; 01-14-2015 at 09:23 AM.
post #8 of 22 Old 01-14-2015, 09:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Good job Danialson.

The ELEMENT. Nobody would ride to lunch with him for fear of getting a yeast infection.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #9 of 22 Old 01-15-2015, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Tried to dial in the antenna last night, and the SWR meter was pegged at about 3.5. Not good. Did not realize I had to ground the antenna mount, so will run a dedicated ground from stud to chassis tonight and re-try. Hope this fixes the issue, otherwise I've got some more snooping to do. I did some continuity checks and they looked ok, but there are more tests specific to the stud, and mount grounding I can do next. This is my first CB so I am kind of learning as I go.

Updated the first post to reflect my order of 5 new wheels and tires! YAY!

post #10 of 22 Old 01-15-2015, 09:18 AM
Granite Guru

As far as long term lift, I am not sure you need to go super tall. I have a 2.5in lift and can run 37in tires. I did trim the rear fenders, and have 2in bump stop extensions, but it works really well and has a low COG.

Just my .02 cents
post #11 of 22 Old 01-15-2015, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.cross View Post
As far as long term lift, I am not sure you need to go super tall. I have a 2.5in lift and can run 37in tires. I did trim the rear fenders, and have 2in bump stop extensions, but it works really well and has a low COG.

Just my .02 cents
If I like the stance of the Budget Boost I may go with the 2.5" Coils when I upgrade to the MC Lift. I like the idea of the minimum lift for 35's. I like the COG low as well.

post #12 of 22 Old 01-21-2015, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Did some ordering!

Superchips 3570 Ordered!
Antenna X Ordered!
Ace Sliders Ordered!
Ace Rear bumper and tire carrier Ordered!

Exciting things in the works!

post #13 of 22 Old 01-21-2015, 07:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjsparky View Post
My boss (Big Mike) used to make vagina jokes. He still does because I got 4 doors, but they are not nearly as frequent.

Your boss is Big Mike? Damn dude.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #14 of 22 Old 01-22-2015, 05:37 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
Your boss is Big Mike? Damn dude.
Best boss he ever had. I even let him wash my Jeep once a week. He's a great employee too as long as I can keep him out of trouble with HR.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #15 of 22 Old 01-22-2015, 07:26 AM
JKowners Vendor

Want to wire up all my Kicker speakers?

RK
post #16 of 22 Old 01-22-2015, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension View Post
Want to wire up all my Kicker speakers?

RK
I had a shop do all my speakers/sub/amp for me.

post #17 of 22 Old 02-04-2015, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

OK so I got some better pictures!

Side view of the Jeep as it stands today.

Side view of the slider profile. Leslie appreciates this.

Rear view of the Jeep with new Ace Pro-Series.

And the Delta 3rd Taillight Kit is installed.

Next up...Front Bumper and Fender Flares...still tossing around ideas.

Flares...Deciding between PS and Crawler Concepts at this time.

Last edited by Cjsparky; 02-04-2015 at 08:28 AM.
post #18 of 22 Old 02-04-2015, 08:41 AM
Granite Guru

Looking good man...

Amp'd 14 JK Unlimited Rubicon | RE 2.5 Lift | RK Control Arms | Poison Spyder Brawler Bumper & Narrow Crusher Flares | JW Speaker Headlights and Tails | Vision-X LEDs | Adams Shafts | Method Mesh Wheels | 35x12.50x17 General Grabber AT2's | SuperChips FlashPaq | Pioneer 8100NEX

post #19 of 22 Old 02-04-2015, 09:05 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Looks good. Are the lug nuts tight?

, Granite,
post #20 of 22 Old 02-04-2015, 10:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

You wheeling with us this weekend?

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #21 of 22 Old 02-04-2015, 03:18 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
Best boss he ever had. I even let him wash my Jeep once a week. He's a great employee too as long as I can keep him out of trouble with HR.
Shame they stopped making the Granite colour as an option, you guys could have had a club in the parking lot everyday...sure Mike would love that.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #22 of 22 Old 02-05-2015, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
You wheeling with us this weekend?
Not this weekend. GF returns home from England. Duty calls.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode