Minor wreck...bigger problems - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-08-2015, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Minor wreck...bigger problems

I apologize in advance for the long winded question...

Back in September I got into a game of 'chicken' with a deer crossing the road. I thought I got the best of the deer but it seems to be getting the best of me.

Body shop took the jeep in found body damage to grill hood and passenger fender. When they got to the mechanical side of the inspection my drag link had taken a huge hit and was bent around 3" towards the rear of the jeep. When I hit the deer I had a bad case of death wobble. I hit the deer at roughly 45-50mph. So hit the brakes and got it under control, managed to keep it out the ditches as there was no shoulder on either side of the road.

I voiced concern from the beginning that the steering box needed to be looked at considering that was what took the bulk of the impact (i was running synergy drag link--pretty beefy). Also the ball joints due to the major death wobble that occurred. I had replaced them 5 months prior with alloy usa ball joints.

Woke up Monday to a screeching belt under the hood, checked it out and power steering pulley had rubber melted onto it. So I took the tension off the belt and removed it. Power steering pulley moves freely by hand.

My question is would the impact on the drag link cause internal damage to the steering box causing metal flakes/chips/fragments to run through the power steering system and collect in the pump causing it to seize up? Trying to figure out whether I need to just swap out a power steering pump or is there possibly an underlying issue here that should be covered by insurance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-08-2015, 03:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Have you drained the fluid to see if in fact you have metal shavings in the power steering system? Maybe even dip a magnet into the reservoir and see what comes out?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-08-2015, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

No. Didn't want to mess with it at all until I had an idea of what the insurance company would do. Also wasn't sure if when drained would the shavings flow freely or be held up in the pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-09-2015, 04:33 AM
Granite Guru

With grill and hood damage...did the body shop mention whether the radiator mount was bent, possibly pushing it into the fan/belt assembly?
Do all of the other pulleys look ok, move ok?

I would second checking the PS fluid. Even if you don't drain it...dipping a magnet in it might show if you've got metal shavings there.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-10-2015, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

everything visibly looks fine. I found a small amount of metal in the reservoir. Not a mechanic so I'm not sure if i should be finding a lot or if any amount is a concern. I removed serpentine belt and turned the pulley by hand and got it to move freely. Through the belt back on and and tried cranking the jeep, pulley is turning now with just a squeal from the belt. Definitely need a new belt but unsure if pumps bad? gear box is bad? State farm came out and took a look this am and basically just told me to bring it in to a shop for a inspection. Once again I don't know what you can expect to see by just looking at it but we will see. I'm three days out from getting a pump delivered from local auto stores. I may get one on order and still take the jeep in Monday to see what they say. If they replace great. IF not I will have a new pump in Wednesday.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-13-2015, 06:23 AM
Rock God

I'm thinking if the impact was big enough to bend you synergy drag link 3" it is a very real possibility that the steering gearbox could be damage.

Justin
2009 Sahara Unlimited-The Saharacon
Just hanging out in the land of the banned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode